Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

After months of being on the wait list I finally got behind the wheel of a RX400h this morning. Many thanks to Ian Reynolds and Simon Lane of Lexus Edinburgh for letting me have a go so quickly – they only got the car yesterday at 2pm!

Lexus Edinburgh – Excellence as always! :D

I drove the car for about one and a half hours and I thought I would give my appraisal of all the different features one by one. Hope this is of interest to all the people waiting on the list for the 15th of this month. Breaking down the experience is probably the best way so I will try to cover all the ‘different’ features. By way of background I currently have a 03 RX300 SE-L bought pretty much on day one of the Mk 2 release and prior to that I had a Mk 1.

Where to start but the start up – turn the key and nothing! Bizarre! Light on the dash says ‘ready’ and that is about all. Air Con starts to whirr but apart from that silence.

So off we go – pulled out and what hits you immediately is the silence and torque. Little or no effort and the speed limit is upon me. How did that happen?

First then the engine

… or rather the three of them. As advertised it always starts with the electric motors and then the petrol starts, I really did not detect the petrol starting up at all, completely seamless, very clever. The torque over my current car is the biggest difference. The power is immediate, down to the electric motors I guess but when you stamp the loud pedal the car picks up straight away, the petrol then sounds like it reaches a predefined rev range and stays there. Indicative, I guess, of a CVT transmission, the most efficient revs at all times. The acceleration is very smooth and 70mph comes far too soon, so, obviously, I eased off! :winky: Nothing much more to say, the switching of engines and power is very clever under the bonnet but driving you very quickly just get used to it taking care of itself. In terms of engine note is sounds a bit like a big American V8 – no burble but just a constant whoosh rather than climbing and falling revs. The note is really only there, however, then you are accelerating hard, most of the time it is just simply either very quite or not there at all!

And onto the handling

I know a lot has been said about the Air Suspension of the SE-L not actually being as good as the sprung version but to be honest I have had no complaints apart from a faulty sensor replaced a few months ago. The 400h however did, IMHO, have better suspension. It has, apparently, been beefed up to compensate for the slightly heavier car. The car appears a bit taller and the gap between the tires and the body is larger but does not look silly, just a bit more ‘pumped up’. On the road how did this feel? Well I felt it turned in quicker, more direct, just better. It felt that if pushed it would tend to understeer, but on the whole felt more sure footed than my current SE-L. This was most noticeable it you ‘weaved’ the car to and fro on a straight. It followed the line you pointed it in better then the SE-L and did to start to ‘pendulum’ if that makes sense - if it doesn’t sorry – you’ll have to try it yourself!

Steering feel

Strange one this – the best way I can describe the steering is like driving a car arcade game. A very ‘electronic’ feel to it. It took a few minutes to get used to it but I liked it. Is probably added to the overall feel on the handling. I think the perception of precision it gave me helped the car feel better, again I am sure if I was a motoring journalist I could thing up a better metaphor but I can’t so if you know what I mean, great, if you don’t again book yourself a test drive!

Brakes

I am glad to say these are as good if not better than current SE-L. The very slightest touch brings them on and you can stand the thing on it’s nose if you want to. The regenerative breaking does have a strange feel. Like you are towing, feels like something is pushing the car back, the dash does however tell you how many ‘units’ you have accrued by the process.

Another brakes related observation is when the car comes to a complete stop, the noise it makes is very similar to our other car an Audi TT (actually my car – the RX is my wife’s officially!). I fitted brembo GT cross drilled disks to my car and they make a sort of whine when breaking which starts at a high tone decreasing when you slow down. The 400h makes the same noise – relevance, none – interest, perhaps not much but anyhoo!

Next the Tech stuff

My SE-L, being an early one, does not have the latest voice control and Bluetooth which I found very snazzy. The voice control was a hoot and even understood my Scottish accent! I wont go on about this though as it is not really new to the current RX range.

The power screens however are below.

Not a lot to add to the pictures. The consumption screen tells you average mpg since reset and the bars you see are average consumption over the last half hour in 5 minute increments. As you will see from the (slightly fuzzy, sorry) picture I was getting about 20-25 mpg on the open road which climbed to mid 40s when in town. I am not going to get into the huge MPG debate. Over my 30ish miles I got 32mph which compared to my SE-L is about a 50% improvement. That said, putting the environmental advantage aside, I really did not buy this car to save petrol, I bought it for the extra power and because, let’s be honest, I fancied the latest and greatest. Early adopter I think I am called by marketers! I really don’t think there are many people who spend £40k+ on a car and moan seriously about mpg – but perhaps I am wrong and in the minority – mpg does not float my boat – I am a petrol head – nuff said!

