Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dunlop Sp9000

squarehead

Here's the pic with the lexus type on the left and the standard on the right

I hope you can view it!

Hmmmm, that is what I was expecting when I was getting the Lexus ones, because the original ones on the car looked like that. They assured me tho that they were Lexus ones, so I assumed they must have changed the design. Seems I might have been conned :angry:

:driving: you will find that the standard lexus one's will have 'made in japan' on them and the non standard ones will have 'made in germany' on them. That is the best way to tell the difference if you are not sure if you have got the right one's :winky:

As far as I know the only way to tell the difference is to check where they are made. The Lexus/Japanese SP9000s have a stiffer sidewall which is better suited to the IS. Other than that they are identical. I had a German set of SP9000 on the front of mine and they wore on the edges in no time at all. The Japanese versions are much better.

If you can't get the Japanese SP9000s you might be be better off with Toyo Proxies...

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone driven an '05' IS that has the new tyres on? Have no idea why they've changed them but they now have the SP Sport 8090 tyres on them, which are the worst tyres I have ever used. They are incredibly noisy on any surface other than brand new tarmac, and have no grip whatsoever (so scared in the wet cos it keeps losing grip in the dry!  :blink: )

Unfortunately, I'm the owner of an '05' IS with the Dunlop 8090 tyres. Yes they are rubbish. Noisy and not very grippy. I'm working hard on wearing mine down a little more before I swap over to something better. Maybe a 'gentle' track session with lots of untidy laps would be in order :)

That said, I've been alternating between P-Zeros and Pilot Sport for the longest time (previous ride, GF's car, etc) and so I'm a little spoilt. I think I'm probably going to go for the full P-Zero setup (P Zero Direzionale Front, P Zero Asimmetrico Rear) when I judge that my 8090s are sufficiently worn :)

I'm about to get 2 new rear tyres and it's the first time I've got new ones for my IS. From the prices I've got so far it looks like it will cost £30-40 more to have the Lexus SP9000 tyres fitted as opposed to the standard ones. The front has the standard SP9000s fitted.

Can anyone tell me if it is worth the extra cost involved?

According to Dunlop, the non-lexus version of the SP9000 Sports are NOT recommended for use on the IS200 as it upsets the handling.

The differences between the Lexus and non Lexus versions are....

1. Lexus version is made in Japan, non is made in Germany

2. Lexus version has Lexus on the tyre sticker - check before fitting!

3. Lexus version has stiffer tyre walls

4. Lexus version has different tyre compound - the tread wear rating is AA rather than A.

Micheldever tyres in Hampshire do them for about £90-£100 as do Headley Tyres near Newbury. Make sure the tyre dealer is 100% sure they are the Lexus ones, as most don't know the difference and may even have to order them.

If they are havingn difficulty getting them, call Dunlop support and mention it, as they say they will supply dealers quickly if they know they have customers waiting. Otherwise large dealers order up loads of stock to be stuck on shelves!!

Also, the new Dunlops, SP Sport Maxx or whatever, about 4 months ago, Dunlop were still recommending using the SP9000 Sports for the the Lexus. Shame, cos the new ones are supposed to be really good.

I find the Dunlops to be excellent for tyre wear and pretty good too for grip, though the bridgestones are quieter.

Hope this helps you all, feel free someone to add Dunlop tyre details to Knowledge base if you want.

Kev mentioned the SP Sport Maxx.

I asked Dunlop about the SP Sport Maxx, which is newer than the 9000 and for which I had seen good reviews. Their reply is:

"The 9000 is specifically homologated for the Lexus IS200 & would recommend

that tyre. The Sport Maxx has not yet been authorised by Lexus to date

thus the reason for our recommendation."

Is that because the 9000 is more suitable or the newer tyre has just not been looked at by Lexus and/or they can't get a good enough deal to specify it as original equipment?

Guess I'll go for the Lexus 9000s then. Problem is the cheapest I seem to be able to find these round here are £118 each (fitted). Anyone know anywhere in the Sunderland area that you can get these cheaper? It doesn't look like too many of you are from this far North though...

I can't afford to get all 4 tyres changed now though (need a service and tax is due end of June) so I'm stuck with the standards on the front. When they wear out I'll replace them with the Lexus ones.

Oh, and just out of interest, what tyre came on your spare wheel? Mine has apparently never been used since it came from the factory but it only has a Dunlop SP 2000 on it. Is this right?

Thanks for the advice.

the japenise ones have double rim protection,it does work to protect your rims very well,always check when buying ,these are the better tyre by far.too exspensive for my liking though ,you can get all different kinds of tyres with the same quality for a lot less.

• 2 years later...

Hi

I just had Dunlop Sp9000 fitted to my lexus 215/45/17 the Lexus version and yes they do have a lip to protect the rims!

I got them for £75 a tyre fitted from Brackbell Tyres on Longshot Lnae absolute bargain!

I used to have Falken Ze512 and they lasted 14K and I drive carefully I was disgusted with the wear on them and they are absolutely CRAP too!

Hi

I just had Dunlop Sp9000 fitted to my lexus 215/45/17 the Lexus version and yes they do have a lip to protect the rims!

I got them for £75 a tyre fitted from Brackbell Tyres on Longshot Lnae absolute bargain!

I used to have Falken Ze512 and they lasted 14K and I drive carefully I was disgusted with the wear on them and they are absolutely CRAP too!

Didn't the fronts wear the inners and the rears the middle due to Geometry issues and motorway driving?

Hi

Didn't the fronts wear the inners and the rears the middle due to Geometry issues and motorway driving?

Yeh both front were worn on the inners and were bold! And the rears were worn in the centre about 2 inches in the middle of the tyre and were bold! Yes I do a lot of motorway driving approx 80 miles everyday mon - fri with the occasional 200 miles to leicester and back on the weekends!

I had uniroyal rainsports 1's when I got the car and they did 28k they did have front inner wear but were fine at the back! I will be getting it checked out by the DR once I get some shocks sorted!

If a tyre has two options lexus and non lexus then i woulnt even consider the non lexus ones ... must be a reason for this!!

I was told that the German SP9000 where not designed for and should not be used on the lexus and that is why they made the lexus versions in Japan.

If i was you i'd stick to this or get a different make or brand.