Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Big Brake Kits....

Monster-Mat

I seen a kit in the POTN catalogue although I can't remember the brand name. All you do is give them a few measurements of points that your calipers and discs are at and they will custom make a big brake conversion to fit your car!

They will give you new discs with the option of drilled/grooved or both and will they will also custom make a bracket to relocate your standard caliper.

From what I can remember they weren't too expensive either!!!

thats a perfect example of a non matched brake set up, and I wouldnt trust it if being used at the limits. :excl:

thats a bling brake set up.....thats could make the braking characturistics of a car become lethal!!

Mat,

don't forget i have aftermarket set, Brembo/Axxis ceramic pads etc...

i get alot of fading.. constant braking from high speed.

i'm sure some better pads is all i need... not really concerned about the BBKs, though Alex has made a nice bracket using the Nissain 4pot calipers for our car

Mat,

don't forget i have aftermarket set, Brembo/Axxis ceramic pads etc...

i get alot of fading.. constant braking from high speed.

i'm sure some better pads is all i need... not really concerned about the BBKs, though Alex has made a nice bracket using the Nissain 4pot calipers for our car

fading is the brake pads

yup...

not sure which ones to go for :unsure:

steer clear of EBC and all them so called wonder pads.

pagid, mintex are the ones to use, thats whats used OEM.....Axxis are ok...i currently have them on the monster but find like you they cant handle heavy use over prolonged periods, however i have no problems in MK :driving:

I seen a kit in the POTN catalogue although I can't remember the brand name. All you do is give them a few measurements of points that your calipers and discs are at and they will custom make a big brake conversion to fit your car!

They will give you new discs with the option of drilled/grooved or both and will they will also custom make a bracket to relocate your standard caliper.

thats a perfect example of a non matched brake set up, and I wouldnt trust it if being used at the limits. :excl:

thats a bling brake set up.....thats could make the braking characturistics of a car become lethal!!

Very true but surely with any big brake kit you would have to setup the front/rear bias all over again for the simple fact that the discs are bigger.

The product I am talking about does the exact same job as most of the major BBK manufacturers, only they are able to do it for any car. This would have been a good thing I thought, as you know yourself, that parts and upgrades from major manufacturers are not always listed for the IS, and can be hard to find.

The other advantage of this is that you still use your standard caliper which is already matched/suited to your servo etc.

On another point. I read a mention in this thread of bigger brakes from a supra/IS430 etc etc. Does anybody know if bigger brakes from the likes of these cars will fit and what mods if any would need done? I would still prefer to use bigger brakes from a standard Toyota than buy some after market ones unless I was gonna spend a lot of money to get the best setup.

Very true but surely with any big brake kit you would have to setup the front/rear bias all over again for the simple fact that the discs are bigger.

The product I am talking about does the exact same job as most of the major BBK manufacturers, only they are able to do it for any car. This would have been a good thing I thought, as you know yourself, that parts and upgrades from major manufacturers are not always listed for the IS, and can be hard to find.

The other advantage of this is that you still use your standard caliper which is already matched/suited to your servo etc.

On another point. I read a mention in this thread of bigger brakes from a supra/IS430 etc etc. Does anybody know if bigger brakes from the likes of these cars will fit and what mods if any would need done? I would still prefer to use bigger brakes from a standard Toyota than buy some after market ones unless I was gonna spend a lot of money to get the best setup.

your missing the point.....

you need to read what ive already written.

brake sizing is even thrown of , even if you use the same caliper but space it out as friction and clamping forces are different.

a matched brake set is when the piston surface is calculated to give x pressure at x imput and be balanced front / rear.

a company that just makes up brackets isnt matching the brake bias front / rear are they.

as a point, there are quite a few companies providing upgrade kits.

