Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thanks RX Mike at least some positives!

I am due to test drive it on Saturday would be earlier but work and the world cup get in the way. I am not expecting a sports car want I want is something with a bit of "status" to carry me and my family around in comfort. I have looked at others Volvo X90 - practical but dull, X5 very dull interior, Range Rover just too big for what I really need (plus sister has new super charged V8).

I'll let you know how I get on.

looks like you have done your homework and came to the same conclusion as I did ,but 9 months on and many problems to long to list it in my view my RX was not a good buy .If you get it for the right price and bear in mind the new rx350 being introduced it has to be a great price you should buy it and enjoy it .Make sure you get all the problems with it sorted if you have any before your warrenty runs out .

cheers

swager

Try and get an extended warranty if it's close to expiry :winky: and a LONG test drive, best of luck

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All very sound advice - the car is a good one compared to the obvious competition but you MUST get the known problems sorted out!

Still not sure about the "fix"!

So far it does eem the down shifts are crisper but I still had a lurch on one occasion.

I guess that is better than all the time though!!!

Michael.

Well, I've finally given up.

I have traded in my RX for a Mondeo ST Tdci. I can hear you laughing now but I don't care. It drives like a dream, goes round corners without falling over and best of all I can change gear without slipping a disc!

I fill it up at the garage and it says 520 miles to empty, not 320! No more driving like a vicar in the hope of getting 28 mpg.

I cannot believe how fast the RX is depreciating, the last two months 'glass's guide' have seen it drop £600 each month!!

I know I'll probably lose more on the Mondeo but at least I'll enjoy driving again.

Would just like to say thanks to the two Mikes (RxMike and M'ladys husband) for all there efforts in trying to get a nice car to drive properly and I sincerly hope that the "fix" works for you.

I will still drop in and see how your getting on,

Thanks again and goodbye

Roger

Well, I've finally given up.

I have traded in my RX for a Mondeo ST Tdci. I can hear you laughing now but I don't care. It drives like a dream, goes round corners without falling over and best of all I can change gear without slipping a disc!

I fill it up at the garage and it says 520 miles to empty, not 320! No more driving like a vicar in the hope of getting 28 mpg.

I cannot believe how fast the RX is depreciating, the last two months 'glass's guide' have seen it drop £600 each month!!

I know I'll probably lose more on the Mondeo but at least I'll enjoy driving again.

Would just like to say thanks to the two Mikes (RxMike and M'ladys husband) for all there efforts in trying to get a nice car to drive properly and I sincerly hope that the "fix" works for you.

I will still drop in and see how your getting on,

Thanks again and goodbye

Roger

Roger if its any consolation mate, we who drive "executive/luxury cars" ALWAYS loose £500/600 a month its a fact and we have to live with the costs. You will not loose as much with the choise you have made, best of luck J :winky:

Roger,

Sorry to see you have given up but, not surprisingly, I do understand the reason why!

To be frank, if we could have got our very large investment back we would have been gone long ago as well.

I was lent a Mondeo TDci by Aston when they kept my car overnight at the factory a few weeks ago.

It is an amazing car and I never thought I would enjoy driving a diesel engine (other than one of our boats of course!) but I did.

It went very well and pulled like a train especially from 80 onwards.

A very impressive torque curve.

I was very impressed and I imagine that the ST is much better finished inside than the model I drove.

We have just been invited to a Lexus open drive day on Sunday.

It is just across the road from our house at Somerley park in Hampshire.

Will we be going, probably just to try the new engine and gearbox.

Should make an interesting comparison.

LGB did come up with a swap option for us but the depreciation on our car was so great that there was no way I was going into a 400h and give them over £13k as well..........I may look stupid but I am not quite as daft as they think.

Good luck with the Mondeo and thanks for your support so far.

Michael.

Hello All,

So far the 'fix' is seemingly quite good.

The car is certainly crisper.

On Monday, we are off on a four day trip to Holland loaded up with three people, luggage, brochures and a pair of boat propellors so this should be a good test for it.

I will report on how it runs in a proper long distance test on my return at the end of next week.

It will be interesting to see if the mpg figures are better or worse.

Have a good weekend and if any of you are at the Somerley drive in on Sunday, look out for the dark blue RX300 M1ADY and say hello to us.

Happy lurching!

Michael.

Hi Michael,

had mine done this week. So far so good. Does seem more responsive and so far no lurches despite my attempts. Will let the box do it's 'super intelligent learning thing ' first before being fulyl converted as a believer but ever hopeful.

Thank you very much for championing this. Made my car as smooth and as enjoyable as I had always expected it would be as a Lexus.

thanks and br

D

Hi Damian,

Good news about your car. Do let me know how you get on with it.

We have now done 20000 miles in ours.

The news is not good I am afraid.

We both find it initially more responsive but that then seems to become a bit wooly (like a flat spot) between 70/80 mph unless you kick down then its OK.

The overall fuel consumption seems about 3 mpg better as well which is good news.

SADLY THOUGH, the lurch is still there.

It is not as frequent as it used to be but on a 500 mile run yesterday when we did motorway and urban driving, the lurch was very definately with us. A passeneger in the car even commented on it so all is not as LGB had hoped.

Let me know what you think but for our part I am going to throw the car back at Lexus Southampton and insist on a refund or an exchange.

Enough is enough.

Has anyone had a new 3.5 model long enough to find out its problems????

Best regards.

Michael.

Hi Damian,

Good news about your car. Do let me know how you get on with it.

We have now done 20000 miles in ours.

The news is not good I am afraid.

We both find it initially more responsive but that then seems to become a bit wooly (like a flat spot) between 70/80 mph unless you kick down then its OK.

The overall fuel consumption seems about 3 mpg better as well which is good news.

SADLY THOUGH, the lurch is still there.

It is not as frequent as it used to be but on a 500 mile run yesterday when we did motorway and urban driving, the lurch was very definately with us. A passeneger in the car even commented on it so all is not as LGB had hoped.

Let me know what you think but for our part I am going to throw the car back at Lexus Southampton and insist on a refund or an exchange.

Enough is enough.

Has anyone had a new 3.5 model long enough to find out its problems????

Best regards.

Michael.

Interesting you should say that, Michael. I have mixed feelings about the situation too. However I am going to give it another week or two (as my representative miles are not as high as yours) before passing verdict.

Tony

In response to your e-mail Michael I have had no contact from Lexus GB and at my last service (I am now out of warranty) Lexus Sheffield denied any knowlege of the problem even though I mentioned it at last years service too. I must admit that I seldom feel it now as I set off from slow speeds by accelerating very lightly and with a tension in my stomach as I do so. It is like treading on egg shells and really spoils what in most other ways is a fine car. I also failed to demonstrate to them what I sense / hear of the torque converter lock up coming off after the overrun time. I would dearly love to have that feature disabled as most of the time I back off the revs I don't want engine braking I want to coast. Hope I get polled by JD Power!

Same as GlynnB no word or contact from Lexus at all getting totally fed up with the whole Lexus experience.

I thought they meant it would be good.

Tony,

I see that you are in Hampshire.

Are you by any chance also using Lexus Southampton?

If so maybe we should get together.

Michael.

Micheal

Sorry - I am towards the Eastern Hampshire border serviced by Guildford.

Tony

Tony,

I see that you are in Hampshire.

Are you by any chance also using Lexus Southampton?

If so maybe we should get together.

Michael.

Hi Michael, ive been reading all your comments about the lurching problem and am fed up with this fault on my RX.

I purchased mine from Southampton and am contemplating asking for a full refund due to faulty goods.Surely we have some rights here!!?

My wife is taking the car for a few says this week, so will be interesting if another driving style upsets the box.

