Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Brakes To Go For?

JC Altezza

hi all......

was just wondering is it worth while investing in a bbk......

currently im standard all im adding will be manifold, exhaust and panel filter/induction kit.....

my discs are starting t look a bit warped and the spurious pads on the car (previous owner) have cn better days.....

so my question to u is what to go for:

1) a 4pot bbk with larger rotors or

2) uprated discs + pads and braided lines........

could you tell me where to get parts and how much they will set me back....

cheers

John

Why do you want a BBK? If it's because you do track days then fair enough. But The Tezza/IS brakes are more than adequate for street use (they are used on the GS!).

Just get uprated discs, pads and brake lines - will be more effective and cheaper.

a bigger brake kit looks good also...and yeh whilst the oem kit may be good for the GS aswell as the IS,, neither are boosted and if ya boosted you aitn gona be driving like a granny now are you...

Quick heads up.........Prolex-UK will be offering the mother of all BBK kits shortly. Should be unveiled @ JAE this is all our own stuff using OEM or better quality components.

Personally if you are serious about going to 250 + BHP then you need to stop quickly & repeatedly.

Dave,

Does the 'mother' of all BBK kits mean the mother of price tags too?

It seem BBK for jap cars are very highly prices compared to likes of German and Europeon cars...

Your thoughts?

Dave,

It seem BBK for jap cars are very highly prices compared to likes of German and Europeon cars...

Your thoughts?

Am,

Will be competitively priced.

rotor sizes for 18" wheels only.....332 front 355 rear........(not sure if they will be slotted/drilled or both yet)

will keep you appraised (testing on my car) should be well below £1500 for front & rear (calipers/rotors) & braided hoses.

May do a GB to reduce price further if we can get 5 peeps interested.

Dave

Dave,

Your thoughts?

Am,

rotor sizes for 18" wheels only.....332 front 355 rear........(not sure if they will be slotted/drilled or both yet)

will keep you appraised (testing on my car) should be well below £1500 for front & rear (calipers/rotors) & braided hoses.

Dave

:whistling: Let me know as soon as they go on your car dave and i will come over and take a look see :D

Dave,

Your thoughts?

Am,

Dave

Dave,

Thats all good, but imo your limiting your market with that much of a MONSTER kit, i.e. front and rears, unless there is a market for it? I mean seriously will anyone need THAT much braking power? Thats about £250 more than your current front BBK kit, does that mean its extra £250 for Bigger front, rear rotors and Discs and lines? .... I'm sure more ppl would like a more competitive priced front BBK setup...

I just think the front BBK kits out there for SXE/GXE's are way over priced....

Unless your thinking everyones going to go the JZA70 route? lol or IS300/Altezza's with 350-400bhp under the hood?

Not personal attack just thinking what the average person wants thats all...

Dave,

Your thoughts?

Am,

Dave

Dave,

Thats all good, but imo your limiting your market with that much of a MONSTER kit, i.e. front and rears, unless there is a market for it? I mean seriously will anyone need THAT much braking power? Thats about £250 more than your current front BBK kit, does that mean its extra £250 for Bigger front, rear rotors and Discs and lines? .... I'm sure more ppl would like a more competitive priced front BBK setup...

Unless your thinking everyones going to go the JZA70 route? lol or IS300/Altezza's with 350-400bhp under the hood?

I'm sure I could offer the fronts only..........

Tis all about braking later :winky:

Dave,

Your thoughts?

Am,

Dave

Dave,

I dont know about you but at the end of the day i want as much BHP i can get out or try and get out of my IS-Turbo 400+ :winky: BBK,s will be on my list of things to get :whistling:

400BHP+?

*****, thats pretty impressived if you do! :o

For sure you will need monster brakes. I can't stop mine for $hit after 2-3 high speed braking stops (from 100-120mph most cases) there awful! and i;m only probably only 30-40hp more than you (270ish...)

well i keep glazing my pads and its annoying the ******* outa me!

like the idea of a BBK but this is where i get confused, would a larger disc combined with standard caliper and bracket provide enough force or does it always have to include a 4 pot type caliper,

if so i would love AP racing set, but more and more lately i just feel like ditching the IS and getting a car that comes with it all as standard - like the 350z etc and not paying ££££££ just for small gains. could have bought and paid for a full 350z with all the trimmings by now and its not even half the car it is!

I feel what your saying Don...

I've shelled out nearly £25k buying my tezza' and modding her.

Could of had a TVR for that money :crybaby:

DAYUM!

Was planning to sell mine this year, but the work gone into the install means we will have to get some advertising out of it, so gonna have to stay till around next september :(

Anyone want first dibs?

lol

to be honest i have my eyes on a VW phaeton.

Just wanna get some 20" rims on it like the ones you have and just roll it as standard, its got air suspension as standard that raises and lowers and about a million more things.

i love my passat more than the lexus, and the phaeton is 10x the car that the passat is

Why do you want a BBK?  If it's because you do track days then fair enough.  But The Tezza/IS brakes are more than adequate for street use (they are used on the GS!).

Just get uprated discs, pads and brake lines - will be more effective and cheaper.

sorry i cant hold my tongue any longer as your comments have been niggling me somewhat..

As a customer of Prolex UK and in particular a purchaser of YOUR BBK your comments above make me feel that you simply have sold me a kit just to make a quick bob.

perhaps i should take my future business elsewhere...

Why do you want a BBK?  If it's because you do track days then fair enough.  But The Tezza/IS brakes are more than adequate for street use (they are used on the GS!).

sorry i cant hold my tongue any longer as your comments have been niggling me somewhat..

As a customer of Prolex UK and in particular a purchaser of YOUR BBK your comments above make me feel that you simply have sold me a kit just to make a quick bob.

perhaps i should take my future business elsewhere...

Paul,

I didn't mean it like that at all - I think you misinterpruted what I meant.

You have an IS300. Plus you had NOS. Plus you are looking at a S/C or Blower. And you were on our trackday - and could out brake a lot of us for longer in the day.

Different kettle of fish. For a standard IS200 or Altezza, in MY opinion, I wouldn't upgrade (or at least it wouldn't be at the top of my list).

I'm giving my view Paul - it wasn't about making "a quick buck". We sell items that make a difference to a car. I hope your brakes did. And if you're happy - I'm happy!

:)

• 4 weeks later...
to be honest i have my eyes on a VW phaeton.

Just wanna get some 20" rims on it like the ones you have and just roll it as standard, its got air suspension as standard that raises and lowers and about a million more things.

i love my passat more than the lexus, and the phaeton is 10x the car that the passat is

:D I am also looking at the phaeton, the V10 diesel, have you friven one?