Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Power Steering Fluid Bubbling

i noticed the other night after i had got home after a 30 mile fast drive on some quiet A roads that when i lifted up the bonnet the tick over was up and down slightly between about 750 rpm and 1000 rpm, also there was a slight high pitched noise ( like air being sucked in ) somewhere near the top right of the engine, also i noticed that the power steering was bubbling inside the bottle a bit.

i havent noticed it since but i just wondered what it could be and is there anything i need to check out or look out for. :duh:

cheers chris

top right as u look at it or top right when looking forward??

if its top right when u look at engine, check the 2 little pipes that are next to the throttle body, these are for the MAP sensor and one is vacuum, so would explin the sound u heard if the hose was loose or split.

the bubbling - have a good look , sure it was just the fluid circulating from the pump.

yeah fluff it was top right as you look at the engine from the grille, i was certain the noise was coming from the throttle area but my missus said it was coming from further to the middle, ill have a good look at those two pipes you mentioned they sound like likely culprits.

if thse pies are split could they account for the revs altering slightly ? ?

as for the power steering fluid its probably been like that since day one ive just never really looked or noticed it before, i need to pay more attenetion to the engine as i dont have a clue. :blush:

cheers for the help :D

if there was only a slight leak or a split in the pipe somewhere in that area there would be pressure differences all the time as it momentaraly sucks in a bit of ambient air, this may account for the slight rev change, but i am not 100% sure, i do however know if one of the pipes is 100% off, the revs do stay the same.

Have u had a slight loss of power at all?

the steering fluid bubble is just the fluid circulating, nothing to worry about, just make sure it is at the right level.

checked both pipes and they seem fine, although difficult to get a good look at them but i couldnt find any holes splits or damage, the cars only 2 years old so i cant imagine any rubber degrading that quick anyway, i can still hear the noise slightly but it may just be the throttle spring which is wound around the throttle assembly, this tends to vibrate like mad once the throttle is released.

your right about the power steering fluid, its fine no problems there.

I think the noise will remain a mystery as ive listened for ages today and i couldnt determine exactly where it was coming from.

the revs have remained constant since that hard drive last week so i cant tell if they are connected or not.

it will have to remian a mystery for now

thanks anyway fluff, ill bring you some toblerone when im next in switzerland sometime over the summer. :winky:

chris