Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

:excl:

Hi All,

Some news hot off the press as they say.

My wifes car is being borrowed by LGB for a day or two next week when they want to try out a new version of the ECU in it.

Apparently, we will not be left with the new ECU, they want to test it in a car thats known to have the problem and then go away again and make a proper version before they issue a beta test version in due course.

:D The good news for us all is that it seems the issue is ongoing and that things are happening pretty much on schedule. :D

I will post again as and when I have any feedback on these initial tests.

Meanwhile, dont forget to let me have your contact details if you have not already done so - its the only way that you can be added to the database I am collating for LGB.

My address is

michael@imperial-motoryachts.com

Best regards.

Michael.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone with the Lurch!

LGB had my wifes car for two days last week and say that they were successful in programming a new ECU which quote "I can confirm that having tested the effectiveness of the proposed counter measure “ecu” the survey team concluded that it successfully reduced the level of the symptoms to an acceptable level."

So the good news is that they are on track with the fix to this irritating issue.

I have now sent the list of all those who agreed to be added to it for LGB to contact us direct in the hope that we may be BETA testing the new ECU before it goes live in Mach/April next year.

I have asked for a meeting with the head of Customer Relations or with the MD Steve Settle, to talk about where we go from here and how we can all help in testing the ECU for real in everyday usage.

I'll let you all know what happens from here on in.

Kindest regards to everyone and thanks again or all the support.

Michael.

PS. While my wife's car was being tested, we were lent an RX400h and have to say it is rather fun when you get to use it properly for a couple of days. It feels a bit heavy on the steering and the roadholding is a little vague compared with the SEL air suspension but overall its a car that I really liked. The top end torque is first class and it really does pull very well from 68-??? mph.

:question: My eldest son saw it and promptly borrowed it from Lexus Southampton for two days and is now thinking hard of ordering one......should I be on commission?

Hello everyone with the Lurch!

LGB had my wifes car for two days last week and say that they were successful in programming a new ECU which quote "I can confirm that having tested the effectiveness of the proposed counter measure “ecu” the survey team concluded that it successfully reduced the level of the symptoms to an acceptable level."

So the good news is that they are on track with the fix to this irritating issue.

I have now sent the list of all those who agreed to be added to it for LGB to contact us direct in the hope that we may be BETA testing the new ECU before it goes live in Mach/April next year.

I have asked for a meeting with the head of Customer Relations or with the MD Steve Settle, to talk about where we go from here and how we can all help in testing the ECU for real in everyday usage.

I'll let you all know what happens from here on in.

Kindest regards to everyone and thanks again or all the support.

Michael.

PS. While my wife's car was being tested, we were lent an RX400h and have to say it is rather fun when you get to use it properly for a couple of days. It feels a bit heavy on the steering and the roadholding is a little vague compared with the SEL air suspension but overall its a car that I really liked. The top end torque is first class and it really does pull very well from 68-??? mph.

:question: My eldest son saw it and promptly borrowed it from Lexus Southampton for two days and is now thinking hard of ordering one......should I be on commission?

:lol: You certaintly should Michael.

Baz

• 1 month later...

:D

Hi everyone,

Just to say that all is ongoing with the lurch scenario. I have been contacted again by LGB and assured that they are on track with a fix.............Horrah!

BUT, really logged on to wish you all a very Merry Chrsitmas and Happy New Year.

Thanks again for all the support in 2005.

Michael.

PS. the thread on the new 350 looks interesting - lets hope its got a CVT box!

:D

Hi everyone,

Just to say that all is ongoing with the lurch scenario. I have been contacted again by LGB and assured that they are on track with a fix.............Horrah!

BUT, really logged on to wish you all a very Merry Chrsitmas and Happy New Year.

Thanks again for all the support in 2005.

Michael.

PS. the thread on the new 350 looks interesting - lets hope its got a CVT box!

Hi Michael,

I have sent you an email privately. My log on name is Gapman, but you have an email from someone in Lincolnshire from this evening - that's ME!!!

Repeated congrats on your crusading work, I think you should get an award.

Gapman.

I have mentioned to Lexus Sheffield that I am getting transmission clunks now and that I believe that this is wear in the transmission caused by the harsh gearchange caused by this gearbox programming. Unfortunately due to staff holidays they can't look at the car next week so I will have to try and get the car booked in after the New Year. Not good after only 15,000 miles.

I have mentioned to Lexus Sheffield that I am getting transmission clunks now and that I believe that this is wear in the transmission caused by the harsh gearchange caused by this gearbox programming. Unfortunately due to staff holidays they can't look at the car next week so I will have to try and get the car booked in after the New Year. Not good after only 15,000 miles.

