Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Broadband advice needed

andyhart21

I know there are some computer brainboxes out there, so your advice would be greatly appreciated:yes::yes::yes:

I have just bought a new laptop and I am interested in getting a faster internet connection. Firstly I would like to know the difference between broadband, cable, ISDN and any other high speed internet connection available. Also, which is the better one to go for in terms of speed and cost?

Secondly, my ideal solution would be to have a wireless high speed internet connection, is this possible? Would I lose speed by going wireless?

HELP!!!!!!

Cheers in advance;););)

also certain ISp's have different prices.. for broadband I would say try Pipex.. much cheaper

NTL broadband are offering 1Mb Downstream for £35 a month... Bargain!

I have BT ADSL :(

The adslguide site seems to ignore cable, which is the way I get my broadband. My installation has a modem which is attached to the same co-ax cable as the tv so it leaves the phone line free. You then need a network card in your PC to connect to the cable. I use two Pc (one is a laptop) be at present I have to disconnect one and then switch the modem off, before plugging in the other and re-booting the modem.

The speed is impresive, and it is always on which is an advantage but also means that you must have a firewall to try and protect your PC from hackers

LOL @ Dave and his neighbours!

Claire.. i have been known to be in the bath whilst on the chat once... wireless laptop next to the bath whilst soaking.

it's a sad life i lead.

Originally posted by Steve

NTL broadband are offering 1Mb Downstream for £35 a month... Bargain!

Steve, I thought the NTL 1MB was £49 a month? I have the 512 service and I've always been really impressed with it. In two years I thinks its only been off-line twice although then NTL have taken a while to fix it.

Claire, I have a wireless Cable/DSL network hub and my laptop is no slower surfing/downloading than my PC which is hard wired. Jim, I'd recommend one of these, as you can share the connection between both laptops without having to unplug the modem etc.

If you go for ADSL I think in reality BT is behind all ADSL connections. All the other companies rent the line/service from BT.

Therefore, you will need a BT line to your house. This does not mean that you must change your phone system to BT, but their phone port must be available. Don't get ripped off by being charged mega-bucks for the "ADSL Modem" either. You can buy them separately for under £80 now (you can even get a USB pluggable version - so easier to switch between machines). Once you have the ADSL modem you will also need a splitter - looks like a multi-phone port - except you plug the modem in one side and your phone on the other - hence how it manages to let you use the phone whilst surfing. It is rumoured that before XMAS there will be a drop in general ADSL connection cost down to £14.99 a month.java script:icon(':wow:')

Just looked on the ntl site for the 1Mb service:

Promotional offer available to new 1Mb Broadband customers until 31/12/02. After 31/12/02 1Mb Broadband Internet price will revert to original £49.99 per month for all customers. ntl:home services not available in all areas. Subject to a 12-month contract.

Not sure the upgrade is worth it for me at 49.99 a month. £34.99 a month permanently and I'd have been on the phone tomorrow!

Here's my tuppence worth.

Had BT Home Highway ISDN.

Fast dial up, 64K on one channel, 128K on two but you pay for two calls. Expensive comapred to ADSL because you only get a call allowance in the package and then you're paying for any time. Also a bit complex to configure compared to ADSL.

ADSL is available from BT in most Urbanish areas (well they've made it to Braintree anyway). As has been said you get always on free uncapped (at the moment) access to the Internet. It's cheap compared to ISDN (even cheaper when your employer pays for it !). However be prepared for dodgy service from BT (nobody wants to take responsibility) and it can be a bit flaky. Installation is easy. When it works though it's great.

There are also some other Broadband options if you live in the sticks. Satelitte broadband is expensive, although may be cheaper than ISDN if you are a heavy user. Also BT are capping the traffic level you can generate.

Also some areas (usually near industrial estates) offer wireless broadband. Not sure on costs or quality because they tend to be very localised and vary alot.

With my professional hat on, be aware of the security issues of ASDL. The always on connection means that you're always there for the script kiddies. They will be port scanning you within about five minutes tops. Therefore get yourself a decent OS (Win2K + or Tough Linux) and apply all the patches and security tweaks recommended and consider a personal firewall. Also if you go wireless apply the security settings otherwise you neighbours could benefit from your generous provision of Internet access.

Remember they may not want your info, but your computer could be very usefull in launching attacks elsewhere.

Lecture over, I'll be in the bar !

I'm connected through NTL cable 600k Broadband, and it's superfast. It costs 24.99 per month, plus an initial 25 squid installation charge (they run a seperate cable from the box outside your house, so you still have seperate phone).

The modem came free and has two types of connection, USB (Plug and Play stuff) or Ethernet. Ethernet is significantly faster than USB, but you have to go out and spend a whole 8.99 on an Ethernet card.

