Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

K&n Filter

Doodlebug

Fitted mine lunchtime. Bracket doesn't fit the GS, but I should be able to bend it to fit, sits there quite nicely in the meantime.

Bit scary when I first pulled off, car limped up the hill and across the car park before picking up! Presumably the ECU didn't know what to make of the new intake at first. If it still gives me hassle this evening I'll reset it.

Great stuff Gord...they're only around the corner from me!  Do you know if you can buy them direct from their manufacturing site?  That would be good!

Hi, I've been lurking for a while and thought I'd offer a (hopefully) useful post. There's a motor factors called DRB in Warrington which is where I got my K&N filter from. Not got a Lexus (yet) - just an MR2.

Found their address on here if you're interested.

D.R.B Car Spares

25 Orford Green

Warrington

Cheshire

WA2 8PE

Tel: 01925 415294

Cheers,

Rich

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Whilst I eagerly await for Dave to R&D the IS300 turbo kit, I decided to get a K&N Typhoon to fill the monotony of waiting. I know I'll have to replace it for the a turbo kit when that opportunity arises, but it was either that or get bored with stock tuning and eventually sell the Tezza for a 350z...

So I just fitted the Typhoon onto my 3l Altezza Gita. Took it for a v. brief test drive to test for problems, peoples heads were well turning with the noise! :D

In the instruction sheet for the Typhoon, there's a lot of mention regarding the EVAP OBD canister. What the hell is that? I couldn't find what they were talking about, so I'm assuming I don't have one, and just skipped all those parts. (I now have a lot of left overs that I don't seem to need, is that okay???)

Also, Scarface, I was looking at your garage pics, showing your Typhoon in situ....

You have left the stock air inlet duct installed, even though the instruction sheet says to remove it. I guess this is because every bit of cold air flowing over the filter the better, right? Also, your inlet duct seems to have 2 bolts holding it in place... however mine only has one, the one on the very right hand side. Did yours come with 2 bolts, or have you jury-rigged a solution just to hold the inlet in place better??

Can't wait till this evening when the roads are emptier, for a bit more road-testing!

Hi,

Also, Scarface, I was looking at your garage pics, showing your Typhoon in situ....

You have left the stock air inlet duct installed, even though the instruction sheet says to remove it.  I guess this is because every bit of cold air flowing over the filter the better, right?  Also, your inlet duct seems to have 2 bolts holding it in place... however mine only has one, the one on the very right hand side.  Did yours come with 2 bolts, or have you jury-rigged a solution just to hold the inlet in place better??

I'll attempt to answer some of your questions:

As to the EVAP OBD I didn't have the foggiest idea what they were going on about and chose to ignore this section. Maybe it's for the US model only?

Some folks feel the need to keep the stock air duct in place to increase air flow to the filter head. I have a sports grille filled to my IS300 which allows better airflow than the standard grille, so I removed the air duct as I felt it didn't look quite right.

I think the 1 bolt / 2 bolt scenario depends if it is the Rev.1 or the post 10/2003 Rev.2 which had a small facelift. Mine is a Rev.2 and has the single bolt on the right.

Fitted mine in Jan 2005, done 5,500 miles since then and it has been perfect!

Thanks Morse,

That's funny regarding the Rev1/Rev2 date, 'cos I received my new Gita from Toyota in Yokohama when I lived in Japan on Sep 29 2003!

The reason I asked about the 1/2 2bolt deal is 'cos I was worrying about the inlet vibrating.... but it seems to be a snug fit when the hood is down though.... I will see how it goes.

Great to hear about the manifold, I didn't know it was ready. I only recently piped up my interest in an IS300 turbo kit with Dave, and he was mentioning the ongoing design of the custom built manifold....

I'd always been considering the PSF turbo kit until I learnt it wouldn't fit because of the RHD driving column.

15-30 bhp you say?? I'll be keeping a very close eye on how it turns out for you.

Keep us all updated!

Back to the K&N filter....................I recently replaced my DIRTY oem filter with the k&n filter, cleaned my iridium plugs and reset the ECU. I have re-filled my gas tank twice. The result?..............from 500 to 600 km per tank( approx 28 mpg) :) . I am very pleased with the performance, plus it sounds great.

I noticed that if I am coasting (foot off the gas pedal and decelerating) the gear shifts down a little quicker???? Not a problem just that it feels a little different.

trinilex.......................... :driving: