Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello All,

I'm back!

You may recall that I posted some time ago about the lutrching problems on my wifes RX300 SE-L MY2004.

We eneded up having a loan car from Lexus GB for three weeks in which they told us the new 05MY ECU would solve the fault. It seemed ok so we paid another chunk of cash and changed the 04 car for a new 05 car. One month and 1600 miles in its happening all over again. We have now informed trading standards and have written to our dealer in Southampton rejecting the car and asking for our £39k back......they have replied telling us that its a known issue and one that we basically have to live with as the benefits of the intelligent gearbox far outweigh the problem!

I am told by the dealer manager that, in the States, Lexus have had to rewire the ECU/gearbox interface to wipe the memoruy when the car is turned off as they have had so many complaints from owners - the issue there is called 'Multiple Driver Syndrome'.

I wonder if there is anybody out there intersted in getting a group approach to Lexus GB to take their heads out of the sky(!) and talk to us unhappy users about a once and for all fix on what is otherwise a really good car?

Michael.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would love to - I'm totally fed up with coming out of a really tight corner or a rolling junction or entering a roundabout rolling and getting the dreaded lag, I fell my body moving forward as if to compensate. - I love the car but this is the only part which feels unsafe

Sorry to hear that you guys are still having problems. I completely agree with what you've said. I'm fed up to the back teeth with this. I travel quite a bit and quite often end up in BMW or Mercedes Taxis and I never feel any such lurching or discomfort. I personally do not understand why it does this. I think Lexus should at the very least offer some plausable explanation for this. To my mind I'd rather have a dumb but always smooth box than one that's too clever for it's own good right now and is so uncomfortable for the passengers that I have to apologise when it jerks as if I'm a learner who's just let the clutch out too quickly. I too have thought about rejecting the car but the b*****d who keyed the drivers side has put a stop to that for now.

Time to talk to lexus again I think.

br

D

I am told by the dealer manager that, in the States, Lexus have had to rewire the ECU/gearbox interface to wipe the memoruy when the car is turned off as they have had so many complaints from owners - the issue there is called 'Multiple Driver Syndrome'.

I am the only person who has ever driven ours other than a brief drive by my wife and the dealer.

I wonder if there is anybody out there intersted in getting a group approach to Lexus GB to take their heads out of the sky(!) and talk to us unhappy users about a once and for all fix on what is otherwise a really good car?

I'd be up for that.

Michael.

I had an IS300 with the same problem - it was just embarrasing having people in the car and having to explain the jerking.

I complained for around a year to my dealer and custome care - no luck! I then wrote to the head of lexus GB and within a few days they offered a complete refund if i bought a new car. Went for a RX300SEL and it has been fine (fingers crossed) - i get the odd ***** but can never decide if it is my fault or the car.

Hope you get sorted - i now have an issue with rust on the front of my car.

I don't think Lexus customer care is as good as it should be in cases.

Hello again all

I have suffered with this problem on my RX300 SEL from day one.

Noticed it after I had the car from new within about three weeks.

Have posted many threads on the subject in this forum as well as having the odd exchange of emails from other RX users with the same problem.

My car had its first service about two months ago, (9,000 miles) during which the dealer sorted some minor problems, rattles etc. I told him abouth this matter, having been in contact with them previously on this subject.

They disconnected the Battery in order to reset the intelligent gearbox, but having already tried this when the car was about six months old, THIS FIX DOES NOT WORK.

I must admit that I like the car alot, but i am sick and tired of Lexus GB not seeming to be concerned about this issue.

My dealer who I fell is very good, scanned the Lexus database on this issue and said that there was nothing to report even though they have had a few of their RX customers reporting the same problem.

I will happily approach Lexus GB on this matter as a group (strength in numbers) as there is most definately an issue with the gearbox selecting too low a gear when pulling away from slow speed which results in the snatch with which we are all too familiar.

Lexus would be wise to at least contact us on this matter and reassure us that they are at least looking at a fix to this problem. Turning a blind eye to this is not the answer from what is supposed to be a luxury motor manufacturer.

We are not happy.

Regards

RxMike

Hello all,

Thank you for your numerous contacts and support for this crazy situation....such a great car in all other respects.

Absolutely right that disconnecting the Battery is the common fix but to be honest that just makes you go away but it soon comes back, sometimes in a day or so and sometimes in about 2-3000 miles. Its not the answer, nor is the 05 ECU upgrade that they did to our last car. When the fault was still there, they thought it might be an 04 one fitted by mistake hence the loan of a car for three weeks. However, the 05 car is just the same!

I have again spoken to my dealer this afternoon and he tells me that they are now taking the situation more seriously and that I can expect some reaction early next week. About time too!