AP Racing, i know, as myself and zee persoanlly used our cars as test muels

STOPTECH, the system i use

Alcon, as used on the IS430

MOV-IT, again my car was personally used as a test mule

TRD

ENDLESS

project Mu

biot

zeal

grex

night pager

brembo

thats all proper brake upgrades...as in disc and caliper conversions........

then there are the built custom conversions, like the supra calipers, or the better use of th ls400 calipers, all what ive already said.....

read all the topic and any other questions im happy to answer.......but do not go to one of these "oh yeah mate we can knock u one up" places

I did read your post correctly and I am agreeing with you about the disc size and different braking forces as that is the whole idea with bigger discs.

The bit I said about the servo is simply that if a different caliper is connected with a standard servo unit, the caliper and/or servo unit may not work to its full potential (due to different pressures needed or different grades of brake fluid needed etc) as they may not be made to match. Therefore I would prefer to use my standard caliper with my standard servo as well as getting the brake bias setup to compensate for the bigger discs. This is cheaper too. :blush:

"Very true but surely with any big brake kit you would have to setup the front/rear bias all over again for the simple fact that the discs are bigger."

I asked about the supra/IS430 setup because I would rather use those than this particular kit I mentioned.

I will certainly have a look at some of the brands you listed there as I will need some better stoppers after engine rebuild :D

Didn't realise there were that many for the IS :blink:

Whats wrong with banging UK spec supra brakes on?? Thats what is going on my aristo.

because to fit supra brakes requires modifications.

to fit much larger LS400 aluminum 4 pot calipers requires the same amount of modification, but more braking effort can be applied for the same brake imput given :)

UH?? What modifications need doing? The supra UK discs and calipers bolt straight onto the GS. Is the IS and LS different to the GS brakewise then? Will these LS ali brakes go straight onto the GS? If so what do they cost for a set of calipers, rotors and pads?

yup...

not sure which ones to go for :unsure:

steer clear of EBC and all them so called wonder pads.

pagid, mintex are the ones to use, thats whats used OEM.....Axxis are ok...i currently have them on the monster but find like you they cant handle heavy use over prolonged periods, however i have no problems in MK :driving:

Porterfields are good pads on the J-spec supe brakes which are the same brakes as the GS. I am not sure if racing hawks street and track pads fit on these brakes though.

Whats wrong with banging UK spec supra brakes on?? Thats what is going on my aristo.

because to fit supra brakes requires modifications.

to fit much larger LS400 aluminum 4 pot calipers requires the same amount of modification, but more braking effort can be applied for the same brake imput given :)

UH?? What modifications need doing? The supra UK discs and calipers bolt straight onto the GS. Is the IS and LS different to the GS brakewise then? Will these LS ali brakes go straight onto the GS? If so what do they cost for a set of calipers, rotors and pads?

mk 1 or 2

on the is200 the LS400 caliper needs one of the mounting lugs cutting of and re-welding due to the spacing of the mounting lugs

regarding the supra calipers, the mounting holes are slighty further apart so a small sleeve needs fitting before there bolted up

I run standard Calipers, on RDA Slotted discs and EBC Greenstuff pads for t he track, and they work great! i mean, im sure they can be improved upon, but i feel no fade what soever.

That big Alcon kit is from a guy here in Sydney, yeah, Its more for the bling factor. It does look cool, and if I had the grover, id probably buyem too hehe.

From my understating, that would not work so well with the standard brake master cylinder?

Also Matt, is that an FD RX7 4 Piston Caliper? Or looks like S15/R33 Skyline or Z32 300zx!

There is a lot to be said for a decent set of pads with an OEM caliper set up.

Like Matt said - it is a matter of getting the right pad to eliminate fade.

Friend of mine had some brembo 8 pots on his road legal F1 car - soon to be complete. It needs them though :ph34r:

I can't direct link the photos but have a look at the URL.....

These were taken 12 months ago - he should be doing the first tests in the new year :shifty:

http://www.mark-wadsworth.fotopic.net/c310857.html

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links