Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Water From Exhaust

monster

Just need a bit of advice or reassurring.... :huh:

The other day my mate was following me in the car and he said there was quite a bit of water coming out of my exhaust. I've noticed small amounts of water on the exhaust tip when i've got out of the car in the past, especially after coming home on the motorway but never thought twice about it. Is this a common thing? Or is there something wrong with my engine/supercharger/exhaust? :crybaby:

Any comments much appreciated!

The other day my mate was following me in the car and he said there was quite a bit of water coming out of my exhaust.  I've noticed small amounts of water on the exhaust tip when i've got out of the car in the past, especially after coming home on the motorway but never thought twice about it.  Is this a common thing? Or is there something wrong with my engine/supercharger/exhaust?  :crybaby:

its just conensation mate,dont panic.

The other day my mate was following me in the car and he said there was quite a bit of water coming out of my exhaust.  I've noticed small amounts of water on the exhaust tip when i've got out of the car in the past, especially after coming home on the motorway but never thought twice about it.  Is this a common thing? Or is there something wrong with my engine/supercharger/exhaust?  :crybaby:

Ditto what Besty put - it's just condensation. Shows you have a good clean working engine. :D

Take a look when you get behind other decent vehicles.

Ditto what Besty put - it's just condensation. Shows you have a good clean working engine. :D

Take a look when you get behind other decent vehicles.

i seen some comin out or a rover 25 :sick:

Heat convection generates the water from the air, in fact this is what rusts the exhaust and explains why most times its the rear box that needs to be replaced since its the most distant part from the engine and cannot evaporate the water inside, fact is all exhausts rust from the inside/out because of the convection.

Heat convection generates the water from the air, in fact this is what rusts the exhaust and explains why most times its the rear box that needs to be replaced since its the most distant part from the engine and cannot evaporate the water inside, fact is all exhausts rust from the inside/out because of the convection.

well put tony :driving:

well put tony :driving:

Thanks :hehe: took me about half an hour to find 'diapat.... disapt....disapat....' convection :D in the dictionary, but i got there in the end :duh:

Back in the dark ages when I was driving around in my MGB roadster the back box was inclined so the front of the box collected all the condensation, especially of course on short runs when the box didn't get hot enough to evaporate the excess water. This caused the back box to rust from the inside out, and it always rusted through at the bottom of the front plate.

Solution? Well I used to drill a small hole in the box to allow the water to drain out and it worked a treat. The only problem is getting it through the MOT, but solved that by plugging the hole :whistling: with a self tapping screw and removing it immediately after the test.