Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I Installed Kenwood Ddx7025 In My Is200

Hello all,

I replaced my broken Lexus radio (ERR3) with a Kenwood DDX7025.

A few months ago I was wondering if it could be done and if there were any complications. Since I now know the answer, I thought I'll share my expericience with you guys and girls.

I had the Lexus amp. in my car as well. I left that one in my car. I used the original audio connector to hook up the ISO connector.

I replaced all speakers. They are from Hertz (Italian brand). Not expensive and don't sound that bad/good (average) for the money (paid 100 euros for the 6x9"s, 240 euro the front speakers + tweaters and cross-overs). One day I'll replace them with some Focal (Utopia?) ones.

I didn't install an extra amp, but I can understand that someone will prefere to do so for the extra bite. I must admit that my factory setup had better sound.

I also bought the satellite navigation unit. The satellite receiver hides under my dash. The satnav unit hides under the passenger seat (=right side in my dutch car). At first I was very disappointed with the whole sat nav. It was not accurate, didn't knew where it was half of the time and didn't show a close up as it should do. This was because I didn't connect the tacho (speed) signal to my Lex. After I did that, it's great! It shows nice details of the road situation ahead. Suddenly it also displayed the street/highway name of where I was driving. For those who want to know: behind the dashboard there's a connector with a blue and white wire. That's your tacho/speed signal. It took me a while to find it but it made all the difference.

Here's a picture of the Kenwood in my car. Note that I've tilted the screen.

DDX7025_install1.jpg

I hope you'll find this usefull. Feel free to ask. Thank you for all the info about how to disassemble my Lexus. I couldn't do without it!

Things to do: install better speakers some day and an external amp.

Regards,

Sander

Looks good. Had play with these when i was at CES convention in las vegas... very easy to use!

On note of speakers, spend more time on improving speaker install in the front, you don't sit in the back so create the best sound stage for yourself upfront... remember its 30% what you use 70% how its installed and setup ;) Focal Utopia's are too bad, however there new Beryiluim set @ £2500 aren't too shabby either lol

It looks really good. :) thanks for ur picture. i might do that in the future :) i will let u know when i do mine :) at least its way better than tomtomgo :)

:D

do u have a picture with the whole dashboard? a fullsize picture of how it looks like?

I used the original audio connector to hook up the ISO connector.

I was just wondering if you could elaborate on this bit. Did you cut off the old connector and solder an ISO connector on or did you somehow make an adapter. Pics from behind the unit would be good if youve got them, i wouldn't want you take the unit out again just for me :hehe:

Also have you still used the OEM amp behind the glove box?

I am after a similar sort of setup but was considering re wiring the whole car as I thought the OEM amp would not work with an aftermarket stereo.

Cheers

Lee.

It looks really good. :) thanks for ur picture. i might do that in the future :) i will let u know when i do mine :) at least its way better than tomtomgo :)

:D

do u have a picture with the whole dashboard? a fullsize picture of how it looks like?

Some more pictures (not the best quality).

DDX7025_install2.jpg

Note the lizard in the dash tray at the top :)

From the side:

DDX7025_install3.jpg

I used the original audio connector to hook up the ISO connector.

I was just wondering if you could elaborate on this bit. Did you cut off the old connector and solder an ISO connector on or did you somehow make an adapter. Pics from behind the unit would be good if youve got them, i wouldn't want you take the unit out again just for me :hehe:

Also have you still used the OEM amp behind the glove box?

I am after a similar sort of setup but was considering re wiring the whole car as I thought the OEM amp would not work with an aftermarket stereo.

Cheers

Lee.

Unfortunatly I don't have a picture of the connector, but I'll try to describe it for you. The installation was a very tied fit because of all the cables, backup Battery boxes and the antenne splitter that had to be fitted behind the unit. So I hope you don't mind that I rather do not get it out :hehe:

About the audio connector:

I bought ISO connectors (there are 2, one for power, one for the speakers) with just wires coming out of the back.

I just measured where the +12V constant, 12V ACC, the "lights on" signal and the ground where on the Lexus connector. I didn't remove the old connector but attached the wires to the original connector wires. This way, if I one day decide to buy the new IS250 (whisfull thinking) I'm able to slide the original unit back in.

I put all new wires in for the speakers and connected them to the ISO connector for the speakers.

About the amp. Well, here's where I can use some advice.

You're right, it can't be used (at least I don't know how and decided to remove everything)

I left it in the car, but it's not used at all. At first I removed it (saves weight and power :P), but I noticed that I no longer had power on the Kenwood. Since I didn't want to cut more wires (or was just to scared to mess it up and see my Lex burst into flames :nuke: ), I decided to choose the easy way out: reinstall the amp.

Anyone knows which wires I can use instead?

Good luck!

Looks good. Had play with these when i was at CES convention in las vegas... very easy to use!