I've only had one problem with the NTL service, they connected me to a full switch in Nottingham, and I live in Leamington Spa. They then connected me to a new switch in Warwick and everything was, and still is Jubbly!! It only took them 5 mins to sort this out, and only a 5 minute wait to speak to the engineer (very impressed).

As for the prices coming down to 14.99, I don't think that will happen for some time yet. Some companies are offering that price now, but it's not economically viable and they will soon be out of business, plus it means they don't have the cash available to upgrade their systems to keep up with the high speed development of new technologies in the IT sector.

By the way, this is not me trying to sound inteligent, that's quoted from the Saturday/Sunday Times Business section.

Hopes that helps a bit??

Cheers

Martin :cool:

Hi Andy,

OK, there's been loads of posts on the whole broadband thing, so I'll try to help with the wireless part...

Firstly Wireless communications (802.11) ARE indeed slower than modern ethernet networks (11Mbps vs 100Mbps), however as broadband is only at 1Mbps or 512kbps this isn't a problem - your laptop will get all the benefits of the broadband. The only issue is if you put other computers on the network at a later date and are concerned about speed then. I'd therefore suggest that this isn't an arguement against wireless.

Ok, the next problem is that you need to get from the Broadband 'wires' to a wireless access point before the signal can be beamed to your laptop. The best way to do this would be to get a broadband wireless router - such as (http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-info3-info.asp?&m=y&quicklinx=10PN) or (http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-info3-info.asp?&m=y&quicklinx=22ZV).

You'll also need to check wireless compatibility with your laptop - it may have it integrated - if not you'll need to buy a wireless card (http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-info.asp?quicklinx=YKN).

What happens then is that you make sure your broadband provider supplies you with a modem with an RJ45 (std ethernet) connection. You then take a std patch cable to connect the cable modem to the wireless router. this then talks to the wireless card in your laptop wherever you are!

It's a slick solution, but costs a fair bit, FWIW I'd reccomend going for a cable modem (e.g. NTL), their modems provide a RJ45 connector - (usually) BT (ADSL) provide only USB modems unless you pay extra.

HTH,

Div.

Oh, and don't ignore the warnings about the firewalls - make sure you have one - either built into the router, or a software one (there's a free one in windows XP)

I'm with Pipex.. sure they've got ADSL problems at the moment but I have faith in them, I've been with them for a long time and they've always been first class and up front.

As for wireless... just be careful, it is _very_ easy to snoop data over wireless networks and if you're using it for work going wireless may not be the safest thing unless you're running a VPN (And if you do go with a VPN, I recommend IPSec and an old machine running BSD with IPSec and routing enabled... it will save you loads of money compared to a proper hardware VPN).

I'm also using an Asus ADSL router, its the best router for the money and works over Ethernet, not nasty USB. The Asus is great unless you want to use a VPN, it doesn't have any support for VPNs :(

Originally posted by GCHQAgent

As for wireless... just be careful, it is _very_ easy to snoop data over wireless networks and if you're using it for work going wireless may not be the safest thing unless you're running a VPN (And if you do go with a VPN, I recommend IPSec and an old machine running BSD with IPSec and routing enabled... it will save you loads of money compared to a proper hardware VPN).

Linux, kismet and an Orinocco wireless card.

Depending on where you live you may never have to pay for your internet access again!

:smug:

Originally posted by Rodders_UK

I have Home Highway - and need to dial point to point to my work server - can I still do that if I go ADSL??

Rodders

No, but most companies are implementing new access systems that use VPNs over the Internet, so ask your IT bods.

Originally posted by dazzab69
Originally posted by Rodders_UK

I have Home Highway - and need to dial point to point to my work server - can I still do that if I go ADSL??

Rodders

No, but most companies are implementing new access systems that use VPNs over the Internet, so ask your IT bods.

Just don't let any company tell you you have to buy a hardware VPN that can cost many thousands of pounds... they're only really useful if either your network admin doesn't know how to set one up or is just lazy ;)

Jev>

Generally speaking USB modems are Ok, however with Andy's 'problem' he's after a wireless connection - which means that the USB would need to be plugged into a computer somewhere before the wireless signal is 'beamed'. I don't think Andy has - or wants - this option.

USB is also not too handy in (company) situations which may involve hardware firewalls or routers - with a USB modem you have to have a computer on the 'public' side - before the firewall or router - with a nonUSB (i.e. Ethernet) modem the modem can plug straight into the firewall leaving all the computers secure inside the firewall.

Div.

Originally posted by ricky_is200

I've looked through the broadband forums before and most people say ethernet is faster, as USB requires more computer resources to run.

this is technically true, but bearing in mind the speed of a cable modem, compared with the speed even the crappiest network card is capable of (say 1MB with a minimum 10meg card, maybe even 100 meg card), this is a bit like debating whether to use a ferrari or a mclaren f1 to drive to Sainsburies on a Saturday afternoon.

Your car may be capable of great speed, but in reality, you ain't going faster than 25mph (if you are lucky!)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links