Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Battery Keeps Going Flat?

mark_cardiff

I picked up a '02 Windom 3.0G and am very pleased with it. Engine is very smooth and quiet and the ride is great. However, just last week, i had problems starting the car, and ended up buying a new Battery as i needed the car and didnt have time to take it to the garage to get checked. As soon as i put the new Battery in, it worked beautifully again. It has been about a week now, and im having trouble starting the engine.

Can anyone help ? I have replaced the original double din LCD mon headunit with a aftermarket DVD/TV LCD mon. Has that got anything to do with it??

ANy help would be most appreciated

Check your head-unit has permanent and switched 12V the right way round. If this isn't it, and it's not something daft like a courtesy light, one by one, remove each fuse and put an ammeter across the contacts in the fuse-box, you should suddenly see a power draw when you're across the affected circuit (avoid pulling the ECTS and ECU fuses unless absolutely necessary as these feed the ECU and transmission).

To give you some idea, a 1 amp load would run the Battery flat in about 3 days, that's what I'd be looking out for.

That should help you pinpoint the fault.

Check your head-unit has permanent and switched 12V the right way round.  If this isn't it, and it's not something daft like a courtesy light, one by one, remove each fuse and put an ammeter across the contacts in the fuse-box, you should suddenly see a power draw when you're across the affected circuit (avoid pulling the ECTS and ECU fuses unless absolutely necessary as these feed the ECU and transmission).

To give you some idea, a 1 amp load would run the battery flat in about 3 days, that's what I'd be looking out for.

thanks! I'll take it down to the shop where i got the head unit installed and get them to check it out. I'm pretty sure i havent left a light on, unless one of the lights in the glovebox, or in the arm rest are faulty and not turning off properly

Check your head-unit has permanent and switched 12V the right way round.  If this isn't it, and it's not something daft like a courtesy light, one by one, remove each fuse and put an ammeter across the contacts in the fuse-box, you should suddenly see a power draw when you're across the affected circuit (avoid pulling the ECTS and ECU fuses unless absolutely necessary as these feed the ECU and transmission).

To give you some idea, a 1 amp load would run the battery flat in about 3 days, that's what I'd be looking out for.

thanks! I'll take it down to the shop where i got the head unit installed and get them to check it out. I'm pretty sure i havent left a light on, unless one of the lights in the glovebox, or in the arm rest are faulty and not turning off properly

just been to the hi-fi place. they said they dont think its the way they installed it, but they unplugged the headunit and said to try it for a few days without it plugged in and see if its any better. If it fine, then perhaps its a problem with the actual unit and they will change it for me.

Have you conisdered it may be the alternator playing up? On some cars there will be some sort of warning light on the dash to say this, but I'm not sure about the Windom, and if it is likely to fail at such a young age anyway!

D.

Have you conisdered it may be the alternator playing up? On some cars there will be some sort of warning light on the dash to say this, but I'm not sure about the Windom, and if it is likely to fail at such a young age anyway!

D.

Well i used the car for about a week or so before installing the new headunit and everything seemed fine. However, it was until i changed the headunit that the problems started occuring.

If it was the alternator, surely the Battery wouldnt recharge whilst the car is in use? It would just stay flat?