ICE – did not get to try the DVD system in the back but photo attached. The kids will love it and now I need to make some back up copies of some DVDs for the car. The headrest screens did look nice and with one of my other hobbies being home cinema I was pleased to see they are in 16:9 format or widescreen as it is known. I know is is a lot extra to pay for a DVD system but with such a good fitting job and the screens and headphones all being Lexus branded it is definite ‘nice to have’.

And finally overall impression

Roll on the 15th! I am really looking forward to getting the car now. No post purchase dissidence as they say.

I see this as a step change from the RX300 IMO. All the good bits of the car I currently enjoy with just enough extra bells and whistles to make it more fun. In terms on any bad points I really can’t think of any! I know I should try to give a more balanced view but I could not fault it! Perhaps after a few thousand miles there will be some niggles and on reading the US forum some have found (in rather a pedantic way I may say) some but so far so good.

Many thanks to Ian and Simon for letting me have the opportunity to test one so quickly – thanks chaps and I am sure you are looking forward to taking my hard earned cash in exchange for my RX400h in a few days from now.

Is it the 15th yet?

Pictures.......

yc433n.jpg

yc433r.jpg

yc433t.jpg

yc4330.jpg

yc433v.jpg

yc433p.jpg

yc433o.jpg

yc43fy.jpg

yc435w.jpg

yc433m.jpg

yc4336.jpg

yc433q.jpg

Yes but did you actually like it?? :winky:

Great review John, and even though I've an IS220 on order I'm now tempted by both the new GS and RX400. Lexus what are you doing to me?!!

nice write up John - glad you like the car.

how did you find the quality of the interior materials? I know one US owner who declined his car because of the standard of the interior - he felt it was sub par.

Lexus! Please note how much better your cars look in dark colours!

Show us pics of your new cars in silver if you like - but throw some dark ones in too.

The new IS, GS and new RX.

All looked a bit "bleh" in the publicity shots.

Later shots - in different (and darker) colours - look a LOT better.

What an write up. You only had the car a few hours and took the time to let us know all about it.

The pictures are excellent also.

Thanks for sharing your views with us.

I will be going to Lexus Edinburgh soon to get my IS 200 serviced as i live in Glenrothes.

Matt, have to agree with you, the recent new additions to the Lexus range do look great in darker colours. I was blown away when I saw the GS in Athabasca (?) Shale. I've found that most car manufacturers these days are using silver cars in their promotional material. Something to do with it being the best colour to show the car off in.

:offtopic: John, what camera did you use to take the pictures, they are of a very good quality.

@ Matt - Matt good point - I did not pay too much attention to them but having said that if they were very poor I guess I would have noticed! That said after looking at my photos more closely I did notice that the door arm rests and the leather above is not stitched like my current SE-L. Perhaps we have found the chink in the armour?

My wife is going to have a shot on Wednesday so I'll ask her to report. Apart from that the interior seemed fine to me.

@ Saracen - I was only using my wee snapper camera. A Sony DSC-T3 - Fab little thing see here http://www.dcviews.com/_Sony/t3v.htm

@ all - thanks for the comments folks - glad you liked my efforts!

John

PS Mods - Can I change my name from JohnRX300 to JohnRX400h?

@ Matt - Matt good point  - I did not pay too much attention to them but having said that if they were very poor I guess I would have noticed!  That said after looking at my photos more closely I did notice that the door arm rests and the leather above is not stitched like my current SE-L.  Perhaps we have found the chink in the armour?

thats what they guy did not like :blush:

I would have a look through the US forums - there are some people unhappy with the 400h (and many who are very happy) - you may find their experiences useful?

The biggest complaint seems to be the mileage - they are not getting the sort of figures they expected (26 - 28mpg type numbers).

but - if you are getting the car for the performance figures, and because you are an early adapter - then mpg is not too high on the list is it? :D

Matt - that's why I mentioned the door trim - I had read the US forum and saw this one mentioned. My wife will report on the interior tomorrow. Never fear this will be pleasantly fastidious. This is the woman who gave the RX product manager a hard time at the Birmingham motor show last year about the lack of a wood steering wheel so I am sure she will take her 'fine tooth comb' with her.

However - new news....

Today we received a brochure 'par excellance' from Lexus. A large hard back RX400h 'book'. Open the inside cover and a hand written note form Lexus Director. None of your handwriting font rubbish, the real deal, hand written!