Glynn

My Rx is now suffering with the same type clunks. It sounds like the drive shaft under the car, but I believe this is too caused by the 'kick-down' effect from the afformentioned problems. My car has only just covered 14,000 miles, and as far as I'm concerned, any type of clunking noise after such low mileage in unacceptable. Mine is going to be booked in at the dealers early Jan 'cos I want the problem sorted. Am not prepared to listen to any type of clunking from such a new vehicle. I had an Audi 20v Quattro which was 5 years old when I bought it. I kept it for a further 5 years and put 125,000 miles on it and NEVER had any transmission or drive shaft clunks ever!

Happy New Year All

Regards

RxMike

Glynn

My Rx is now suffering with the same type clunks. It sounds like the drive shaft under the car, but I believe this is too caused by the 'kick-down' effect from the afformentioned problems. My car has only just covered 14,000 miles, and as far as I'm concerned, any type of clunking noise after such low mileage in unacceptable. Mine is going to be booked in at the dealers early Jan 'cos I want the problem sorted. Am not prepared to listen to any type of clunking from such a new vehicle. I had an Audi 20v Quattro which was 5 years old when I bought it. I kept it for a further 5 years and put 125,000 miles on it and NEVER had any transmission or drive shaft clunks ever!

Happy New Year All

Regards

RxMike

:driving: Good cars AUDIs :winky:

• 5 weeks later...

Problems have most cetainly not dried up on may 03 Mk2 they are getting worse by the week.

Mileage just over 18000

Love the car but it seems to be one minor fault after another.

Aggressive gear change lurching very apparent my dealer have apparently sent a report to Lexus

Clunking from the transmission (dealer got go ahead to do repairs to bushings and rear diff)

Wheel wobble new wheels fitted (due to corrosion) now got wheel balance issue at above 75mph I know its not UK legal but you have to keep with the flow on motorways

Poor brakes 1st thing in a morning dealer eventually replaced servo and master cylinder (4 visits to cure problem)

This is the poorest quality of car I have owned, over the years I have had cars that just ran between services without problem or niggles that every time I get into the car I wonder what is going to appear today, this is not the way a car of this supposed quality should be.

We also have a 53 plate IS200

Mileage 9500

To date wheels replaced due to corrosion

N/S headlight washer unit replaced (kept sticking in up position)

Rear shocker replaced

Looking at this it's also pretty poor for a two year old motor with very low mileage.

Problems have most cetainly not dried up on may 03 Mk2 they are getting worse by the week.

Mileage just over 18000

Aggressive gear change lurching very apparent my dealer have apparently sent a report to Lexus

Clunking from the transmission (dealer got go ahead to do repairs to bushings and rear diff)

Wheel wobble new wheels fitted (due to corrosion) now got wheel balance issue at above 75mph I know its not UK legal but you have to keep with the flow on motorways

Poor brakes 1st thing in a morning dealer eventually replaced servo and master cylinder (4 visits to cure problem)

This is the poorest quality of car I have owned, over the years I have had cars that just ran between services without problem or niggles that every time I get into the car I wonder what is going to appear today, this is not the way a car of this supposed quality should be.

Mileage 9500

Rear shocker replaced

Looking at this it's also pretty poor for a two year old motor with very low mileage.

TonyUK, I took my GS300SE 2005 (new shape) with corrosion on the wheels, back to the stealers at 3.5K, they said it was stone chipped and were NOT prepaired to replace them, this along with other niggles ( poor fuel economy) pushed me to out the car, luckily did not loose as much as I would have buying another lexus.

I have not seen "stone chipped wheels" without stone chips on the front of the car.!!

These cars seem to "stone chip" quicker than any new car I have ever owned. Paint quality is an issue with these cars, along with poor wheel finish quality, I went into the dealership complaining about the wheels only to find engineers from the main company in japan over inspecting the alloy wheeels on the cars in the showroom, they mensioned to me what I thought could be contributing to the loss of finish. I said, poor paint quality and lack of laquering on the inside of the wheels was not helping and of course the salt administered to the british roads will find the lack of laquer on the inside of the wheel.

I wonder if the quality control will be tightened up on the wheels now. :winky:

Well rant over :shutit:

Hi Tony,

the clunking you experienced, was this at very low speed after you'd taken your foot off the accelerator? I've experienced the same but was told by a friend that this is the torque convertor disengaging but it's quite a clunk and therefore surprised it's meant to be normal?

br

Damian

Mileage just over 18000

Mileage 9500

Rear shocker replaced

TonyUK, I took my GS300SE 2005 (new shape) with corrosion on the wheels, back to the stealers at 3.5K, they said it was stone chipped and were NOT prepaired to replace them, this along with other niggles ( poor fuel economy) pushed me to out the car, luckily did not loose as much as I would have buying another lexus.

I have not seen "stone chipped wheels" without stone chips on the front of the car.!!