Trading Standards are taking the issue very seriously and we have a meeting with them also next week - this seems not to have had no effect on Lexus GB at all.

I will keep in touch and let you all know whats happening here and if we get anywhere with our approach to Top Gear about raising the issue with them.

My wife sent an email to them and we have a chum of our sons there who is a researcher for the program............perhaps if I offer to loan my DB7 to Clarkson for a day, so that he can fulfill his desire to go and see Kirsten Scott-Thomas in a DB7, he might sit up and listen more readily. I wonder what Lexus would think of that sort of coverage of a problem that does not exist?

Oh well, off for a scotch in the last of the sunshine and forget about work and cars.

Best regards.

Michael.

If a list exists then you can add my name to it as I have posted on this before and I must admit to selecting snow mode quite often to stop it going into first - or set off using virtually no throttle.

I have mentioned it to Lexus Sheffield but not as a complaint just while chatting during my annual service.

Only fault I can find with this great car.

BTW anyone else with a GS or something else in Lexus' range that suffers from this problem. You would have thought this would happen on all Lexus autos. Why only the RX?

br

D

:driving: Hi Guys, I have the new GS300SE, No such problems, however I did have this on my RX300SE2005 which I PXed for this car, I had this gear trouble and other isues with the RX and was disapointed with the ride in general. :angry:

Hello all you Rx300 owners with lurching gearboxes.

Had a frank discussion with my dealer principal today about our gearbox issues and am promised a conversation or a meeting with the head of Lexus GB soon. It seems that hey are still saying its a live with it situation but I will not give up easily as this is our third RX300 and the second with this problem.

If we need to get a group together to attack in force I will post a message to this effect and email all those of you hwo have shown interest so far.

I managed to drive the RX400 today - its quite brilliant if a little weird at first. There is no surge, no lurch just heaps of progressive power and whilst theres no engine note like my factorty prepared DB7, it does get a growl when pushed hard...I have to say I quite liked the car. The interior is a bit bland compared to the SEL RX300. No wood, just brushed aluminium on this car. No air suspension due to the electric motors apparently but on the SEL you get a mark levinson sound system as on the 300 models and 2xdvd players for the rear passengers.............just the thing to trap my customers in the back seats and show them corporate DVD's!

I'll post again and let you all know what happens if and when I have my meeting with the big man and trading standards.

Michael.

Hi all,

had a call last night from Steve Settle who is the head of Lexus GB about our lurching RX300. He has promised to talk to Japan and come back to me early next week.

I'm not holding my breath for any positive outcome from this as Japan say it is not a safety issue!

Seems to me that when a premium brand, high value car, has a gearbox issue and a reluctance to respond to input from the throttle this is a safety issue waiting to become an accident.

We are continuimg on the trading standarads road and will get rid of the car (reluctantly) or change it for a hybrid if we can hack out the right deal with Lexus.

I did tell Steve Settle that there were over 300 viewings on this site of the issue and that 12 other owners were also having the same problems. He didnt seem too bothered by these numbers until I suggested that perhaps this is the tip of the iceberg as a lot of owners may not have looked at the forum yet.

Will let you all know what happens next.

Regards to all.

Michael.

Michael,

First of all, thak you for taking the bull by the horns and doing something to address this issue.

i have bought an RX300 SE in march 05, and I have the same problem. As LexusJohn pointed out, i gently press the accelerator to avoid the jump, but sometimes, it happens regardless.

I also had a GS (Aristo) and did not experience this, and have an SC430 and don't experience the problem either.

I believe it is something specific to the RX.

Count me in as well.

Michael,

First of all, thak you for taking the bull by the horns and doing something to address this issue.

i have bought an RX300 SE in march 05, and I have the same problem. As LexusJohn pointed out, i gently press the accelerator to avoid the jump, but sometimes, it happens regardless.

I also had a GS (Aristo) and did not experience this, and have an SC430 and don't experience the problem either.

Count me in as well.

Michael,

Count me in as well.

Hi Vertex,

Thanks for the offer of support.

I must let the big man from Lexus do his stuff but if nothing gets soreted then I'll start an action group and approach en masse as it were.

I see you are in Hants.

Where abouts and did you get your car from Soton Lexus like us? If so get on to Bill at the dealership and tell him you have the same problem.

Michael.

Hi group, I have been lurking a while but this issue has made me register!

I traded my IS300 for a 2004 RX300Se, and have noted the same problem from day 1. In fact I noticed it in the demonstrator that I borrowed for a day, before purchasing. When I mentioned it to the salesman, he just said he d never noticed such an effect.

I find it happens mainly when I slow down to a crawl (may 3or 4 mph) then the lightest touch on the throttle causes the surge forward. It as if the engine changes down into 1st gear a bit too early.

