Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Paint Or Not To Paint, That Is The Question?

Hi guys firstly I hope that any LOC members living in London are ok and not caught up in the Bombings. I was about 4 stations away from were the first bomb went off, too close for comfort. :ohmy:

I’ve put this post up to get a view from some of you experienced guys. I have just been to see a Black, IS200 SE, Y reg, 52,000 on the clock going for £8k. It’s got a scratch on the driver door about 7 inches long and a few on the front bumper. Im considering purchasing it and then getting the door and bumper resprayed by a trusted local fella.

Q1 what do you guys think, buy it and respary or not?

Q2 will Lexus sell me the paint and what do you reckon the cost of paint is?

Any other advice you can give me on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

EZZ

Welcome EZZ :D

Black, when it's looking good, is THE most attractive colour for an IS. I'm on my second one.....

1) If you are happy with the condition of the vehicle and price, yes and scratches can be repaired

2) Cheaper to buy the paint from a bodyshop, or even Halfords. If it Astral Black :question: the paint code is 020. The paint code can be found on the chassis number

Yes its Astral Black, im just worried that there will be a noticible difference if i get just the door and the Front bumper painted.

Anyone have any experience in getting an Astral Black painted.

ive had various different panels done on mine mate and you cant notice any difference at all. just make sure you use a good bodyshop.

Yes its Astral Black, im just worried that there will be a noticible difference if i get just the door and the Front bumper painted.

Black is the easiest colour to match up.

I've just done a few stonechips on my bonnet and will get some photos posted up after I've polished it up.

Black is the easiest colour to match up.

I've just done a few stonechips on my bonnet and will get some photos posted up after I've polished it up.

Just to say ditto to what Mr Morse has put. I had a man from Flying Colours do a couple of paint chips on my Platinum Ice IS200 - he said it was the biggest pain in the arse he has done, and next time make sure I buy a BLACK car as they ARE the easiest to colour match. I've had three black cars in the past, and they are easy to even just touch in paint chips, so go ahead. You'll have no probs. :D

Looks like i may be making an offer for the car then. :)

ive been warned about the cleaning and ive still got plenty of hair on my head :D so no worries abvout the scalp burn, im only 24.

Can anybody name any paint brands or should i leave it to the garage to get some. i was thinking of getting it from Lexus just to be sure, will they sell it to any old joe, what do you guys think?

Looks like i may be making an offer for the car then. :)

ive been warned about the cleaning and ive still got plenty of hair on my head :D so no worries abvout the scalp burn, im only 24.

Can anybody name any paint brands or should i leave it to the garage to get some. i was thinking of getting it from Lexus just to be sure, will they sell it to any old joe, what do you guys think?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. All the garage will do is look at your VIN plate, match it to a 3 symbol code, and flick through a kinda directory to find how many mils of each colour they need to mix to get your colour. If they've been in the business long enough, they'll know what they're doing. Just make sure that the garage are willing to supply a warranty on their paint repairs, otherwise steer well clear.

However, I suppose it wouldn't do any harm if you contacted Lexus and asked them about the supply of paint.

BTW, don't worry about the cleaning - when you see the finished result with black, you'll want to keep it clean all the time anyway ;)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links