Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Parking Ticket - Loading Bays

derekyau

Hi all,

Was considering a vent-your-spleen post, but may as well let it be...

Basically, today on the way to work, I decided to find a HSBC to pay off a credit card. I was passing through un-familiar territory (Catford), and saw a 20-minute stop box. It was a red-route stop box, no stopping unless between 10am-4pm for maximum 20 minutes loading. It was roughly 2:15pm.

I parked there, as I normally would in places like Tooting to pay my Congestion Charge.

Crossing the road, I saw that there was hugh queues at the bank, coming outside of the door, so I though I wouldn't bother, and to find another branch.

Crossing back over the road I saw 2 uniformed traffic wardens (or policemen?), writing a ticket!!!

We caught each other attention and I was asked if it was my car.

The rest of the conversation was mainly that as I was not loading/unloading, I was parked illegally. They said they waited 3 minutes (and wrote on the ticket 14:17 - 14:20) to see if the car was loading/unloading. I had already said that I was just popping into the bank, for which I didn't bother in the end due to the queues. They said this basically warrants an instant ticket anyway as I wasn't loading/unloading.

:angry:

Sods law has it, I guess i'm in the wrong... Fine of £100, or £50 if paid in 14 days.

But basically, just a warning to everyone out there - Loading bays are apprantly for loading only... Depends how they define "loading" really though IMHO.

How are we as motorists meant to keep up with all the detail of every road traffic law? :ph34r: :tsktsk:

D.

Sorry to hear of your hassle Del, but they have you by the short & curlies - Loading means loading, ie taking goods out of a vehicle and delivering them to a nearby business or property. It doesn't mean unloading yourself out of the Lex to go to the bank....

A bit mean of them to ticket you after just 3 minutes (I thought the guidelines say 5 mins :question: ) but these sorry people are up for bonuses the more tickets they issue :tsktsk:

really hope that you didnt wait for them to finish writing the ticket out and then put it on your car :question:

i say that because even if they are writing the ticket you can still drive away and they cant do anything about it, but once it has been placed on the car - tough :angry:

Rules have changed slightly now Rob,they take a pic b4 slapping a ticket on your w/screen :ph34r:

See, not everyone knows this (I know that in Central London they got digi-cams, but not outside of central). :duh:

I was tempted to just drive off, but the shock them writing a ticket caught me offguard. They were uniformed, and at first I thought they were policemen. :geek:

Also, I thought they were just making a note of the time my car was there (i.e. timing my 20 minutes...)

:yack:

really hope that you didnt wait for them to finish writing the ticket out and then put it on your car  :question:

i say that because even if they are writing the ticket you can still drive away and they cant do anything about it, but once it has been placed on the car - tough  :angry:

Nope, not any more, as soon as the pen hits the paper, you're had I'm afraid

really hope that you didnt wait for them to finish writing the ticket out and then put it on your car  :question:

i say that because even if they are writing the ticket you can still drive away and they cant do anything about it, but once it has been placed on the car - tough  :angry:

Nope, not any more, as soon as the pen hits the paper, you're had I'm afraid

... i've had mixed opinions about this in fact... Some people say until its stuck to your windscreen, you can leg it... I would have thought they simply trace it all back via your Reg plate...

Oh well.

Fifty quid...

5,000 penny sweets... a meal out somewhere nice... twenty odd pints of lager!!! GGGRrrrr. :tsktsk:

• 3 months later...

Loading and unloading

If a Parking Attendant considers that you may be loading or unloading he/she will observe the vehicle for a short period (20 minutes). If it appears to the Parking Attendant that the driver is not loading or unloading – e.g. the driver can be identified as being in a café having a cup of tea, or in a shop buying small items (paper, cigarettes etc.), a Penalty Charge Notice will be issued immediately. Drivers frequently park illegally just to pop into a shop etc. They are slowing down other traffic and increasing delivery times and costs for other business. Twenty pence in a meter can avoid a parking ticket. Wherever possible the City Council is putting in more short stay meters to assist drivers to park legally.

Remember – you have 20 minutes to load and/or unload. If you exceed this time, a Penalty Charge Notice may be issued. Look at the signs and the road markings to determine if you can load or unload legally. Loading and unloading should be a continuous operation

http://www.westminster.gov.uk/transportand...ndunloading.cfm