Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Turbo Or Supercharged I Need Help....

:zee:  :driving: im 16 and i have a 1994 es300 lexus....what is better for it if i want to race a turbo or a supercharger i ask because every one i talk to says i want a turbo becuase o cant fit a supercharger and if u did fit one on it u would blow ur engine....help please

a turbo and supercharger are different methods of providing the same thing, forced induction the only difference is the method in which the boost is supplied turbochargers are gas driven whereas superchargers are engine driven by a pulley both methods have their advantages and drawbacks but a supercharger will stand less of a chance of blowing your engine than a turbo but with a turbo and the right internals etc you can push more pressure through the induction and more fuel which gives more power

The best people to contact would be TDi and Prolex as they will have first hand experience

I just hope you have the deepest pockets i have seen on a 16 year old or wealthy parents :D

• 1 month later...

Turbos are easier to custom build as a whole manifold nitake is simpler but harder to make properly for supercharging

good luck on finding the right spots to mount them in as it can be done but not as effictivley as another car with a a better engine/tranny and chassis to withstand teh power

legendswraith is somewhat incorrect.

Any style supercharger can destroy and engine just as easily as any turbocharger can.

Also, pressure has nothing to do with power, the mass of airflow does.

The TRD Supercharger (roots style) Can be machined to fit onto any of the 92 & up intake styles. 3vz-, or 1mz.

With enough money, or work, anything will work. Personally... I like Turbochargers more. With the correct sizing, you can achive a better powerband, and they have better off-boost driveability.

Personally, the TRD unit is far overpriced, has problems, and isn't worth the money.

You can search anywhere for the discussions between them. It's been run over hundreds of thousands of times.

A centrifugal supercharger utilizes an impeller spun by a drive pulley to compress air then discharges it through a scroll type housing to the engine. The high impeller speeds are produced by internally overdriving the input shaft, which is overdriven by the external drive pulley on the supercharger. As the supercharger draws in air, an internal rotating impeller compresses it and then it is forced out through the scroll of the supercharger. The scroll collects the compressed air forcing it into the discharge tube in which it is forced into the engines air intake.

Recommended Usage:

Street/Strip – Road/Drag Racing – Commercial

Pros:

• Centrifugal superchargers cost is typically less.

• Centrifugal superchargers are the fastest and simplest to install.

• Centrifugal superchargers create lower discharge temperatures which lead to greater reliability and performance.

Cons:

• Centrifugal superchargers do not produce as much boost in the lower rpm range.

A root type supercharger draws in air in which it is passed through intermeshing rotors, unlike the use of an impeller in a centrifugal supercharger. The air is collected in the area between the lobes and is compressed into the manifold to create boost. The Roots type supercharger is basically an air pump that compresses the air charge in the intake manifold and cylinders. Typically, root type superchargers have a two or three lobe rotor design, depending on the size of the case. Like a centrifugal supercharger, the charger is driven directly from the crankshaft via the use of a belt. The root type supercharger is the oldest to date, dating back to the 1880s when the Roots brothers designed it as an air conveyor for mine shafts.

Recommended Usage:

Extreme Drag/Street Racing - Towing

Pros:

• Root type superchargers deliver boost through the entire rpm range.

• Root type superchargers are capable of producing higher boost levels.

Cons:

• Root type superchargers produce hotter discharge temperatures.

• Installation is longer and more complicated.

The screw type supercharger is the predecessor of the roots type. Though the internal design of the charger is similar to the roots, the screw type exhibits internal compression. As air is passed through the supercharger, the pocket of air between the internal screws decrease in size towards the outlet. This increases the thermal efficiency beyond that of a roots type supercharger.

Recommended Usage:

Towing - Extreme Drag/Street Racing

Pros:

• Screw type superchargers produce high boost levels in the lower rpm range.

• Screw type superchargers are great for towing or hauling heavy loads.

• Screw type superchargers run cooler than roots type.

Cons:

• The power curve tends to be flat.

• The installation is longer and more complicated.

The TRD unit is a roots blower, put into a 1mz-fe upper intake.

A turbocharger can be sized to provide any amount of powerband.