Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Newbie Thinking Of Buying A Is

hi guys,

im currently looking to buy myself a diff motor and i really like the idea of an lexus IS( dunno which model yet tho.)

anyone please tell me the good and bad poitns of ownership and what are the running costs like,fuel,ins ,parts,services

thanks very much

hi guys,

im currently looking to buy myself a diff motor and i really like the idea of an lexus IS( dunno which model yet tho.)

anyone please tell me the good and bad poitns of ownership and what are the running costs like,fuel,ins ,parts,services

thanks very much

Buy one !! I've got an IS200 SE - very nice :D Half leather seats with electric everything.. :D

They do consume a fair bit of fuel (I hate the mpg needle which lowers everytime I press the accelerator) it makes me paranoid !! It was quite a tear-jerker when I first bought the car, but I did come from a diesel.

You get loads for yer money compared to other camparable models (Beemers, Audis, Mercs.....)

Very reliable (Japanese)

Not particularly fast - more of a cruising car.

The wheels are a brilliant design, easy to keep clean - but a real pain in the arse for corrosion although you can get them refurbished. Had mine done for £45 per wheel.

I think that's my list of pro's and con's . Let's see if others have different opinions.

hi guys,

thanks very much

Buy one !! I've got an IS200 SE - very nice :D Half leather seats with electric everything.. :D

They do consume a fair bit of fuel (I hate the mpg needle which lowers everytime I press the accelerator) it makes me paranoid !! It was quite a tear-jerker when I first bought the car, but I did come from a diesel.

You get loads for yer money compared to other camparable models (Beemers, Audis, Mercs.....)

Very reliable (Japanese)

Not particularly fast - more of a cruising car.

The wheels are a brilliant design, easy to keep clean - but a real pain in the arse for corrosion although you can get them refurbished. Had mine done for £45 per wheel.

I think that's my list of pro's and con's . Let's see if others have different opinions.

brill mate just what i was after

im also coming from a diesel but i expect a shock at its thirst.

looking around the site here some awsome looking cars

brill mate just what i was after

im also coming from a diesel but i expect a shock at its thirst.

looking around the site here some awsome looking cars

No probs. They are b*****dy nice looking cars - I love the way the lines on the side of the car all meet exactly at the top corner of the boot, it makes it a real eye catcher. I also get the impression that they are already kitted out, so you don't have to spend anymore money in that direction (if you don't want to that is :D )

One other small down side is that the bonnets do get stone chipped. I'm not sure if it's the design or what, but if you can put up with that then go buy one.

I think they do approx 28.9 mpg (just for the record - something to compare to yer diesel).

Just one word - quality

As a result there are no real 'troublespots'

Things to check though :

alloys, which if your buying from a franchised dealer should be sorted before it hits the forecourt.

Maybe worth taking a CD with you to ensure the CD autochanger works (some get an error3 message)

Check for even front tyre wear (full lock and check the tread) then make they haven't swapped front with back :)

You won't regret buying a Lexus.

Reliable and not that expensive to run, dealer servicing is a bit steep but then that's to be expected.

Parts are easy to get and your local garage can do most jobs. As for mileage there a few threads on here on that topic, MPG ranges from about 20 to 30+ depending on how you drive.

Welcome to LOC mate.

I've had mine for 3 years now, done 60k hasn't missed a beat. The only thing I've had changed were the alloys and they wern't that bad. I've seem some really bad IS alloys in car parks etc.

I wouldn't say it's massively expensive to run, servicing can be but if you join gold you save $$$.

And from the wealth of info on here you can save yourself on the servicing by supplying own oil, plugs etc, changing the filters yerself.

You'll get about 400 miles out of a tank which costs about £50. I've a mate who has a Vectra 1.8 (new shape and it's sooo slow) and his car does the same miles in the tank for the same cash so who's complaining!!!!

I coached a youth football team, and the lads said my car was great, and a couple of lads in the street stop and say how nice it is when i'm out washing it.

