Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Who Runs Without A Spare Tyre?

aido

I just wondered who out there was running their car without a spare tyre in the wheel well?

I've not had a spare since last October when I had the suspension mods done, and at times I've not been happy with the back end as she's been flipping out all over the place, and as of Sunday Matt Cook came to see me with a spare and now the car feels a lot more composed at all speeds....

Nice to meet you and the better half Matt, thanks again mate :)

I just wondered who else on here runs without a spare tyre (and uses Tyre Weld like I've got in the boot!)

And for those of you that do, what do you reckon was better for handling? In theory traction should be better with the extra weight (unless you've took the spare out to fill the boot up with goods like Mr Ellen or replaced it with a heavy sound system!!)

Thats intersteing to know! I still have the nice corroded spare 16' inch wheel in mine :sick: Im trying to design the sound system so that there is a liftable piece so that the spare tire can still be used! Glad i kept it in there after finding this out!!!!

Jason :P

Ive always got a spare tyre, even when im not in the car im carrying a spare lol

but I agree with the IS I took the standard spare wheel out to get a puncture fixed and the car felt weird while it wasnt in there.

no spare tyre, but 100kilos of ICE didn't make it any more stable.

Take out the spare wheel and drop the coilovers few more turns... i bet you reduce roll more.

Am, I can't drop the car anymore currently unless I have the arches rolled, the tyres are already covered in brown marks where I'm assuming that they are already catching the existing arches?

I'd read somewhere, it might have been one of Tony's comments, but by dropping the car too much you screw up the geometry parallelogram / handling and it has a tendency to wander around, and from reading IS300.net a while back it seemed to be suggested that the extremely hard roll bars such as the yellow TRD's which I have can be detrimental to the ride quality with too much of a drop, as there is not sufficient roll to soak up the forces which is where the car just flips out, not sure but all I do know is that my car is dangerous at around 110 - any faster or slower and it settles down but at that speed it just seems to float wherever it wants!!!

Maybe something more fundamental is at fault here?

mine's like that too Aido, car gets thrown around all over the place, really does feel pretty dangerous! (doesn't feel like the wheels are on the road, reminds me of turbulence :blink: )Mentioned this a while ago, I was hoping the Dr might have an idea why?

I have standard sways by the way and no spare tire but lots of mdf etc.

What speed do you get that at Colin?

Yeah that sounds the same, kinda like being on a sheet of ice or something even though it's on a dry road!!!

At least it's not just me :lol:

Thrown about... do u mean rocking from side to side? I do get that, especially with the extra weight, but i did lift it to compensate...

If weight made that much difference, get yourself one those big evo spoilers.... but your at risk of looking a barry boy if u do :lol:

Am, I can't drop the car anymore currently unless I have the arches rolled, the tyres are already covered in brown marks where I'm assuming that they are already catching the existing arches?

I'd read somewhere, it might have been one of Tony's comments, but by dropping the car too much you screw up the geometry parallelogram / handling and it has a tendency to wander around, and from reading IS300.net a while back it seemed to be suggested that the extremely hard roll bars such as the yellow TRD's which I have can be detrimental to the ride quality with too much of a drop, as there is not sufficient roll to soak up the forces which is where the car just flips out, not sure but all I do know is that my car is dangerous at around 110 - any faster or slower and it settles down but at that speed it just seems to float wherever it wants!!!

Maybe something more fundamental is at fault here?

mine was like that too aido,just as i hit 0ver 100 it started feeling unsafe,i then took it too tony bones ,the geo was a mile out ,he set it up lovelly,reduced the dangerous ride by miles,feels much more stable and planted.he really knows his stuff,i bet yours is a mile out.

I bet it is mate, only problem is that the car is so low, don't think Tony's machines would handle it, then again yours looked low at JAE, or was that all the gear in the car mate?

I bet it is mate, only problem is that the car is so low, don't think Tony's machines would handle it, then again yours looked low at JAE, or was that all the gear in the car mate?

yeh prob,you do need 15 mm above the tyres for tonys gear,but he is getting new gear soon he says to sort you low boys out.

Not wanting to take anything from Tony, but Elite in Rainham Essex can do it. They managed to do freinds golf which is on porsche 16s, and its loow!!

They have drive on dedicated bays. They use John Beams alignement equipment and are all to used working on lowered cars, even ones totally decked. Not taken mine there as little can be recovered on the cam, unless i raise it :lol:

Glad the wheel/tyre was useful, nice meeting you as with the other LOC members over the last few weeks. I'll have to come along to the next Midlands meet that happens...

Will you be coming in an IS300 :lol:

I'm certainly keeping my eye on the used car section of the local dealers pages, but I've been given an extended warranty by Nottingham after they were messing me around so I think I may stick with mine for at least the length of the warranty!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links