Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheel Vibration

I am experiencing vibration through my steering wheel and the rest of the car at speed between 70 - 80, my tyres are all at 33psi, only thing that has changed recently is I have had a puncture repaired on rear drivers side, all tyres are factory fit Potenza, has anybody any ideas as to possible problem.

Thanks

It'll be wheel balancing mate

Will this be only down to balancing?

I have just had 4 Kumho Ku31's fitted (just brought the car and could not stretch to 4 Pirelli’s/Dunlop’s)

Kumho Info

I am having similar vibration problems, I have been back and had the wheels re-balanced three times now (the balancing machine had been re-calibrated before the last check) and am still getting vibrations...

Not sure what to try next??? :unsure:

I've a similar problem. Someone on another thread suggested that the wheel balancing machine needs to mount the wheels by the bolt holes on a stud plate instead of the more usual method of by the center on a cone. I've emailed local tyre companies to find one which does this and I'm going to give it a go next week. By coincidence (or not) I also have Khumo tyres. I know they're at the cheapish end of things. Now I'm wondering if they're harder to balance. Any ideas anyone?

I have just had 4 Kumho Ku31's fitted (just brought the car and could not stretch to 4 Pirelli’s/Dunlop’s)

Kumho Info

I am having similar vibration problems, I have been back and had the wheels re-balanced three times now (the balancing machine had been re-calibrated before the last check) and am still getting vibrations...

It's pretty much always balancing mate

Kumho Info

It's pretty much always balancing mate

Thanks for the info guys!

I'll take it back again on Monday, failing that anyone know if there is a tyre firm that uses the 'stud plate' in beds/bucks/herts?

Cheers

I know a very good place in Brackley - is that too far for you?

Wow thanks for the quick answer, this really is a great forum :D

I'll give the local fitter (Leighton Buzzard) one more chance, but am desperate to get it sorted, I have only had the car a couple of weeks and am loving it!

Brackley,Northamptonshire? Not to far about 35 miles...

I had trouble getting my 18" wheels balanced properly too. Went to a few places but in the end their seem to be 3places that can do them properly and have the proper machineary for large wheels.

Probably too far for the topic poster but for others in the North the places are:

WheelBase Oldham,

Stuart Wilson Tyres Hyde

Drury Lane Service Station Oldham

:D

I know a very good place in Brackley - is that too far for you?

Wow thanks for the quick answer, this really is a great forum :D

I'll give the local fitter (Leighton Buzzard) one more chance, but am desperate to get it sorted, I have only had the car a couple of weeks and am loving it!

Brackley,Northamptonshire? Not to far about 35 miles...

OK mate - if you get stuck, I can highly recommend Tyre Warehouse in Brackley - a small independent but excellent - 01280 706030 - tell them Rod sent you

OK mate - if you get stuck, I can highly recommend Tyre Warehouse in Brackley - a small independent but excellent - 01280 706030 - tell them Rod sent you

Will do, thanks V.much!

I went to a third tyre place yesterday to get mine balanced and these guys knew what they were talking about. At some point because of the wheel balancing being out one of the tyres had deformed. As they spun it you could see the centre line of the tread wobbling from side to side. This meant that you would always get vibration from that tyre no matter how much it was balanced.

Here's who they are. Figured they were worth a mention. Hoping they can sort it completely. They have two new tyres on order for me and I'm gonna get them to check the wheel alignment too as the front ones had worn on the inside (Lexus dealers did the wheel alignment last time).

Feltham Tyre Centre

414 Farnham Road

Slough

01753 530021

I went to a third tyre place yesterday to get mine balanced and these guys knew what they were talking about. At some point because of the wheel balancing being out one of the tyres had deformed. As they spun it you could see the centre line of the tread wobbling from side to side. This meant that you would always get vibration from that tyre no matter how much it was balanced.

Here's who they are. Figured they were worth a mention. Hoping they can sort it completely. They have two new tyres on order for me and I'm gonna get them to check the wheel alignment too as the front ones had worn on the inside (Lexus dealers did the wheel alignment last time).

Feltham Tyre Centre

414 Farnham Road

Slough

01753 530021

Hi,

Thanks for the info and glad you have got yours sorted out.

I am booked into STS (Wheels-inmotion.co.uk) this morning for a full geometry and also to check out the balancing problem.

Based on what I have read here I sure this will get the problem sorted for me.

Feltham Tyre Centre

414 Farnham Road

Slough

01753 530021

Hi,

Thanks for the info and glad you have got yours sorted out.

I am booked into STS (Wheels-inmotion.co.uk) this morning for a full geometry and also to check out the balancing problem.

Based on what I have read here I sure this will get the problem sorted for me.

Tony did a full geometry for me and also balanced my wheels when i had the same steering wheel vibration at a certain speed. He balances the wheels using the stud pattern and it makes a great difference. My left front wheel was out by something like 70g. Once sorted, problem gone

Just got back from seeing Tony (Wheels-inmotion) for a full geometry. Wow what a difference the car glides along now and no vibration what so ever... Tony is very knowledgeable explained what he was doing and is a genuinely nice guy!