So far so good, no low speed lurches and I've tried, but still early days though. Seems there's a definite change in the way it selects and changes the gears at low speed. It's as if it is slipping the couplings much more to create much greater smoothness rather than abrupt changes. Responsiveness is still not to my liking but I guess you can't have smoothness and responsiveness together in an auto box without a trade-off somewhere. Winding roads seem to require use of the manual selection, but then this is an SUV which is a bit of barge rather than a sports thorough bred so I guess I have to be realisitic.

br

D

My wife is taking the car for a few says this week, so will be interesting if another driving style upsets the box.

So far so good, no low speed lurches and I've tried, but still early days though. Seems there's a definite change in the way it selects and changes the gears at low speed. It's as if it is slipping the couplings much more to create much greater smoothness rather than abrupt changes. Responsiveness is still not to my liking but I guess you can't have smoothness and responsiveness together in an auto box without a trade-off somewhere. Winding roads seem to require use of the manual selection, but then this is an SUV which is a bit of barge rather than a sports thorough bred so I guess I have to be realisitic.

br

D

Hi Damian,

Our car is a nightmare!

We actually think the old ECU is better than the new one.

I agree that it seems to slip rather than change gear and the hesitation we are getting now is ridiculous.

I have an old Volvo 850 T5 which is an everyday car and that goes like hell and changes with no hassle at all - the best part is that when we bought it, part of the sales pitch was that we were told it had a Lexus gearbox!

So we knoew they can get it right just not on these RX300's.

I am asking for a face to face with Steve Settle and (if he can be bothered to attend) our dealer principal as well.

I'll let you know how it goes and I shall be interested to hear what happens after your wife drives the car for a few days.

Best regards.

Michael.

The Americans don't have many roundabouts or speed humps maybe thats why they don't experience the problems as much as you Mk2 owners are.

Yes, and they have a maximum sped limit of 55 american miles an hour so no rteal need to use any acceleration or to slow down much either!

No wonder they thought the ECU change was a good one (allegedly!)

Michael.

Hello all of you RX300 testers

I have been on Michael's list since November 05 and as yet have had no response from Lexus GB or my local main dealer. The lurching continues to be a pain and if I had more time I would have added more posts for the cause.

However when collecting my car from a regular service I had a casual conversation with a junior member of staff who seemed to suggest that a complete gearbox re-build was the answer. Has anybody heard any similar comments. Could it be that they are trying to fob us off with a relatively inexpensive software upgrade when the real problem is mechanical?

Well done Michael for your tenacity. Hang in there!

Best regards

Ken

I have been on Michael's list since November 05 and as yet have had no response from Lexus GB or my local main dealer. The lurching continues to be a pain and if I had more time I would have added more posts for the cause.

However when collecting my car from a regular service I had a casual conversation with a junior member of staff who seemed to suggest that a complete gearbox re-build was the answer. Has anybody heard any similar comments. Could it be that they are trying to fob us off with a relatively inexpensive software upgrade when the real problem is mechanical?

Best regards

Ken

Hi Ken,

Thats an interesting comment!

I have asked for a face to face with Steve Settle and will raise this question with him and see what they say.

Anyone else had any contact from LGB or have you all given up and changed your car for something more drivable as many of you that have emailed me seem to have done?

Michael.

Best regards

Ken

Hi Ken,

Thats an interesting comment!

I have asked for a face to face with Steve Settle and will raise this question with him and see what they say.

Anyone else had any contact from LGB or have you all given up and changed your car for something more drivable as many of you that have emailed me seem to have done?

Michael.

Hi Mike,

I have just been given an RX350 courtesy car as mine gone in for minor niggles, and i must admit there seems to be no lurching at all. I dont know if its just this particular car but whatever ECU they have used or changes they have made seems to have done the trick.

Hi Mike,

I have just been given an RX350 courtesy car as mine gone in for minor niggles, and i must admit there seems to be no lurching at all. I dont know if its just this particular car but whatever ECU they have used or changes they have made seems to have done the trick.

Hi Simon,

Very interesting.