On note of speakers, spend more time on improving speaker install in the front, you don't sit in the back so create the best sound stage for yourself upfront... remember its 30% what you use 70% how its installed and setup ;) Focal Utopia's are too bad, however there new Beryiluim set @ £2500 aren't too shabby either lol

Hi,

Do you mean that the Focal Utopia's are not that good for the money?

Can you recommend me a front speakerset for about 500 euro's?

My dealer told me not to buy a set of Focal speakers because they would sound a bit nasal and sold me the Hertz set because he claimed that these are better. But I keep wondering if those Hertz's are indeed better or was he just earning more money on the set he sold me.

I'm still not impressed with the Hertz's. Couldn't find a decent review either.

Fortunatly the Kenwood has an equalizer and with that toy I was able to really make a difference: from horrible to "not bad". The reason why I'm looking at the Focal speakers is because I have some wonderfull JM Lab sound systems at home which have Focal speakers in them. I love those JM Lab's. Whished I could mount these in my car (hmm, I don't need the rear seats since I don't have children... :winky:)

• 3 weeks later...
ah its oem look a like :) btw where did u get the dubbel din frame ? is it available in the netherlands?

:)

Hi Alantje,

Thanks.

Sorry for the delay. I just returned from a trip to Canada today where I was "forced" to drive a Pontiac GrandAm V6. :yack: A piece of junk compared to the IS200. It made me love my car even more.

The plate:

I bought it on eBay.uk:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lexus-IS200-IS300-St...1QQcmdZViewItem

I think the brand is "Autoleads". It fits 1 or 2 single DIN units or double DIN unit.

Don't know if the price is right, but at least I had a good experience with this guy.

Quality is ok, not the best maybe.

Good luck!

Hi apielexus,

Thanks for ur information! i will let u know when i put that thing in my car :).

i just ordered a Infinity Basslink active subwoofer :)

next thing to do is a MB quart Reference compo in front and Helix 400MKII amp :)

i will keep u updated :)

Hi apielexus,

Thanks for ur information! i will let u know when i put that thing in my car :).

i just ordered a Infinity Basslink active subwoofer :)

next thing to do is a MB quart Reference compo in front and Helix 400MKII amp :)

i will keep u updated :)

Thanks!

I really would like to know how this setup sounds! especially the subwoofer.

I'm thinking about upgrading to a better amp and better speakers.

Even my rental Pontiac had more deep bass than my current audio system, which was the only thing better in that car compared to the Lexus.

hi, thats a nice unit. does the screen fold away or is able to be hidden from thieves when not used?

Unfortunatuly NO! It doesn't fold away. Nor is the screen detachable.

It does have a security "code" option, so for a thief it'll be useless after it has been removed from the Battery. But: that's no use for you if you come to your car and see a big hole in your dash. :angry: Maybe the (switchable) red security LED will scare them off :P

On the good side: It's difficult to see that it is a non standard Lexus part. I hope that the junks will leave it alone for that reason. I am thinking if it might be possible to replace the "Kenwood" logo with a "Lexus" logo, that way it's even less obvious that it is a non standard Lexus part.

BTW: If you have tilted the screen under a certain angle and you switch off the ignition then it will stay in that position for a few seconds. After that it will retract to the 'flat' position. Very nice!

Thats the system im going to get soon. It looks the business. between that system, a sat nav and rear headrests in leather in my bus. Then the car will look a gem..

Lovely install mate...

Isnt there a more updated kenwood ddx-7025 system?. ddx-7037?.

They are going for pretty cheap in Germany at the moment. €500 i think. I can get hem here in Ireland for €1100..

Sean

• 3 weeks later...
Thats the system im going to get soon. It looks the business. between that system, a sat nav and rear headrests in leather in my bus. Then the car will look a gem..

Lovely install mate...

Isnt there a more updated kenwood ddx-7025 system?. ddx-7037?.

They are going for pretty cheap in Germany at the moment. €500 i think. I can get hem here in Ireland for €1100..

Sean

Hmm don't know. I read (from the top of my head) that the 7037 has a new +5V pre-out for an amplifier or something? Usually the only difference is the regioncode of the DVD player. If you look on epay you'll even find some units from HongKOng which are region free.

I'm still happy with this one. Still thinking about a subwoofer......

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
hey what gps hardware did you use with the Kenwood to get the sat nav working?

Can you just load any dvd based maps on the system?

Hi, There was a GPS unit supplied with the Satnav computer. It hides underneath the center console. Reception could be better, but the unit is very capable to tracking the car by the sensors and speed signal.

As far as I know the satnav computer only eats Kenwood discs and are quite expensive (about 300 euro). Fortunatly there's one supplied with the unit.

BTW: I noticed that the IS250 has a familiair looking satnav system. Not the same ofcourse, but kind of the same setup and handling.

I'm wondering if it actually is the from same manufacturer. On my DVD case it says 'Denso', the same company that made my Lexus key. It wouldn't be a surprise to me if the IS250 satnav is from Denso.

Does anyone know? I asked a sales man and he more or less admitted that it could be Denso but was unsure of not allowed to tell.