These cars seem to "stone chip" quicker than any new car I have ever owned. Paint quality is an issue with these cars, along with poor wheel finish quality, I went into the dealership complaining about the wheels only to find engineers from the main company in japan over inspecting the alloy wheeels on the cars in the showroom, they mensioned to me what I thought could be contributing to the loss of finish. I said, poor paint quality and lack of laquering on the inside of the wheels was not helping and of course the salt administered to the british roads will find the lack of laquer on the inside of the wheel.

I wonder if the quality control will be tightened up on the wheels now. :winky:

Well rant over :shutit:

Had the same problem with the wheels on the RX300 but these were replaced on warranty without hesitation. So far no issues on the 400h. I resorted to using PaintShield film on my current car to protect the front and the back of the wing mirror housing from stone chips - excellent product. I remember reading something about new regulations on Car paints making it difficult to have paint that would be as durable as before in terms of resistance to stone chips - any one know if this is the case, or is Lexus behind on paint quality?

Hi Tony,

the clunking you experienced, was this at very low speed after you'd taken your foot off the accelerator? I've experienced the same but was told by a friend that this is the torque convertor disengaging but it's quite a clunk and therefore surprised it's meant to be normal?

br

Damian

Hi Damian

the clunk I get happens about 30mph ish upto 40 ish

when in traffic and feathering the accelerator on and off to keep the speed the clunk appears as though the car is taking up slack in the drive train. If you put the car into any gear other than 4th or 5th the problem is not apparent, well its not on my car. The dealer has a bulletin from Lexus describing this problem to perfection. They say it may be caused by bushings on the rear drive prop shaft or the diff itself.

Dealer has the go ahead to do the fix but has not got the parts in to stock as yet.

By the way the 18000 miles on the car are 6000 in the first two years and another 12000 since I purchased in July 2005.

Tony

Hi Damian

the clunk I get happens about 30mph ish upto 40 ish

when in traffic and feathering the accelerator on and off to keep the speed the clunk appears as though the car is taking up slack in the drive train. If you put the car into any gear other than 4th or 5th the problem is not apparent, well its not on my car. The dealer has a bulletin from Lexus describing this problem to perfection. They say it may be caused by bushings on the rear drive prop shaft or the diff itself.

Dealer has the go ahead to do the fix but has not got the parts in to stock as yet.

By the way the 18000 miles on the car are 6000 in the first two years and another 12000 since I purchased in July 2005.

Tony

Thanks, sounds like my problem may be normal after all as I was previously informed. Your explanation sounds clear to me, used to have a car many years ago which did what you're describing and it was a similar problem.

br

D

Good day all,

I have been rather remiss in not posting but have been away a lot on business and to be honest have nothing to report as yet.

The lurching wth the car continues to be a pain in the rear and as I see, many of you are also reaching breaking point.

Very interesting to hear of clunks now as well - it is probably wear from the way the box shifts gear. Ours is becoming progressivly slow to respond to throttle input. It often changes down one gear and then thinks it had better do a second. Really rather dangerous.

LGB have all the names and contact details of everyone who has mailed me direct and have promised to be in touch asap with the new ECU to let a number of us test.

I have repeatedly tried to get a meetring at LGB HQ but they just ignore my requests!

Some nice little chap in Customer relations just writes and says thanks for contacting us we will be in touch.

I was assured that the fix should be available in March or early April.

I am intrigued to see that in the states they have an upgrade - maybe they shout louder than us Brits do?

I did get an email from one American chap who was interested to see that the problem was on the 3.0 litre engine as well as the larger engined US cars.

Re the paint - I agree about the stone chips.

Every time the car is used it gets another one.

We have used Auto Glym Supreme polish (very expensive) but it does seem to be better at resiisting the damage thean the standard products.

So far no corrossion visible on the wheels but they are getting harder to clean the brake dust off so maybe its started.

Also getting some uneven tyrewear on the front whelels which I am told is the way we drive the car..........it seems to me its their stock answer to everything first time you mention a problem.

My son who was a candidate for an RX 300 or 400 eventually bought a Porsche Cayenne and is very happy with it. He thought he had a bit of play in the front end and they just said, no problem we'll fit a new steering rack............must be a moral there somewhere.

Anyway, I will be in touch again as soon as I get anything from LGB.

LGB - If you are monitoring the site as you say you do why not stop behaving like an ostrich and let us all know what is happening?

Regards all.

Michael

I have noticed the lurching/hesitancy problem with my car, and brought it to the attention of my dealer when I took it in for it's first service. They said that the ECU fix was still ongoing and was expected to be available shorthy - March/April.

In the interim they "reset" the ECU in the car. Driving the car today was like when I first got it last April - no lurching and smooth and timely shifting through the gears. This may be a short term fix - but I will see how the car continues to respond over time.