I suspect that this is the car we should have had in the UK in the first place - or it has not had time to learn how you drive it yet!

The lurching seems to me to be something that comes on mostly after about 1500 miles when the so called intelligent box learns your driving style.

It then gets confused whe someone else drives it.

See how it goes and let us all know.

Michael.

Hi All,

Guess what?

We are getting fobbed off again with no date forthcoming for a meeting with Mr Settle and our dealership.

So, this morning we have called Lexus in Brussels who apparently oversee LGB.

They tell us that Japan has to decide what happens and they will tell Europe who will tell the UK!

We are now mailing Japan and will sit up late tonight to speak to them again.

If anyone else wants to call Brussels the number is 0032 274 52111 and ask for Mr Don Baker or email him at don.baker@toyota-europe.com

Good luck with your lobbying and lets hope that they finally start to listen to us!

Michael.

Hi All,

Guess what?

We are getting fobbed off again with no date forthcoming for a meeting with Mr Settle and our dealership.

So, this morning we have called Lexus in Brussels who apparently oversee LGB.

They tell us that Japan has to decide what happens and they will tell Europe who will tell the UK!

We are now mailing Japan and will sit up late tonight to speak to them again.

If anyone else wants to call Brussels the number is 0032 274 52111 and ask for Mr Don Baker or email him at don.baker@toyota-europe.com

Good luck with your lobbying and lets hope that they finally start to listen to us!

Michael.

Good luck Michael. I hope they listen to you :)

Billy

Hi All,

We have still not had a meeting or a conversation withh Steve Settle.

We have however been called by our delaerhsip principal at LEXUS SOUTHAMPTON - he has said that here is no dael to be doen with LGB but if we pay a substantial betterment cost and trade our car they are happy to trade it against any car we ant.

Well thanks a lot guys - any garage would do that for me!

They are all missing the point here.

We are fed up to the back teeth with a car that is fundamentally flawed.

My wife has now mailed Lexus Japan - see the posts on the 400h thread for all the contact details of the president and all the VP's - so well see what that brings forth.

She has also gotten onto Lexus Brussels but they have simply sent it back to customer care in the UK - and we all know what a waste of time that is don't we? The mail went to tyhe same chap who is supposed to be calling you all about the fix using the database of info I collated for them and which they seem to have forgotten about.

We will post as and when anything happens .

Michael.

Hi All,

We have still not had a meeting or a conversation withh Steve Settle.

We have however been called by our delaerhsip principal at LEXUS SOUTHAMPTON - he has said that here is no dael to be doen with LGB but if we pay a substantial betterment cost and trade our car they are happy to trade it against any car we ant.

Well thanks a lot guys - any garage would do that for me!

They are all missing the point here.

We are fed up to the back teeth with a car that is fundamentally flawed.

My wife has now mailed Lexus Japan - see the posts on the 400h thread for all the contact details of the president and all the VP's - so well see what that brings forth.

She has also gotten onto Lexus Brussels but they have simply sent it back to customer care in the UK - and we all know what a waste of time that is don't we? The mail went to tyhe same chap who is supposed to be calling you all about the fix using the database of info I collated for them and which they seem to have forgotten about.

We will post as and when anything happens .

Michael.

I have been biding my time waiting for Lexus Brighton to contact me.As ,of course, this did not happen I phoned last week.

They seemed to have only the vaguest notion of what I was talking about and suggested I phone LGB.I spoke to a lady there who treated me in the most off hand manner and seemed to object to the fact that I knew anything about a "fix" She said there was something on the website but it was for internal use only.

She suggested that if I had not complained to the dealer then nothing could be done. I said I had just done so before speaking to her!

I went back to Lexus Brighton who said they would undertake research and come back to me.They did not ,as always when I call and when I followed up they said they had to have more time but had spoken to other dealers who knew nothing about the problem. I am awating another call but I get the impression I should not hold my breath.

I did tell them to look at this site but I got the feeling that that would not be an option.