Anyway, it spoils an otherwise great car, so add me to the list please!

I find it happens mainly when I slow down to a crawl (may 3or 4 mph) then the lightest touch on the throttle causes the surge forward. It as if the engine changes down into 1st gear a bit too early.

Anyway, it spoils an otherwise great car, so add me to the list please!

I was so p***ed off with this and my dealer was asking for a detailed description that I spent quite some time trying to find a pattern relating to this. My journey to and from work involves a number of speed humps which really provoke this problem. What I found is that when you slow to around 8-9 mph coming up to the speed hump then accelerate after going over the hump the car changes down to first. It is this that causes the lurch as the car has selected too low a gear so you get enghine breaking or a jump forward before it realises its mistake at which point it changes up to 2nd and everything become smooth again. So if they just changed the change points mapped in the ECU then this wouldn't happen. I don't understand the reluctance here as clearly Lexus are able to make other cars with auto boxes that don't do this.

What I have learnt now is that when going over speed humps it's best to change to 2nd manually as you approach the hump. For some bizarre reason this I have found stops it shifting down to 1st so there is no lurch forward. It also has the added benefit of the car pulling away far more responsively away from the hump as you don't need to wait for it to select a gear again.

Edit. Above comment not entirely true. I realised later that the reason for reducing the lurch was purely down to being a little more aggressive with the speed bumps than I had done before. When the speed is no less than 10 mph it doesn't change down to first which seems to be the cause of the lurch.

End of edit

Far from ideal of course because this is meant to be an auto box but does at least reduce the number of occasions that my passengers and I have to experience the discomfort of poor implementation.

br

D

So if they just changed the change points mapped in the ECU then this wouldn't happen. I don't understand the reluctance here as clearly Lexus are able to make other cars with auto boxes that don't do this.

Far from ideal of course because this is meant to be an auto box but does at least reduce the number of occasions that my passengers and I have to experience the discomfort of poor implementation.

Amen to that one Damian!

I await the response from Lexus GB to tell me what they intend to do next and then we'll go from there.

I am still highly suspicious that hey are too bothered about the issue ansd as a result do anticipate it being necessay to have an action group before we can finally get them to admit to the problem.

They have done something about it for the USA so why not for the UK and European markets.

Anyone out there from Lexus care to comment?

Away for a week due to a surprise birthday holiday from my wife so will look at Forum next weekend and update with any info from my end then.

Michael.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Back from a weeks holiday in the sun and I am pleased to confirm that Mr Steve Settle from Lexus GB is on the case for us.

I have just come off the phone with him and have been promised that an engineer from Lexus GB, another from Lexus Belgium and possibly one from Japan will call me to arrange a test drive in my wife's car to actually experience the problem for themselves.

Steve tells me that he has checked with the USA and they tell him that they have not done a mod over there.....but my delaer tells me they have, so still not sure about this one.

Perhaps a posting to the American website to ask the users there if they have had similar issues would be a good move.

Has anyone any knowledge of USA owners complaining of the fault?

I am expecting a call to arrange a date probably in 2-3 weks from now for the test drive.

If there is another owenr of an RX300 with this a problem near Hants/Dorset borders maybe we could show them two or more cars.

Any takers?

Best regards to all.

Michael.

If there is another owenr of an RX300 with this a problem near Hants/Dorset borders maybe we could show them two or more cars.

Any takers?

Best regards to all.

Michael.

Positive news.

If I'm available I would be happy to make the journey as I think it's worth it to get it fixed. They'll never be a better opportunity. It would make the car almost perfect for me then, other than the rattle from the sunroof and the occassional rattle from the exhaust, but I'm hoping both of these will be fixed at the next surface.

Let me know when it is.

br

D

Have just filled in a Lexus customer satisfaction survey that I recently recieved.

Have in no uncertain terms explained the problem and that many users of the car are experiencing it.

Have asked that a representative of Lexus GB contact me directly as my dealer is unable to help me further with this problem and that a gearbox reset does not fix it.

Have also asked that they look at this web site in order to read all the threads that we have collectively posted on this subject.

I live in Crawley but would be happy to let them drive my RX also if they wish. Just don't know if I can get to you on the day as I work a varied shift pattern.

Will let you know if I hear anything from Lexus GB.

Regrads all

Mike

Hello all. Count me in on this problem too - roundabouts and speed bumps cause an annoying lurch in acceleration afterwards. Drives me crazy.

Perhaps this is not getting the attention it deserves because the americans may not have the problem. They have a different engine so the gear change program will be a bit different. Just a thought.

Count me in to anything you guys wish to arrange, I am almost certain that the gearbox problems faced in the US are different to ours (20-30mph) and we should not combine the two as this could dilute our case.

Regards

Roger