Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheels and corrosion

Rob

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to get mine replaced as they're spotted all over, not very badly, but they shouldn't be spotted at all, my Clio Si alloys are unmarked, and that car was less than half what the Lex cost!

My dealer said in the summer that the wheels weren't bad enough to be accepted back by Lexus UK but he would inspect them after winter. I never wash my wheels now (excpept when the dealers wash them at every service!), so they have a good coating of brake dust and salt that should accelerate the corrosion :D

Hi Guys - 1st post - I hope it works!

My dealer has replaced 6 of my alloys on my IS200 - 5 for pit-marks and 1 for kerb damage caused whilst at the dealers. Apparently, this is a common problem on the 17 inch wheels.

Also, when washing my car a few weeks back, I noticed very slight blistering paint on all 4 of the new wheels presently on the car. These wheels are only 3 months old! I will go back to the dealer in a week or two to try for another new set.

bye,

Phil ;)

Hi Robbie,

I'll let you know how i get on when I next go to the dealers, although I won't get a weekday off work for a few weeks.

The dealers agreed within seconds to replace the first set, although I did have to return to the garage 3 times as I rejected one wheel for slight damage to the rim. I then had to return to get the steering straightened up, as it was knocked out when fitting the wheels.

Phil

I got away from work early today, so I went along to the dealers to show them the problems with my new wheels. They were shocked that they could deteriate so much in 3 months, and have agreed to replace them under warranty.

This will take a few weeks at least, as the problem is so commonplace that Lexus UK have told dealers that they can only order one set of wheels per day, such is the demand.

My dealer has 5 orders yet to be placed (i'm 5th), and i'm am apparently not the first owner to be on their 3rd set of wheels (including originals).

I hope that this helps.

Phil

cheers for the info Phil, I think i will have to go back to my dealer and see what i can do about getting mine changed, prob with the wheels is that if you dont clean them all the time they seem to to be easily marked by the dust and it is a nightmare to clean them, even with wonder wheels it takes ages, the rough surface doesnt help either.

cheers

robbie.

My wheels 17's started to blister before the car was three months old.The car has now done 8000 miles and the wheels are completeley knackered !

I have spoken to my local dealer in Staffordshire and they said they are going to replace the after the winter.They also said they have replaced loads and that it is still an ongoing problem

You're right Chris, the problem certainly seems to be ongoing. My concern is what happens once my warranty runs out in June 2002.

I have just sent a letter of to Lexus HQ listing all of the faults on my car, asking them for their opinion, and what will happen once the warranty runs out. Does anyone know how much an extended warranty costs?

I will let you all know what the official response is once I get it.

Cheers Phil :cool:

Well, I got a phone call from the dealer today - the new wheels have arrived. The car is booked in next Tuesday for the new wheels. I have booked a courtesy car, which I hope is an IS300, so I can compare it.

One question, can tyres be damaged/weakened by changing them onto new rims too often ie. 4 times?

Phil

• 5 months later...

Thanks fluff34567,

After reading this post I went outside, inspected my wheels closer to reveal it was corrosion and not brake dust which I could not remove!

Went back to dealer (I bought my IS200 in Jan2001) and I've now got 5 brand new wheels... after 1.5 years of use: cool!

I'm told this problem was fixed in April'02 by extra coating and a new 'film' layer on the wheels ... the newer versions look more 'glossy' than the original wheels did when they were new.

Anyone else who has < 3 year old IS200 with the same prob should contact the dealer.

• 1 month later...

I've had my IS200 for just a little under 3 years, and still under warranty. Lexus (to their credit) have replaced so much that the warranty has been worth its having. Last to be replaced was my SatNav, but that is a whole other story.......

Anyway, is it a general problem that the IS200 wheels suffer from corrosion (SE 17" wheels). They look particularly bad with lines appearing under the lacquer on the wheel surface. I was considering having them re-finished, but wanted to know if anyone had wheels replaced under warranty because of this. The corrosion isn't because of impact.

Go into your local dealer and ask for them to be replace under warranty !

They will order you a full set of 5 refurbished wheels which have a much better finish and are painted on both sides (that where the problem is with the originals)

Chris

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links