Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Houston We Have A Problem!

OK the car developed a problem the day I was driving to JAE and it just happened again this morning....

Basically the first time it happened I was at WOT in third gear with the car under heavy acceleration and it stuttered twice, lost power and basically the car felt exactly like I'd hit the rev limiter, but I was at less than 5000rpm!

It was certainly loud because Mike (Mr Morse) heard the noise from his car in front!

Now, it's done the same thing today in fifth gear between 4000 and 5000rpm (didn't see where it went!)

Basically I get the sudden loss of power as though I've hit the rev limiter and the car hesitates as it begins to build boost back up again and then starts pulling (actually just realised about the boost bit lol!)

In the three occasions this has happened no CEL's have been thrown, and I've not reset the ECU since the Scotland trip so that may be a step (but I didn't want to risk wiping the datalog in case data is stored in there even though no CEL's have been thrown....)

I'm on the original precats and the clutch is slipping, but this symptom does not seem to be the clutch, I get the popping out of the exhaust that you would get with an aftermarket exhaust when you hit the limiter and the fuel is cut..

Any ideas folks?

I think I need to check out all the pipework to see if something has worked its way loose and is losing boost, but it doesn't do this all the time, I was happily doing 130 the other night with no problems (on a track of course.......) so I'd have thought it was unlikely to be a loose connection seeing as it's intermittant but I'm open to ideas!

Thanks in advance :)

Yeah I thought maybe fuel but the car got a full service recently and they gave it the thumbs up, not sure if that is something they check though?

I did have to have a new water pump at that service...

Just weird though as for all intents and purposes it feels like the limiter is changing (I'm on the black ECU which doesn't alter rev limit)

Can anyone describe the symptoms when the precats have broken down please?

Actually mate you have made me just think of something else that is different now...

To come to JAE and this time I filled the car up with Super Unleaded from Sainsburys which is rated at 97 Octane, before the Scotland trip I'd run only Optimax for almost 20,000 miles, I have heard the the TTE SC can come across problems with standard fuel such as pinking and detonation but to be honest I don't know what that means in practice, ie how it would present itself to me when driving the car!

Maybe some crap has gotten into the fuel system and she's throwing a wobbler?

Observation from a SC newbie: ;)

Stalling + a popping sound in the exhaust makes me think it didn't get enough air (boost) while the customary full load of fuel was injected. You then get unburnt fuel in the exhaust, which may explain the exhaust pops. So I'd make sure no boost pressure is lost in the piping.

Hope you get it sorted,

Cheers,

RX-Men-8

Now that is a good point Gerhard, and you've just reminded me of something else there I need to rectify!!

My TDI air pipe is at the wrong angle since it was all reassembled not long ago and it is blocking off half of the pipe so it could well be a problem with insufficient boost - I'd better sort that sooner rather than later from the sounds of it!

Thanks Daz & Billy too, I can rmember from speaking to SteveAudioX that he ran on standard 95 RON petrol!

Cheers fellas, I'm going to try altering the fitment of the pipe first, can't do it at the minute as I'm too ****** :sick:

Fingers crossed :)

• 2 weeks later...

OK this happened again today, I kept an eye on the revs and it appeared they were increasing from 4 to 5k, although there was definitely something holding the car back, does feel like rev limiter hitting still!!

Just read some other posts and see worn spark plugs can cause a problem while the choke is on (do we have automatic choke on the IS200?)

The car had been running for around 7 minutes and was just on the bypass doing 80ish I think in fourth, changed into fifth and boom loss of power again.

Also I had just taken my foot off the brakes as a car had pulled out and was going in again so I changed to fifth and had my foot the floor - WOT.... Stivky caliper maybe? Need to change the brakes this week once I find my CC :lol:

Any more ideas please folks? Still didn't get a CEL flash up so not sure if it's worth going to the dealer as there's nothing to read!!

Thinking sparks could be a good idea as the IK20's have now done 24k of hard milage so could maybe be on their way?

Possibly thanks Gord, just thinking as this is a weird problem, that's the first time it's happened in a few weeks now!

Just wondering whether to replace them with another set of IK20's or go for the colder IK22s?

What do you reckon?

Possibly thanks Gord, just thinking as this is a weird problem, that's the first time it's happened in a few weeks now!

Just wondering whether to replace them with another set of IK20's or go for the colder IK22s?

What do you reckon?

Why dont you just try the set i have and see if the problem goes away ?

Could do Gord but the problem is that it doesn't happen very often if you know what I mean so I could end up putting 1000 miles on your plugs - or do you mean for me to buy them off you mate?

Could do Gord but the problem is that it doesn't happen very often if you know what I mean so I could end up putting 1000 miles on your plugs - or do you mean for me to buy them off you mate?

if you put the plugs in mate, and your problem goes away just get some new one's and give them back :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links