Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheels and corrosion

Rob

guitareth - did you have any luck with your wheels yet? Mine have a very similar look to them on the edges of the "spokes".

No I haven't spoken to the dealer yet, as I was looking for feedback from this forum as to whether people thought I had a case. It seems to me that there's 2 issues:

• 1. The corrosion that I've seen in pictures - showing an effect like lots of small rusty specks

• 2. The "bubbling" effect which I've got - as shown in my pictures above.

I'm trying to clarify if the bubbling has also resulted in wheels being replaced by dealers, and/or whether people think I've got a good case for requesting replacements. The car is only 11 month and 9000 miles old after all! Any comments anyone? :question::question:

Also, no I don't think my wheels are the newer ones as they are in fact milled on the outer edges showing a shiny silver edge. (Prob just my out of focus piccies making you think otherwise!) My IS200SE was new in March 02, and I believe the fully painted ones started being used as replacements after that - but correct me if I'm wrong!

I really would appreciate any feedback on this "bubbling" issue.

Cheers

Gareth

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I visited the Aberdeen branch this week to show them the bubbling on my wheels. They eventually agreed to ordering refurbished replacements for all 5 wheels. I asked about getting brand new ones instead of refurbished, but they were very adamant that Lexus will not do that - only refurbished can be provided they said. Didn't see much point in pushing it further, so have accepted the refurbs. From comments it appears that some people think the refurbished ones are better anyway.

I have some kerb damage on the outer edges of my front wheels and they did however, say that its possible that Lexus may reject the wheels that are kerb damaged but "we'll deal with that if it comes up". They are trying to get my refurbs for next Friday when I'm getting my first (10K) service, so I'll keep you posted on outcome.

Gareth

bigsul: Just got my car back today. New wheels and calipers all round

Interested in you saying you got new calipers too. Why was that? I ask cos I've noticed the dark grey paint on my calipers is not looking too great now - looks sort of like mottled with white spots. Is this another issue I should be taking up with them?

Have now taken photos:

Rear: Rear_Caliper.jpg Front: Front_Caliper.jpg

Comments welcome.

Gareth

Interested in you saying you got new calipers too. Why was that? I ask cos I've noticed the dark grey paint on my calipers is not looking too great now - looks sort of like mottled with white spots. Is this another issue I should be taking up with them?

Have now taken photos:

Comments welcome.

Gareth

Guitareth

thats exactly what my calipers look like

Read this thread

Mat C says that there had been a recall and replacement a while ago for this.

I shall be contacting the dealer this week to show them.

The wheels on my 99T GS300 were all totally knackered at 60K miles (just over two years old) and were replaced under warranty. The car has now done 106K and they are starting to show signs of failing again. I doubt I can claim again, however, does anyone know of a good reconditioner who can exchange while you wait?

Thanks,

Marcus.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks to all the comments on the corroded wheels I called my Lexus dealer (Leicester) last week (26/03/03) and straight away, no questions asked, he booked the car (IS200 SE Auto 09/2000 with 48000 miles) in for 5 new wheels. The work was done yesterday (01/04/03). That's what I call excellent service.

Can anyone recommend a decent company to remove small dents. Someone decided to open thier door onto mine!

This rust is now p*ssing me off. Does anyone know of a garage that can treat this problem once and for all? The warranty on my Lexus has just run out. I will still speak to Lexus GB al the same.

Thanks

Hi all-just logged in to your great site.Have had my IS200 sport

for one year and at first service on 29.03.03 had five new alloys fitted(not refurbished).Mentioned about the corrosion on the calipers and was told "no problem" we will replace them-Just waiting on the arriving.Dealer was Lexus Edinburgh .

You're the 2nd guy on this forum for whom Lexus Edinburgh has replaced the calipers no quibble. Lexus UK told me that any dealership who'd replaced the calipers under warranty would have found that their claim was subsequently rejected. Seems strange that considering Lexus UK have stated this is not a warranty issue ("normal wear and tear") dealers like Edinburgh are happy to carry on footing the bill for this themselves B)

Guess I'll have to get my car down to Edinburgh :P :P :P

My Warranty has run out yet Lexus GB has authorised my local dealership to replace all 5 wheels and wheel hub due to this corrosion business and also extend the warranty to 100K mile.

• 2 months later...

Have now taken photos:

Comments welcome.

Gareth

Please can you contact me re above bquinn53@hotmail.com (calliper replacement) thanks.

Hmmm - the old corroded calipers topic again <_< If you.ve not already read them you may care to look at these threads:

Is Brake Calipers, assistance of LOC Collective requested

Brake Caliper Replacement Under Warranty

Tiny White "chips" On Brake Calipers

As with other apparently common Lexus faults, there appears to be no consistency on the way this is treated by each dealer. If you go to the right dealer they'll replace your calipers, but others wont (such as my dealer Aberdeen, unfortunately <_< ), and Lexus UK Customer Service have backed this stand, stating this is "cosmetic" :blush: So if the paintwork on our cars start rusting and flaking off after a year isn't that purely cosmetic too??!! Hmmm!!

Anyway, I know someone was collecting info on who had had their calipers replaced (see above threads) so we could go to Lexus UK and challenge them about this inconsistency, but I dont think this was ever followed up as it all went quiet.

Same thing happened about the issue of the paint easily chipping, as I believe there was a plan to raise a "collective" case about that too. Don't get me wrong - I'm not pointing the finger at anyone as we're all busy. I just think it's a shame that these issues get debated a lot on this forum, with plans to use our collective muscle, but they then seem to get forgotten about and Lexus are let off the hook again. Maybe we need to find an appropriate LOC member who lives near to Lexus UK who'd be willing to meet with Lexus Customer service to raise issues of common concern?? Wht does everyone think :question::question::question:

Cheers

Gareth