Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Noisy Supercharger

Hi does anyone know where I can get my supercharger serviced. Its seems to have developed a ticking noise which can be heard from inside the cabin at times. Its eminating from the compressor unit exactly next to the rubber hosing where the compressor attaches to the airbox. Its definitely coming from inside the unit and is a rotating ticking sound as if it needs greasing.

The compressor was new from feb this year and has done 2000 miles. The noise seems to have started when i took the airbox off (by rotating it 90 degrees) to change the spark plugs. I'm sure nothing fell in. Anyone with this problem.

I know the supercharger makes some noise when idle but this is definitely something else!

Hi does anyone know where I can get my supercharger serviced. Its seems to have developed a ticking noise which can be heard from inside the cabin at times. Its eminating from the compressor unit exactly next to the rubber hosing where the compressor attaches to the airbox. Its definitely coming from inside the unit and is a rotating ticking sound as if it needs greasing.

The compressor was new from feb this year and has done 2000 miles. The noise seems to have started when i took the airbox off (by rotating it 90 degrees) to change the spark plugs. I'm sure nothing fell in. Anyone with this problem.

I know the supercharger makes some noise when idle but this is definitely something else!

check your belt tention mate,if its slack it will make a noise,i put a 790 mm belt on mine,much better,chech all jubillee clips too.

will,

Did you try the things I mentioned to you ?

After 2000 miles you should not need it serviced.

Have you taken it back to who fitted it ?

Also I suggest you contact Tdi who may be able to assist (I believe they supplied the kit)

I haven't done any other mods to the charger. I didn't think it was the belt as the noise is coming from inside the charger. Can the belt cause noise to come from within the unit? Will try some greasing!

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I haven't done any other mods to the charger. I didn't think it was the belt as the noise is coming from inside the charger. Can the belt cause noise to come from within the unit? Will try some greasing!

Will is the spring on the bypass valve ? and what sort of spring do you have ? old or new sort ? post pic if you can.

Will is the spring on the bypass valve ? and what sort of spring do you have ? old or new sort ? post pic if you can.

If its a sealed unit then you shouldn't have to grease. Have you tried removing the belt and rotating by hand to see if there is a point of friction? without seeing the inside construction i couldn't say whether it would be a rotating assembly but if it is its not good

Someone mentioned a bypass valve if thats in there then that should open at certain pressures so you should be able to hear if its that by revving the engine and listening

if something fell in u would know about it straight away. The TTE supercharger uses an eaton roots blower, which is of fixed displacement ( in one revolution it displaces a set amount of volume regardless of rotational speed) the lobes are interconnecting and have only a small gap between each lobeso anything in there would cause a huge amount of damage and scoring to the lobes and casing.

According to Eaton it is possible to experience some noise from the gearing mechanism located at the front of the nose extension, and this should go away once the revs are raised slightly, if it fails to do so then I suggest returning the supercharger assy to who u bought it from.

At a really basic level I think the old style spring is the type you would see in a ballpoint pen if you take it to bits, and the new spring is the style you would see on a mousetrap - does that sound about right?

A lot of people have success running both springs, but I think I read on here it puts extra strain onto the throttle assembly?

Mark @ Tdi can you help further on this matter?

I PM'd you on this last week Will.

It depends on the noise. The only noises we have come across so far have been from the belt or tensioner. The easiest way to tell is to squirt some fluid onto the inside of the belt as the engine is running. If the noise changes you have the answer.

PM me if you need any more advise please

May be worth calling Eaton who developed the M62 unit as used in the TTE kit - 01344-846707 to see if they have any local companies to you who deal with the Eaton units?

Also, this is OT but I was under the impression that the oil in the Eaton superchargers was only rated for 100,000 miles and that the unit would require servicing at that point?

Like Mark says above, mine used to be very ratchety at times which a lot of members on here noticed, Andy Hart was the last one to hear it, but a squirt of belt slip in the point Mark says changed it completely and she quietened down.

if it's the spring on the bypass, you should feel a good loss of power accelerating.

i have the new spring but it slided to the side in the beginning and caused the bypass not to close fast enough...but the sound is ace... :D

This is gonna be hard as I'm ******....

But.....

If you stand at the front of the engine bay looking at the supercharger, you see the pulley at the front of the unit, then work back say 10 inches past the fins on the supercharger unit, and you will see the bypass unit which has a cable connected going off to the back of the engine bay and then across to the throttle assembly....

Now, where the cable from the throttle assembly connects to the supercharger that is the bypass bit, and you should be able to flick this towards you and it will snap shut.

On this, you will either see a biro type spring pulling it shut or the newer mouse trap style spring shutting it...

A pic would be a lot easier but I don't have access from where I am now to get you one I'm afraid.

But essentially just work your way back past the fins and you are there straight away, it's just in front of where the piping connects to the TTE airbox too off the supercharger, right on top of it where you can see it :)

One time I did have a strange noise after i upgrade my hoses. The noise was a ticking sound that I could hear clearly in the carbint. Later I found out it was the pipe that goes into the throttle body was rubbing against the A/c or the pully near by. By re-adusting the piping a little bit, the noise was goine. So, maybe you should check your piping first.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links