Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Why only 153hp?

OK, most people recognise that the IS200 looks better than it goes, and could do with another 25-30hp.

The question is, with a 2ltr straight 6, why did they only give it 153hp?

Off the top of my head, I can think of loads of 4 pots with more welly:

Clio Sport 172 - 2ltr 4 pot (180 hp next year)

Celica - Up to 189hp - 2ltr 4 pot

Focus ST170 - 2ltr 4 pot.

If Toyota can give a 1.8 4 cylinder 180hp (with better fuel consumption), why can't they at least equal it with .2ltrs and 2 extra cylinders to play with?

I would have thought the engine in the IS200 would be capable of at least 200hp. Other 6 cylinders manage it. The FSO has up to 200hp in the high compression version, and that's a six cylinder 24 valve.

When I see people forking out upto £80 per hp (!!) for superchargers etc., wouldn't it be much better for Lexus to give us the performance for free?

:flaming:

Rant over. Needed to get that one off my chest! And I haven't even got the car yet! :lol:

It won't spoil my enjoyment of the car, but it would have been so much sweeter if it could out-pull even a 1.8 Astra.

You have to compare like with like - the IS200 isn't pitched against the cars mentioned. Try looking at a 2 litre 3 Series, C Class or X-Type etc etc and you'll find bhp (and weight) are on a par

It's supposed to be an "executive" car, with smoothness and refinement being the key (hence it's a 6 not a 4).

Horses for courses.

Don't get me wrong though, it does need more grunt, but it's the low-end torque that's missing, not the headline bhp.

Originally posted by sado

I really i can't understend too why only 153hp :mad::mad:

I hate when i see in the streets cars like Saxo Vts and 106 rally to cost less than half price of a Lexus IS to be faster than a Lexus IS! :flaming:

The IS is not designed, built or marketed as a 'street racer'.

What were you're reasons for buying an IS?

Did you test drive one before you bought it?

Not having a go at you mate - just makes me think maybe you bought the wrong car if racing Saxo's on the street is what you want to do. (which I really don't agree with btw).

I agree Matthew! Although even before I took delivery of my IS, I had a gripe that a 12 year old 2.0 Prelude delivers more power from its engine than the IS200 - I certainly am not concerned that ickle hot hatches are quicker...... of course they are, but that is all they are - completely different market and priorities!

The IS200 is a very good car, and I like it a lot. Its failing are that it isn't powerful enough - just as it starts to get sweet, the rev limiter quicks in, and it is heavy on fuel. But it is a refined and good mile muncher, distinctive looking, nice fun handling, well balanced.... a good alrounder and classier alternative to the usual 'rep' choices of the 3-series and Passat.

Originally posted by UltraVioletit is heavy on fuel.

I am actually reasonably happy with the mileage for motorway use.

Currently doing over 70 miles a day(mon - fri), about 410 - 420 a week.

This works out to a full tank a week basically.

Say 65 litres of Optimax for over 400 miles?

Sure - you can get better, but I'm not crying too much about that at all.

Originally posted by Matthew_McNally
Originally posted by sado

I really i can't understend too why only 153hp :mad::mad:

I hate when i see in the streets cars like Saxo Vts and 106 rally to cost less than half price of a Lexus IS to be faster than a Lexus IS! :flaming:

The IS is not designed, built or marketed as a 'street racer'.

What were you're reasons for buying an IS?

Did you test drive one before you bought it?

Not having a go at you mate - just makes me think maybe you bought the wrong car if racing Saxo's on the street is what you want to do. (which I really don't agree with btw).

When I said about Saxo’s etc. I said it for example. I don’t understand the reason Lexus engine gives only 155hp in 2lt and other cars like Impreza WRX and Focus RS gives more than 220hp!

My requirements in my car are: back wheel drive, time-honored, trustworthily, good power in engine and to be comfortable in driver seat (I’m 6’8” height :) ).

So the only car that completes all my requirements is IS 200. :)

Usually I’m using my car for racing in racing-tracks, in the street I’m just driving fast ;)

When I went to see about IS 200, the car salesman told me this car is ideal for racing. I drove it before I buy it, but I drove it in the city and not at the racing-track.

But surely i don’t I regret buying IS 200. :) I ordered last week and I gonna have it in the end of this year.

Next year I’ll upgrade it installing the compressor. ;)

Don't forget that the Impreza and Focus RS both have turbos - of course they're going to be quicker, but you won't get all the little touches like automatic lights.

Also they do do a 2 litre with a more appropriate hp rating, they just chose not to sell it over here.... which I happen to think was a big mistake...

I always thought the true figure was closer to 155 bhp which is how I refer to it when talking to the 3 series brigade...hey wots 2bhp when u're talking about power?

Handling and grip from the 17 " wheels, character and whole package suits me. Try one for size and u'll be pleasantly surprised.

There has got to be more to a car than horsepower !

Otherwise we'd all be driving 1000 bhp methanol guzzling dragsters and have no quiality, no confort, no style, nothing.

Unfortunately it is easy to sell cars of lower quality by squeezing in a bigger engine.

Remeber:

The whole is only as good as the total of all it's attributes.

See, Lexus wins !

If your that worried about the lack of power, why not change your order for an IS300.

I have a mate with a 3.0L Z3, and it keeps up with him 0-60 and then the torque and gearbox takeover and I begin to pull away form him. Hit the bendy bits, and the superb suspension and chassis setup strip the Z3 (the Z3 get's really skitty, and can't handle undulation whilst changing direction).

One of my other mate's drives a Puma Racing, and although he can keep up with me around the bendy stuff, he again gets problems keeping up at speeds of over 90+.

At the end of the day the car was designed to compete in the exec market. It just so happens that it has a wicked chassis and suspension setup, and I imagine (as I'm yet to try it!) would make for a very exciting track day experience.

It also depends on the image you want to project as well.

Lexus :- Cool, understated, affluent man with a lady magnet.

or a "t**t in a cap", rev the nut's out of my little engine, max power sticker'd, small tin box driver.

Also you will find that the rozzer's tend to take more interest in these little tin racers than they do the Lexus, coz they are usually driven, at speed (in a straight line, form traffic light to traffic) by inexperiened drivers.

Enjoy the attention you get just cruising around you fav night spots in your Lexus. Then if you feel the need to race a tin pot get them on to a bendy road or on a motorway, then watch as you quickly wipe the smile off their faces with your superior car (even with only 153Bhp!!)

Have fun, enjoy your Lexus, and welcome to the club!!

Martin :cool:

Originally posted by Coxyboy1

If your that worried about the lack of power, why not change your order for an IS300.

Thank you welcoming me here.

(I found the club thanks to my girlfriend. :lol:

She is an English girl and she is living in London. :) )

The reason I didn’t order IS300 is because here in Greece my friend the taxes for cars with more than 2lt engines are extremely high! :( And up to 2lt the taxes are free ;)