Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Today, my GS MKII bonnet won't lock down. Is the catch purely mechanical oir is there some electrics involved?

There seems to be many wires leading to it.

The catch is well greased and when I push it down it moves to close but doesn't 'click' and lock in the closed position.

can anyone help . I can find no previus posts reagrding this but cannot imagine I am the first to have this problem.

The wires are for the electronic release and boot open sensor. The catch is mechanical.

I've not heard of any GS owner with this problem before.

Problem is with the bonnet catch, rather than boot. There seems to be a plastic cover over something, underneath the metal cross brace which the catch is fixed to and I cannot see what is under it and it doesn't appear to come off.

The wires are for the electronic release and boot open sensor. The catch is mechanical.

I've not heard of any GS owner with this problem before.

Problem is with the bonnet catch, rather than boot. There seems to be a plastic cover over something, underneath the metal cross brace which the catch is fixed to and I cannot see what is under it and it doesn't appear to come off.

The "hook" part of the catch is adjustable to accomodate wear and tear, you need to move it up/ down

I had exactly the same problem with my Mk2 GS. The problem is not the catch, it is the cable. The RAC managed to do a temperary repair by lubricating it. It needed a new cable and as this means access the catch which has an anti-theft shield with special bolts it is not a simple job. Lexus charged £273 to replace the cable!!

Mine snapped 200 miles from home too.

The plastic "ball" will have snapped off inside the catch. You need a new cable. The part is only £30, in order to fit it properly you need to remove half the front of the car though! Hence JCC's big labour bill!

Gaz

I had a simular problem where the bonnet would not close. The bonnet cable was worn/stretched. I mananged to add a 1/4 inch type washer which took up the slack in the cable and enbled the bonnet to latch.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links