Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dunlop Sp9000

squarehead

Ordered 2 SP9000 Lexus type tyres for my IS200 @ £109 each incl. fitting.

Anybody had any experience on the Lexus type as I've been running standard sp9000's. The garage advised me to get these as they're harder wearing and less prone to feathering.

Cheers!

the only difference is a bit of a lip that protects the rim. i've had both and there is not really much difference to be honest. the lexus type you refer to is the japanese version and the other version are manufactured in germany i believe. didnt notice any difference on wear between the two.

Squarehead,

I just got 4 SP9000s last Thursday :D , nice looking tyre :geek: but they sound a bit "louder" than the factory Bridgestone Potenzas in my opinion :crybaby: , the Potenza also had a nice rib of rubber to protect the rim but these sidewalls are pretty flat to be honest. :blink:

Get your alignment done :excl: . I searched high and low for someone to do a proper check on my geometry before I got the new rubber as I didn't want the insides wearing off my new fronts like they did on the original tyres :angry: . Got the whole lot checked and the toe was way out on my car (wheels turned too far outwards and trying to turn the car in two directions at once if you follow). Camber was also out on the rears. They reset all four wheels on the old tyres and I am going back at the end of this week to let them recheck the settings based on the new tyres. Must say the car steers alot better now, not nearly as twitchy as before so hopefully I'm sorted :shifty:

Surprising what they tell you.

When I got my new one a few months back from a main dealer they said that the Lexus ones had a stiffer wall.

I hunted high and low for an independent dealer but none had the Lexus variety in stock and those that tried to order said there were none in the country at that time.

Main dealer had loads though.

I got the Lexus Sp9000s recently, but the pronounced lip is no longer there. Its apparently a stiffer sidewall tho. In my opinion, the Dunlops are a lot better than the bridgestones. There's less noise and more grip. However, the difference is not too great.

Has anyone driven an '05' IS that has the new tyres on? Have no idea why they've changed them but they now have the SP Sport 8090 tyres on them, which are the worst tyres I have ever used. They are incredibly noisy on any surface other than brand new tarmac, and have no grip whatsoever (so scared in the wet cos it keeps losing grip in the dry! :blink: )

we chnaged all 4 tyres to the lex version of the sp9000.

the difficulty is that we live in MK which had lots of roundabouts-----now this is fantastic as it means traffic flows really well and fast but it eats tires and brakes.

our tires are all starting to feather and they`ve done <1500m!!!!!

Still, when they replaced them we had a fright as all tyres had worn edges, therefore needed replacing, but the "flat" part was completely slick. And i didn`t even see that............if we`d have been caught we`d not only have been fined but quite possibly shot................on sight. Check them tyres THOROUGHLY :D

GOOD TIP for brakes in MK--------

go to a franchise, eg KWIK fit, formula 1 etc.................once brakes have worn b4 12000 miles or 1 year (which they will do :D ), go back to garage, have a whinge etc----they get replaced FOC :winky: :whistling: 3x in a row is our record at F1 in bletchley!!!!! Guarantees are great :D

Got 2 Lexus SP9000's fitted today and they have a larger lip rim protector than the standard SP9000's. If anybody else is after them I purchased them from johnsons tyres in Wrexham @ £108 each.

Could you put up a picture of them, cos the ones I have (supposedly Lexus ones) don't have a pronounced lip ;)

Got 2 Lexus SP9000's fitted today and they have a larger lip rim protector than the standard SP9000's. If anybody else is after them I purchased them from johnsons tyres in Wrexham @ £108 each.

:offtopic: Wrexham eh? Just down the road from me, I'm in Ellesmere :) Nice to know I am not quite so isolated from the rest of the LOC world :lol:

Anybody had any experience on the Lexus type as I've been running standard sp9000's. The garage advised me to get these as they're harder wearing and less prone to feathering.

Cheers!

can you have a look and see what the tread wear is pls.

:) I've got the lexus type sp9000s on the car, fitted to the wheels a couple of months ago, was told that the walls are stiffer than the other ones made in germany, also the lip does stick out more. :winky:

Cheers!

can you have a look and see what the tread wear is pls.

Treadwear for a Lexus SP9000 is 280. I don't know whether or not this is the same as for a non-Lexus SP9000.

Im about to order 2 Dunlop sport 9000's (215/45zr17) for my is200 for £86.40 inc vat and delivery, garage down the road ganna fit for a tenner a piece when they do my MOT. Anyone found anywhere else on the net cheaper? im getting them from www.mytyres.co.uk ive had a look around these are as cheap as i can find them.

Whats the craic with the Dunlop sport 9000's are they the standard tyre for a is200. Any other tyres come highly recommended?

Cheers

Neil

Mine had Bridgestone Potenza RE040s factory fitted on a 2003........... don't know if Dunlops were factory fitted to earlier models?

I would guess that the Dunlops were the original ones as there is a specific 'Lexus' version, but I think its down to the dealer whether they fir Bridgestones or Dunlops. In my own experience, Edgware Road fit Dunlops, Woodford fit Bridgestones, so this must occur all over the country :)

Here's the pic with the lexus type on the left and the standard on the right

I hope you can view it!

Hmmmm, that is what I was expecting when I was getting the Lexus ones, because the original ones on the car looked like that. They assured me tho that they were Lexus ones, so I assumed they must have changed the design. Seems I might have been conned :angry:

Sorry to hear that parthiban - might be worth a visit back to the garage you bought them from? Especially if you paid more as the Lexus ones are £5-£10 more expensive.

To help answer other questions, my IS had Bridgestone Potenza's on from new and I swapped them to Dunlop's based on the recommendations (and price) from LOC.

Here's the pic with the lexus type on the left and the standard on the right

I hope you can view it!

Hmmmm, that is what I was expecting when I was getting the Lexus ones, because the original ones on the car looked like that. They assured me tho that they were Lexus ones, so I assumed they must have changed the design. Seems I might have been conned :angry:

:driving: you will find that the standard lexus one's will have 'made in japan' on them and the non standard ones will have 'made in germany' on them. That is the best way to tell the difference if you are not sure if you have got the right one's :winky:

Sorry to hear that parthiban - might be worth a visit back to the garage you bought them from? Especially if you paid more as the Lexus ones are £5-£10 more expensive.

To help answer other questions, my IS had Bridgestone Potenza's on from new and I swapped them to Dunlop's based on the recommendations (and price) from LOC.

Well its not really a big deal, as I only paid £100 each, which was the same as the normal ones. I'm pretty careful when parking, the only real reason I wanted the Lexus ones was that I prefer the way they look with the slight gap to the wheel, makes the profile look smaller :whistling:

Didn't know the Lexus ones were made in Japan, will check that when I get the car back :winky: