Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Well, taken the plunge - put the deposit down today on a 2000 X plate LS430, trading in the GS *sniff*

Slight confusion though; car was advertised as having parking sensors. Couldn't actually find them, and the manual shows a photo of a "park assist" button on the dash, but no such button is there.

But the uk spec sheet says it has parking sensors, and so does the Lexus website. Dealer isn't a Lexus dealer (car does have flsh though!) so doesn't know; got him to agree to fit third party sensors in the price.

But DO all LS430s have the sensors and I've not found the button or do some do, some don't? Anyone know? If it's got them hidden somewhere I can tell him not to bother!

what EXACTLY was it advertised as having mate?

Parkng sensors are the sensors in the bumper, beep as you get closer to obstacles etc. There is no button on the dash, or any other visible indicator with the Lexus fit parking sensors.

Parking assist however, is a display on the centre console screen that shows the area behind you. You can see it on the lexus website here. This has a "Park" button on the dash to activate the screen / camera etc.

Thanks for your answer.

Well, the ad said "parking sensors". I put it into reverse but at no point did anything beep at me, and at last the sales guy said "stop, I don't think it's got sensors after all". There is no external evidence of any sensors.

I then looked in the manual to see what it says and the only thing was the park assist stuff, and it was evident the car didn't have that.

So from your reply I guess it should have just the ultrasonic sensors - are they hidden in the bumper somewhere out of sight, and why wouldn't they beep, any idea? Or could it be they really aren't there would you think?

No, the LS430 from 2000 till 2003 does not have parking sensors.

The facelifted one (Nov 2003 upwards) has everything: 6 gears, front and read parking sensors, rear view camera, Bluetooth, and is a bit faster and a bit more economic. Of course it looks better , has 18" alloys, etc.

I'm having parking sensors with rear view camera fitted to my X reg LS430 these days.

The facelifted one (Nov 2003 upwards) has everything: 6 gears, front and read parking sensors, rear view camera, bluetooth, and is a bit faster and a bit more economic. Of course it looks better , has 18" alloys, etc.

I'm having parking sensors with rear view camera fitted to my X reg LS430 these days.

Thanks Mike - I'ver never been so confused!

All the reviews of a 2000 plate LS430 I've read say it DOES have sensors. Lexus UK have now responded and say it does too, but that they can be turned off, so they think that's what happened. So now the dealer is looking for the on/off option Lexus tell me is there. Does this email from Lexus UK make sense? And how much is it to add the rear view camera option?

Quote:

-----------------------

Thank you for your email.

The Lexus LS430 Series 1 (from Sept 1998) should be fitted with an

Ultrasonic parking system as standard.

I have checked and I can confirm that it is possible to switch off the

parking sensors on the LS430.

Please refer to the owners manual (Lexus Park Assist)

To the right hand of the steering below the auto mirror switch there is a

switch with a P with a triangle.

This switches the sensors on or off.

-----------------------

Sept 1998? Strange, as the LS430 came in UK on November 2000 (until then they were selling the LS400).

I own an LS430 X reg, and have test driven a few, and never seen one with parking sensors (until the new one came out on Nov 2003).

It's very easy to notice if a car has parking sensors, just look at the rear and front bumpers, you should see the 4 or more round detectors.

The facelifted one (Nov 2003 upwards) has everything: 6 gears, front and read parking sensors, rear view camera, bluetooth, and is a bit faster and a bit more economic. Of course it looks better , has 18" alloys, etc.

Thanks Mike - I'ver never been so confused!

All the reviews of a 2000 plate LS430 I've read say it DOES have sensors. Lexus UK have now responded and say it does too, but that they can be turned off, so they think that's what happened. So now the dealer is looking for the on/off option Lexus tell me is there. Does this email from Lexus UK make sense? And how much is it to add the rear view camera option?

Quote:

-----------------------

Thank you for your email.

The Lexus LS430 Series 1 (from Sept 1998) should be fitted with an

Ultrasonic parking system as standard.

I have checked and I can confirm that it is possible to switch off the

parking sensors on the LS430.

Please refer to the owners manual (Lexus Park Assist)

To the right hand of the steering below the auto mirror switch there is a

switch with a P with a triangle.

This switches the sensors on or off.

-----------------------

Reckon you're right Mike - and thanks for the info. I guess Lexus don't know their own cars! I did look for sensors but saw none so I guess that confirms it. Oh well, the dealer will agree to fitting as third party product in the price so it has to be that route I guess.

But aside from that, looking forward to the car a lot!

I have a 2001(Y) UK Lexus LS430, and it has parking sensors integrated.

This is not the full park assist like the lucky bastards with 2003 models have, but it was standard, and beeps like a well rodgered Road-runner when you get a bit close to immovable objects :duh:

It also has the premium pack, maybe thats part of it!?