Aside of the geometry tweaks it turned out (as expected) all four wheels were out of balance: -

NSR by 30gm

OSR by 15gm

NSR by 25gm

OSR by 15gm

Also all four tyres were over inflated (I guess I should have checked after they were fitted by the other company - who won't be getting any business from me in the future)

Tony also spotted that both my front alloys (Fondmetal 6500’s Linky) were missing the 'centre spacer' (not sure the technical term - circular green clip that fits in the wheel centre) back ones labelled 'PA 60.1 67.1'. If anyone has any idea where I can get these from it would be appreciated.

Tony if you are reading, I checked the front wheel nuts when I got back and were ok - see you in 2k miles for the fine tune.

Jon.

Tony also spotted that both my front alloys (Fondmetal 6500’s Linky) were missing the 'centre spacer' (not sure the technical term - circular green clip that fits in the wheel centre) back ones labelled 'PA 60.1 67.1'.  If anyone has any idea where I can get these from it would be appreciated.

you mean the hubcentric rings /spigot rings?

as usual eBay has them!

as usual ebay has them!

Ah so that is what they are called 'spigot rings'! I found someone on eBay @ £18.99 each which seems quite expensive? Does this sound about right?

as usual ebay has them!

Ah so that is what they are called 'spigot rings'! I found someone on eBay @ £18.99 each which seems quite expensive? Does this sound about right?

Glad things are all ok :D it was a nice geometry recovery to work on. The rings are only plastic £18.99 each must include the wheel as well :D contact a local wheel supplier i'm sure the # on the rings identify the type and size.

note to all.....once again somone has gone from pillar to post with a vibration problem, the hole in the centre of the wheel is "cosmetic" and must not be used as a dye mount on the balancer machine.....After John today i had a member travel to me from "Wales" i'm in Watford... the problem was the same, the solution was the same and the phone call later was the same as Johns post, "sorted".

Regarding Spiggot Rings I've had contrasting advice about them. Some people have said they are vitial because they help centralise the wheel on the hub and others have said to forget them and they cause more harm then good!

Since the Lexus is 5-stud the advice I got from another tyre place was that its not really need and should only be put on if you can feel vibrations. My car is currently handling and driving like a dream! Had a small vibration probelm which was fixed by wheel balancing (FL 15gms out, FR 15gms out)

AFAIK - GALLA4, ALTEZZASCOT and Myself all have/had the same wheels and none of us put the spiggot rings on.

Regarding Spiggot Rings I've had contrasting advice about them. Some people have said they are vitial because they help centralise the wheel on the hub and others have said to forget them and they cause more harm then good!

Since the Lexus is 5-stud the advice I got from another tyre place was that its not really need and should only be put on if you can feel vibrations. My car is currently handling and driving like a dream! Had a small vibration probelm which was fixed by wheel balancing (FL 15gms out, FR 15gms out)

AFAIK - GALLA4, ALTEZZASCOT and Myself all have/had the same wheels and none of us put the spiggot rings on.

The "rings" only apply to after market universal wheels, the ring size can be customized for a clinical fit so that the wheel can fit most 5 stud cars. the ring is "Vitial" and here is why

The wheel nut has a 45 degree "male" taper that locates within a 45 degree "female" taper, as the nut closes on the wheel without the ring the wheel can "offset". # two nut now has the "opportunity" to tighten at 43 degrees and 47 degrees respectively, the offset will become amplified with nuts three four and five. The full torque on the wheel nut with a ratio of 45/45 rests only on nut # one, now a simple bump can move the wheel, relax the torque and the wheel will become loose.

• 2 years later...

Hi all, new to this forum.

I have experienced a similar problem to what is being described here. It developed over time and the vibration got to bad, it was almost dangerous to drive at speed, particularly on motorways. It only happened between 60 - 70 mph.

Soonafter buying my LS from a previous owner, I needed three tyres replacing. However, the front offside was still from the previous owner (who I later discovered always brought part-worns to save money).

Soon after the new tyres, the car started vibrating at speed and gradually got worse. I had my mechanic balance the wheels, align the tyres, check ball joints but the problem persisted. As a final attempt, we decided to swap the front and rear tyres around. After taking off the front offside, it was apparent that the part-worn tyre had worn unevenly towards the insides (I dont know if the Lexus caused the problem or they wore unevenly on the previous car).

We guessed that the tyre was wobbling due to the funny wear and sending the vibration back up the wheel.

Having placed the worn on the rear, the vibration stopped immediately, (only started to vibrate occasionally under braking at high speeds - EG: coming off a motorway). In the end, replaced the tyre and the problem was solved.

Thank you to all who posted in this thread, this thread was a massive help is diagnosing the problem. Glad to say the LS lives for another day.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links