Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oil Leak 99 Aristo Twin Turbo

Recently had my Turbos Re conditioned and had steel put in rather than ceramic.

However 2 points i would like to bring up for discussion.

The mechanic said there was oil all over the place like the catalac converter and the exhaust system. They cleaned out as much as possible etc etc

The car still smokes a little when hot and idle, he said this is the oil in the converter and the mufflers that couldnt be removed, and will burn out as you drive. its been 4 weeks and still when hot a little smoke. I asked if there was anyway to clean the converter or exhaust and he said no as you may cause damage.

Is there anything i can do????? to rid the oil in these places

2. I now have an engine oil leak that wasnt there before, took it back and they say its the rear rubber seal on the engine and its a big job to remove it as the transmition etc has to be removed etc. Could they have damaged this seal in the process of refitting my Turbos.

Thanks in advance

As for the oil leak on the engine - rubber seal, depends on where this seal is located as to wheather they could have damaged this.

The oil on the exhaust will burn it's way out, but will not take week's, depending on our long you drive the car and how often, maybe a couple of days. If still smoking, can only think that the oil is still leaking onto this point.

BR

Paul

Thanks for the reply and info.

They said it was the rear engine seal, so dont know if that was removed

but defently wasnt leaking before went inot workshop,

Also still smoking done about 1800 km since coming out of workshop took itback twice and they said there was heaps of oil in the 2 rear mufflers and cat converter. Is there a way to clean the mufflers and cat converter. Maybe some water or (kerosine) :)

thanks

they would not have removed the box to renew the turbos ,the seal in question is a big one and realy needs doing .the oil is probaly comming out between engine and gearbox and dripping onto the exhaust ,as the machanic said it is a massive job .you could try some stop leak that you add to the engine oil as this will slow it up for a while but not cure long term .

The rear engine oil seal,normally only gives trouble and leaks,when the engine is over filled with oil,when the oil is over the max on the dipstick.That builds more pressure in the engine and normally blows the rear engine oil seal.The seal can be replaced leaving the engine in the car,and just remove the gearbox and torque converter if its a Auto.Yes a big job,but not much worst than changing a clutch in a manual car.

Cheers chips.

The safest way I can think of is to get some de-greaser - GUNK - works well for me when I use it, and a spray bottle, spray the de-greaser into the muffler when cold, wait for about 20 minutes and then spray cold water in. If possible, try to have the car at a slope with exhaust pointing downwards, this stop most of the water from going to far into the exhaust. If possible, take the exhaust muffler off and then you can really get a see-saw action going to get to all the oil in the hard to get places. Run the car for about 10 minutes to dry out, this will prevent any water damage to the mufflers.

The CAT - you can do the same but you stand a chance of killing it, don't know of anyone that has tried this so be warned - RISKY

• 3 weeks later...

IM back unfortunatly:)

I have taken back the car to the shop as it was still smoking and told him to fix it

He said it may be the stem seals as he noticed water there but thought it was from the turbos. I told him no way its the turbos etc and he is getting the turbo reconditioning guys in to check as its still under warranty.

I havnt noticed any water in the engin etc, is this guy taking me for a ride.

what happens when the stem seals in the head go and would it smoke

only when in idle as mine does. thanks in advance.

IM back unfortunatly:)

what happens when the stem seals in the head go and would it smoke

only when in idle as mine does.    thanks in advance.

If the stem seals are worn then the first sign is that when the cars first started in the morning you will see some blue smoke for 10 seconds or so,thats the oil being burnt off the tops of the pistons where its run down from the top of the head overnight.If the engines smoking on idle then it could be the stem seals but they are more worn or it could be something more worst,also check the breather pipe which comes from the rocker cover and goes into the induction of the engine,if thats blocked that will cause problems.

Myself,if id payed good money to have the car sorted out at a garage then i wouldnt be happy until theyve sorted it out for me.If you think there taking you for a ride then tell them your going to get a another garage to look at it for a second option and your sending them the bill.

Hope all your troubles are fixed soon.

Cheers chips.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links