Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi

I have decided to emigrate from Saabs and I have just ordered an RX400H for delivery Sept/October.

Some images on Lexus webite show it without roof rails and I think it looks a lot nicer. Besides it will be easier to fit it into my "Garage" which is an ex farm building with a low doorway.

Does anyone know if it is feasible to remove the rails and if so how is it done?

I guess it would be the same as for a 300 model?

Also is the Satnav the same unit as on the Prius? I notice there are mod kits available in the USA for the Prius to enable VCR, composite Video input..maybe even TV :) ?

Thanks

Billy

Hi

I have decided to emigrate from Saabs and I have just ordered an RX400H for delivery Sept/October.

Some images on Lexus webite show it without roof rails and I think it looks a lot nicer. Besides it will be easier to fit it into my "Garage" which is an ex farm building with a low doorway.

Does anyone know if it is feasible to remove the rails and if so how is it done?

Also is the Satnav the same unit as on the Prius? I notice there are mod kits available in the USA for the Prius to enable VCR, composite Video input..maybe even TV :) ?

Thanks

Billy

I agree with you it does look quite good without the rails, don't know how to remove them though.

Hi

Thanks

Billy

I agree with you it does look quite good without the rails, don't know how to remove them though.

Hi again. Thanks for reply. I was beginning to think that nobody wanted to talk to me :unsure: I am a newbie to this board and am struggiling to figure out how to reply to messages.

I think it would be good if we could remove the rails even if it meant putting in a filler strip of some kind.

I am still wondering about what mods we could do to the Satnav to connect a Digital or Analogue UK TV tuner....

Will the ariel still not hit even if you remove the roof rails ?

Also, be careful about putting filler in... you want to be able to put them back on come re-sale time.

I believe the aerial folds down flat...

I meant a pastic removable strip, not body filler :)

But yes you are correct :) It would affect resale value.

Hi

Thanks

Billy

Hi again. Thanks for reply. I was beginning to think that nobody wanted to talk to me :unsure: I am a newbie to this board and am struggiling to figure out how to reply to messages.

I think it would be good if we could remove the rails even if it meant putting in a filler strip of some kind.

I am still wondering about what mods we could do to the Satnav to connect a Digital or Analogue UK TV tuner....

:driving: If you do find a way to remove them without any damage, would be much abliged if you can pass it on. I would think that they are bolted to the inside of roof before the cloth goes on, don't know for sure though. Good luck with it.

[

:driving: If you do find a way to remove them without any damage, would be much abliged if you can pass it on. I would think that they are bolted to the inside of roof before the cloth goes on, don't know for sure though. Good luck with it.

No probs...if I find out :)

[

Hello Billy

It is easy to remove the roof rails. Honest.

The front and rear covers are retained by plastic plugs.

To remove the front ones, carefully slot a screwdriver under the front of the sloping cover and prise upwards. Then pull the cover forward which will then expose 2 x 13mm bolts. The rear removal is the same. Remember to put a cloth or something under the screwdriver so you do not damage the bodywork.

When the rails have been removed, put the bolts back in and apply sealant. You will have to by a new continuous rubber trim to cover where the rails fixing points.

Regards

Andy

[

Hello Billy

To remove the front ones, carefully slot a screwdriver under the front of the sloping cover and prise upwards. Then pull the cover forward which will then expose 2 x 13mm bolts. The rear removal is the same. Remember to put a cloth or something under the screwdriver so you do not damage the bodywork.

When the rails have been removed, put the bolts back in and apply sealant. You will have to by a new continuous rubber trim to cover where the rails fixing points.

Regards

Andy

Thanks Andy

That is great news and a relief. I should noew be able to put my nes 400h in the garage/barn after all :)

I will arrange with the dealer to remove them and supply the strip:).

BR. Billy

• 2 months later...

[

Hello Billy

Regards

Andy

Thanks Andy

That is great news and a relief. I should noew be able to put my nes 400h in the garage/barn after all :)

I will arrange with the dealer to remove them and supply the strip:).

BR. Billy

Well Andy, that was very successful! I told the dealer (Lexus Newcastle) about this who did some research and located a kit and did the job. He charged me £100 for doing the job which I was too chicken to do myself :)

Now that I see how it works it is very easy, but you will need to buy the litte panels (approx 4" long) to go over the gaps. They are similar to thos on other cars with slots for roof racks and glued in place, I wthink with double sided tape or glue...

The end caps clip off by sliding bacward away from the main bars. Just be CAREFULL!! They filled the bolt holes with silicone sealant, which may be hard to remove, but I doubt I ever will need to!

My car looks a lot better without them. Easier to clean the roof and looks less like an antisocial 4 x 4! It also fits through my low garage/barn doorway with 1" to spare!!

Thanks for everyones comments and advice esp. Andy!

More to follow on MPG topic

I actually prefer the look of the rails on, and I dont have them on my Mk1 - unless you want to sell the ones you took off yours, providing they fit my mk1  :D

Well I might when I fully decide.

I wonder what they are worth?

I t cost me £100 to have them removed!! :)

So are you saying you want £100 for them.....  :whistling:

Does anyone out there know if the rails from a mk2 will fit a mk1 (with sunroof)?

Pass! But I haven't decided whether to keep them for future use.

I don't want to rush into it yet. Maybe later...

I would have to find out the new retail price anyway... :(

So are you saying you want £100 for them.....  :whistling:

Does anyone out there know if the rails from a mk2 will fit a mk1 (with sunroof)?

Pass! But I haven't decided whether to keep them for future use.

I don't want to rush into it yet. Maybe later...

I would have to find out the new retail price anyway... :(

Hi Andy,

Sorry to disappoint you but I decided it would be best to keep the rails as I may need them in the future, esp when it is trade in time :)

Cheers.

Billy