On the wheels front - all four of my alloys show signs of the finish "bubbling" up - my dealer acknowledged that it is a known issue on the RX and they will replace all of them under warranty.

I have noticed the lurching/hesitancy problem with my car, and brought it to the attention of my dealer when I took it in for it's first service. They said that the ECU fix was still ongoing and was expected to be available shorthy - March/April.

In the interim they "reset" the ECU in the car. Driving the car today was like when I first got it last April - no lurching and smooth and timely shifting through the gears. This may be a short term fix - but I will see how the car continues to respond over time.

On the wheels front - all four of my alloys show signs of the finish "bubbling" up - my dealer acknowledged that it is a known issue on the RX and they will replace all of them under warranty.

Other owners have found this to be only a short term fix (maybe a few thousand miles)

br

D

Hi all,

First of all, thanks to all the people how is spending time and efforts trying to push Lexus into the way they should be from the first place.

It is a shame that a company that sells cars (and image) of luxury cannot be at they´re costumers level of demand.

I´ve posted and topic with my episode, and my technical problems are very similar to yours but my story ended bad.

As you can read in my topic I had a very dramatical accident that drove my RX300 almost to garbage (just not there due to pericial works).

You can count me in to all the efforts that you want to make, and please support me, because I´m not here just for a fix, I´m willing to take Lexus to court and demand a full recall of this model as I dont want to drivers get hurt. It couldn´t be a matter of luck not to get hurt like I did.

Please continue your efforts as I will keep everyone posted of my followings.

My Post

Hi NFernandes,

Sorry to hear of your accident - this is just what we have all been dreading happening to us.

I hope you and your family are not too badly hurt.

The car has a real issue with the gearbox being slow to make its mind up when changing down and if not slow it just thumps into gear and takes off at speed.......it is downright dangerous.

We told Lexus this would happen sooner or later and we are sorry to hear of your accident.

Do let us know if you go to court, I am sure there are many of us who would confirm the gearbox issues to help you fight the case.

Michael.

(M Ladys husband)

Hi Onzo,

It is a simple short term fix for Lexus - but it will be back.

Maybe in a few hundred miles and certainly in a thousand.

When we first complained oif the problem two years ago, they told me the only way to fix the issue was to disconnect the Battery for twenty minutes as this resets the ECU and gearbox 'memory'.

That was on the first RX300 mk 11. The second one still does it and hence my ongoing total dissatisfaction with what should otherwise be a brilliant car.

Takele no nonsense from your dealer and tell him to add you to the list for a new ECU.............lets hope this does actually fix the issue once and for all.

Me, i'm still a sceptic at heart!!!

Michael.

Hi NFernandes,

Sorry to hear of your accident - this is just what we have all been dreading happening to us.

I hope you and your family are not too badly hurt.

The car has a real issue with the gearbox being slow to make its mind up when changing down and if not slow it just thumps into gear and takes off at speed.......it is downright dangerous.

We told Lexus this would happen sooner or later and we are sorry to hear of your accident.

Do let us know if you go to court, I am sure there are many of us who would confirm the gearbox issues to help you fight the case.

Michael.

(M Ladys husband)

Thanks Michael.

I has alone fortunatly. As I read this post my hope of winning this case grew, and I hope that this sentence would prove usefull to all.

We, in Portugal, say that sometimes there is bad things that come for good, and this accident seems to be one of that, it can prove that this car when faulty like this can be a really deathly dangerous machine.

As everyone in this post, I loved the car, and the first thing I told lexus is to give me a 400h and all the story will be forgotten. But that was before I read this post and see that this is a serious and not only in my car problem.

I will ask you please to send me all the documents you have proving that Lexus as acknowledge the problem, as the portuguese importer seems that this problem is new to them.

My mail is nf@scp.pt

I will keep a tight monitor on this post for it can be my best help to win this case and make a mark for us all!

Thanks!

As everyone in this post, I loved the car, and the first thing I told lexus is to give me a 400h and all the story will be forgotten. But that was before I read this post and see that this is a serious and not only in my car problem.

Now there's an idea Michael, we've been tackling this in completely the wrong way, as the 400h has a completely different gearbox (CVT), we should all be asking for one of these rather than hope they actually fix it. :D

I am like you, somewhat a sceptic. I am not completely convinced yet that they are going to fix it. I have waited in good faith that they will, but if they don't I will be rejecting the car as I said I would before they agreed to fix it.

Interestingly enough my car went in for a service a few weeks ago. Not a great experience as they didn't bother to back-up all of my personal settings. Not exactly Lexus experience! Anyway they obviously had the Battery disconnected for some time so you would think the ECU would have been reset. However, with mine it still lurches and still hesitates as if it's having an afternoon nap between gear changes.

br

D