Don't get that with many cars in its class.

I wish I could get 400miles from a tank. I reckon 24/25 mpg - but mainly urban.

Can be frustratingly slow from standing against kids in golf tdi etc, but on the other hand I held off a TT well into 3 figures.

Mechanically - the best - and I ran a fleet, maybe only Honda compared.

Too many of other cars on the roads like BMW - everyone seems to have one.

Glad I bought mine instead of 323.

I don't think the mpg is that bad :) , it is after all a heavy well built car, reckon I'm averaging about 30mpg ish but my commute does involve a lot of dual carrigeways. Around town is when it will probably upset you most.

IMO its worth trying to find one with either the TTE or the aero kit, both give the car a sportier stance.

Some people can't get on with the gear box, admittedly 1st to 2nd can be notchy when the oils cold, it wont feel as slick as most FWD cars, but if you don't rush the changes then its B)

get out there and have a test drive, I also drove an IS 300, just didn't want to overlook it it before I bought mine, just still not sure an auto is for me

You'll get about 400 miles out of a tank which costs about £50.

I get 250 miles per tank of Optimax - erk :blink:

Go for a test drive in a IS300 (if you don't want a manual) - you'll be convinced then :driving:

There are no major issues to look out for.

The fuel is quite a big hit, bare in mind you're going to want to put Branded fuel in, rather than untreated super market stuff.

I average about 110-120 miles on £20 of Texaco Standard and about 100 miles on £20 of Texaco super.

Servicing is expensive when going to main dealers, if you buying second hand and its over 3 years old, get it done privately.

Parts aren't a worry, they generally don't go wrong, if they do, generally about the same price as any other car.

Beleive me, I'm skint every month after paying out on the loan and insurance, but when you drive down the road and watch the heads turn you will grin from ear to ear!

Await the perfect strangers telling you how nice your car is !

You won't look back ! - You may a week before pay day tho!

The performance is ok, I'm only 20 so there's not a lot I can get thats any quicker, but I won't be happy until i've got 300 horses under the bonnet.

Don't bother with the S model if you can afford better, go for a sport, tints and polished stuff etc.

Get a black one!

I've got an IS200 SE auto, foot down it'll give 90 miles out of £20, bout 80 on Shell Optimax. Good points include image...a lot of people have said "think you're too good for a Beemer?!" The interior, while receivin a slating from a lot of ppl on here, attracts compliments from all passengers. Kit levels are extremely high, don't bother with an S as you'll miss the toys, it's the kit that makes BMW drivers envious. I think the only downers are fuel consumption and performance...don't have any traffic light grand prix's..as i found out just about any civic will whoop you to about 50-60. Oh yeah, my mate's BMW 523 is faster, crackin 60 in 8 secs, and to my dismay, gives him 160 miles outta £20 all day long no matter how he drives. Also i've found the low-pro's on the 17's a bit of a pain, i tend to get a new puncture every month!! (and it's about £110 for a decent tyre). All in all, good fun.

Depends what you have owned before?

Going from a skyline to an IS will be different going from a ford focus for example.

Is performance more priority over luxury?

Do you plan to modify it in anyway (future?)?

Is insurance an issue?

Sorry, as I'm coming from an altezza point of view I would suggest thinking about an altezza........

thanks guys all sounds great

very friendly site bang on

errr well its down to an IS or  TT i think ill let the bank manager decide now lol

hi mate,

i spotted this on e-bay, you may want to check this out before you definatly set ur heart on a Audi TT:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...4559220533&rd=1

As far as I know, I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong.

The Lexus IS200 is a 6 pot 153 BHP

The Toyota Altezza is a 4 POT pushing around 210 BHP.

The UK IS200's generally have a higer spec, although there are tezza's out there with all the toys.

I have an IS200 Sport, but given the choise I'd have an RS200/Altezza.

The joys of being 20.......Insurance !

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links