Only guessing...it loves petrol stations though :blush:

Thanks for the welcome!

I can nurse it up to 23mpg in mixed running, probably 24 on a run, or nearer 19mpg around town with a bit of right foot thrown in.

Spectacular for such a large beast I suppose, but not compared to my Fabia vRS TDi if you know what I mean.... :D

I usedto have a 3.0 litre Capri, and as I remember that used to use a Watering can as a carb..... :tsktsk:

I get 19-20 in normal use (mainly in town), I expected to get at least the stated average of 23.5 (my 3 series 2.5 BMW got 34mpg, on a stated average of 31).

On M25 I get 28mpg.

In pure town driving, I get as low as 14mpg.

I guess it's not only the engine size, it's also the weight.

Btw, I have it always on normal, instead of sport :)

Sorry, I'll be more specific....

Typical MPG per tank is 21. I drive 5 miles to work, and mainly use it around town with a trip of 30 miles once a week, which sees a good blast down a local Motorway at 150mph.

No fouled plugs for me then :lol:

I took it down the motorway at 75ish, and it was telling me around 28-30 on the digidash, so all is well. It's just serviced, and 23,000 miles, no probs..... :)

For what it's worth, when I test drove the one I'm about to buy, the average mpg on the the dash was showing 25 point something, which seemed good to me. But then I have no way of knowing when that was last reset of course.

But it seems to me that if you are mad enough to buy one of these beasts then the fuel is the least of your worries - just enjoy it!

Well I have a LS430 xreg. jan 2001 and it has fitted sensors

Typical MPG per tank is 21. I drive 5 miles to work, and mainly use it around town with a trip of 30 miles once a week, which sees a good blast down a local Motorway at 150mph.

No fouled plugs for me then  :lol:

I took it down the motorway at 75ish, and it was telling me around 28-30 on the digidash, so all is well. It's just serviced, and 23,000 miles, no probs..... :)

A hundred and fifty miles an hour,I thought the LS was governed to 133

No fouled plugs for me then  :lol:

A hundred and fifty miles an hour,I thought the LS was governed to 133

Maybe Jap imports, my Mk2 1993 has done (ahem) 150+, in Germany obviously!! (ossifer)

Well, just as an update, I've established through this process that the LS430 did NOT come with parking sensors for a brief period in 2000 after launch, whatever Lexus themselves say now. They were added soon after launch but not immediately.

For other reasons - badly scratched paintwork that was initially going to be sorted but now is not going to be; the dealer feels it's too expensive for him to do and has "other customers" willing to take it as it is - I've now rejected this car and got my deposit back anyway, so am now looking for a slightly later one.

I never did get an answer, either here or from Lexus (asked them twice) whether it is POSSIBLE to add the much later reversing camera system to an older 430 and if so, at what price?

Well, just as an update, I've established through this process that the LS430 did NOT come with parking sensors for a brief period in 2000 after launch, whatever Lexus themselves say now. They were added soon after launch but not immediately.

For other reasons  - badly scratched paintwork that was initially going to be sorted but now is not going to be; the dealer feels it's too expensive  for him to do and has "other customers" willing to take it as it is  - I've now rejected this car and got my deposit back anyway, so am now looking for a slightly later one.

I never did get an answer, either here or from Lexus (asked them twice) whether it is POSSIBLE to add the much later reversing camera system to an older 430 and if so, at what price?

Sorry you're not getting the LS. To add to the posts my 2001 does not have parking sensors, although , I believe retrospectively sensors were fitted to the rear. There is no visual display, just a beep. They're well fitted and colour coded . There are no front ones.

On mpg, light footed I get over 30, about 31/32. Mixed driving mid 20's and around the hills of Hastings 13/14- 3 mile journeys each time but averaged over 10 journeys of just this type. Never belive what you read in the govnm. figures which are artificial conditions. Real life average will always be nearer the urban figure quoted

Thanks for that Brian, and welcome to the club!

As best as I can now tell, the sensors were not available at all at launch, became available as an option in March 2001, and became standard fit in April 2002. I know I keep going on about this to the boredom of most, but documenting it here may be useful to future purchasers.

Your 20-30 mpg figures sound about what I was hoping for - and I will be buying an LS, just not that one! Have to just keep slumming it in the GS for a bit longer. Sigh.

Thanks for the welcome. I guess you're keeping an eye on E-Bay as there's an increasing no of LS430's there. One today, with 65k miles, went for (around) £18k. I bought mine from e-bay at ,72k, and it's the best car I've ever had unless you want to park it in a small place (parking sensors are very desirable). Best of luck finding one!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links