"Thank you for placing your order for our new RX400h, Kind regards"

Another Lexus Customer Care 'wow'

Anyway to my point..... There are loads of really nice glossy pics on the book and some of the inside in there too. The photos of black interior don't show any stitching in the side panels or arm rests however the pics with the Oakham interior do. Hrmmmm wonder what the deal is here? The Oakham pics are definitely an RX400h as the doors have the Aluminium inlay and the correct gear stick. Guess we will just have to wait until I get more info.

Oh and another thing Matt - I do now have a RX400h - Simon Lane at the dealership advised us that it arrived yesterday, just a bit of PDI ing to do and the 15th can't come quick enough. - So go on change my user name.... please!

John

Oh and another thing Matt - I do now have a RX400h - Simon Lane at the dealership advised us that it arrived yesterday, just a bit of PDI ing to do and the 15th can't come quick enough. - So go on change my user name.... please!

hmmmm - not good enough.

I'm afraid you are going to have to scan your V5 and post it here!

:P

:lol::lol::lol:

Saw one of these in the car park at Lexus Woodford this morning, and purely on appearances, I think I prefer the RX300

I know its not a huge difference, but think that extra grille in the front bumper looks odd, and makes the normal grille look really high up, as though its got its nose up at the world :P

Other problem is the wheels, love the machined finish and the dark colour, but the car seems to be too high in the air (even for an off roader) and this makes the wheels look really small. Might be better if they were 19s or 20s :whistling:

Otherwise seems like a great machine, plus if you don't like it, you can prob sell it on at a huge premium! :D What is the waiting list now by the way? :shutit:

I know its not a huge difference, but think that extra grille in the front bumper looks odd, and makes the normal grille look really high up, as though its got its nose up at the world  :P

Other problem is the wheels, love the machined finish and the dark colour, but the car seems to be too high in the air (even for an off roader) and this makes the wheels look really small. Might be better if they were 19s or 20s  :whistling:

Completely agree.

br

D

Roll on the 15th! I am really looking forward to getting the car now. No post purchase dissidence as they say.

Great review John, but......"I am really looking forward...?!?" What about she who matters? What was Ruth's impression?

Glad to see you got the name changed too!

Angus

:D Had my test drive this morning, and man was I impressed.

This is an absolute stunning vehicle. So quiet and yet so powerful - it is truly amazing.

:D :D As luck will have it, I will pick-up my chosen car on Wednesday 15 June 2005 at 09:00 AM. No doubt the first day will be taken up reading the 600-page manual, but hopefully some driving as well.

Hope you all get yours on Wednesday as well.

Saw one of these in the car park at Lexus Woodford this morning, and purely on appearances, I think I prefer the RX300

I know its not a huge difference, but think that extra grille in the front bumper looks odd, and makes the normal grille look really high up, as though its got its nose up at the world  :P

Other problem is the wheels, love the machined finish and the dark colour, but the car seems to be too high in the air (even for an off roader) and this makes the wheels look really small. Might be better if they were 19s or 20s  :whistling:

Otherwise seems like a great machine, plus if you don't like it, you can prob sell it on at a huge premium!  :D  What is the waiting list now by the way?  :shutit:

:D London area no wait depending on colour required

Roll on the 15th!  I am really looking forward to getting the car now.  No post purchase dissidence as they say.

Great review John, but......"I am really looking forward...?!?" What about she who matters? What was Ruth's impression?

Glad to see you got the name changed too!

Angus

Hi Angus - hope you are well! Oh how right you are, she who matters!! Ruth really liked it. She agreed with me about the handling and the power - thought both were much better. She is still miffed about not having her wood steering wheel but is now resigned to the fact. 'It's not about looks it's about feel' she said. I presume she was talking about the wood in the car and not me!! :D :blush::hehe:

We too are getting ours on Wednesday at 9am. Guess however we won't have to do the Harrods sale thing and put our tent up outside for 3 days before. Lexus Edinburgh tell us we can just turn up at 9am and it will be ready and waiting.

This is better than Christmas!

I had no interest in Lexus until a couple of weeks ago. Tried out a GS430 at Lexus Glasgow.and thought it was ok. Tried a GS300 - thought it was nicer.

Then saw RX400h outside. Arranged to borrow it for a day. It blew my mind. (My last two cars were Porsche 996 and Audi RS6.)

So quiet, so solid, so well made, so clever, so cool. For once, a car, my wife and I agreed on. Decided there and then to buy one. We have ordered an SE with Sat Nav in double black. Unfortunately Aug/Sept being quoted for delivery.

Impressed by service thus far from Lexus Glasgow.

Spizz

For once, a car, my wife and I agreed on.

That's usually the hardest part ! lol !

Welcome to LOC, enjoy your stay, and your new lexus.

Be sure to show us all pics of your new car when it gets delivered :D