Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx300 Vibration

Anybody having a problem with a virbation through the streeing wheel and foot pedals at 750rpm?

On my 03 car I get this vibration mainly when I'm in drive but not moving. When the engine is ticking over at around 500 RPM there is no vibration, but when the A/C or the power steering kicks in the revs increase and the vibration arrives. When pulling away the vibration dies away until around 1750RPM where it makes a brief apperance and then goes.

I don't think it is anything to do with being an automatic and the car wanting to pull away due to the increase in revs as the vibration does happen on the move if only briefly. It seems more to do with the engine being placed under load when pulling away at low revs.

My local dealer has told me that this is know problem on a few cars according to Lexus but there is no cure. They have replaced quite a few parts on the engine but although it initially reduced the vibration it is now coming back.

Any ideas as this is now getting on my nerves?

Apart from that a great car!

Anybody having a problem with a virbation through the streeing wheel and foot pedals at 750rpm?

On my 03 car I get this vibration mainly when I'm in drive but not moving. When the engine is ticking over at around 500 RPM there is no vibration, but when the A/C or the power steering kicks in the revs increase and the vibration arrives. When pulling away the vibration dies away until around 1750RPM where it makes a brief apperance and then goes.

I don't think it is anything to do with being an automatic and the car wanting to pull away due to the increase in revs as the vibration does happen on the move if only briefly. It seems more to do with the engine being placed under load when pulling away at low revs.

My local dealer has told me that this is know problem on a few cars according to Lexus but there is no cure. They have replaced quite a few parts on the engine but although it initially reduced the vibration it is now coming back.

Sorry mate, i'm on my 3rd RX mk 2 can't say as iv'e noticed any vibration on any of them, must be a just a fault on yours, hope you get it sorted.

My Mate has the same problem with his beams altezza .When the engine is ticking over at around 700 RPM there is no vibration, but when the A/C kicks in the revs increase to just below 1000 and the vibration arrives causing the steering wheel to shake.There is no vibration after 1000rmp. Can anyone advise?

To the best of my Knowledge the causes of vibration could be due to

A Weak engine mount ( Vibration at certain speed of engine whilst stationary)

Rubber mountings need checking and/or replacing

B Wheel out of balance

C A tyre being slightly oval in shape ( try changing each wheel in turn to

see if this is the cause)

D A flat spot on the tyre

Other causes for cars with ht leads plugs distributers for general interest

Strange as it may seem there could be a possibility that a spark plug is breaking down. I have had this on another car, and whilst ticking over everything seems ok, but even a slight hairline crack, maybe undetectable to the eye could under certain pressure, ie revs, short to earth although when tested seems ok

Most HT leads are carbon fibre with copper pins stuck in the end, faults do occur here as well ,I had a mini some years ago and it kept missing under pressure, drove me mad trying to find out why it kept missing, eventually traced it down to burnt out carbon fibre where the pin is stuck into it.

Distributor caps are notorious for cracking or the rotor needing replacing or even the low tension lead faulty ( bad contact)

May be worth the garage looking into plugs and leads as well as a missed spark could result in what you are experiencing.

Realspeed

Hope this may be of some help

Thanks Realspeed.

Spark plugs have been changed - no difference

and because the vibration happens when the car is stationary I guess that narrows it down to weak/damaged engine mounts rather than wheel tyre problems.

Anyone ever changed their engine mounts? cost ?difficulty?

A  Weak engine mount ( Vibration at certain speed of engine whilst stationary)

B  Wheel out of balance

C  A tyre being slightly oval in shape ( try changing each wheel in turn to

D  A flat spot on the tyre

Strange as it may seem there could be a possibility that a spark plug is breaking down. I have had this on another car, and whilst ticking over everything seems ok, but even a slight hairline crack, maybe undetectable to the eye could under certain pressure, ie revs,  short to earth although when tested seems ok

Most HT leads are carbon fibre with copper pins stuck in the end, faults do occur here as well ,I had a mini some years ago and it kept missing under pressure, drove me mad trying to find out why it kept missing, eventually traced it down to burnt out carbon fibre where the pin is stuck into it.

Distributor caps are notorious for cracking or the rotor needing replacing or even the low tension lead faulty ( bad contact)

May be worth the garage looking into plugs and leads as well as a missed spark could result in what you are experiencing.

Realspeed

Thanks Realspeed.

and because the vibration happens when the car is stationary I guess that narrows it down to weak/damaged engine mounts rather than wheel tyre problems.

B  Wheel out of balance

Strange as it may seem there could be a possibility that a spark plug is breaking down. I have had this on another car, and whilst ticking over everything seems ok, but even a slight hairline crack, maybe undetectable to the eye could under certain pressure, ie revs,  short to earth although when tested seems ok

Realspeed

You say your car is an 03, i would go back to your local Lexus dealer and ask for the mountings to be changed under warranty, worth a try.

• 3 months later...
Thanks Realspeed.

B  Wheel out of balance

Realspeed

You say your car is an 03, i would go back to your local Lexus dealer and ask for the mountings to be changed under warranty, worth a try.

Check the US owners club. Sounds like this vibration is a big problem with the RX330 over there. Still no cure as yet.

Can't be that big a problem if nobody here is reporting it... ? Can it ??

Big enough for one guy to take Lexus in the US to court over it. He lost as Lexus said that is the way the car works. He did eventually get Lexus to fit some sort of vibration kit which cured the problem. Trying to find out what was fitted. I also noticed that some LS200s suffer the same probelm. Purphaps it's a Lexus trait.

Can't be that big a problem if nobody here is reporting it... ? Can it ??

Big enough for one guy to take Lexus in the US to court over it. He lost as Lexus said that is the way the car works. He did eventually get Lexus to fit some sort of vibration kit which cured the problem. Trying to find out what was fitted. I also noticed that some LS200s suffer the same probelm. Purphaps it's a Lexus trait.

fact that someone in the US took someone to court means nothing.... well known that they take anyone they can to court for anything at all...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links