Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cancer

AMH

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my thoughts are with you & your family Andy.

the dreaded 'C' word evokes all sorts of reactions - blind panic when my dad was diagnosed with malignant melanoma last year (lymph nodes removed & in the clear at the mo'), & completely lost for words when i found out my cousin's wife has just found out her breast cancer has returned & spread to lots of different places...

keep gritting your teeth thru all the tests being done & i really hope you get a favorable outcome.

best wishes, keep us updated,

Abbie

Keep your spirits up!

A lad in work with me had a brain tumour the size of a GRAPEFRUIT :o removed. Remained in VERY good spirits during radiotherapy (presumably because his blinding headaches had now gone), is now back in work and was recently given the all-clear.

Good luck!

Hi Andy, I am very sorry to hear what has happened. Times have changed and hopefully the prognosis will be positive with all the different management options we have in this day and age. I am training to be a doctor so if there is anything you would like to discuss please feel free to send me a message.

Cancer is very common- it affects 1 in every 3 of us, and most of the time it can be treated successfully but it still doesn't mean that it is a very upsetting diagnosis. My thoughts are with you and your family mate.

Cancer is very much a fighting thing

As long as you stay positive and carry on regardless you will be good. My grandad had cancer of many parts of his body, but maqnaged to have 15 good years since the doctors said he had 6 weeks to live. Unfortunately he died last year but was at a good age of 74.

And he was working right up to the last week of his life.

So even when the doctors says you havent got long to live doesnt mean its right. So always keep positive and the best will come of it :D

• 9 months later...

Quick update for those following the story so far !

Started chemo in Sept 05 and finished in Jan 06 - seem to have knocked the cancer back for a little while according to all the tests done (MRI / bone marrow / blood tests / cameras etc !).

Did loads of research and know Mantle Cell will return - usually sooner rather than later so searched far and wide for any potential cures - even though officially there is none.

Came across some US based stories of stem cell transplants being used to prolong life - so to cut a long story very short I am right now sat in Southampton General Hospital mid-way through a PBSCT (Peripheral Blood Stem Cell Transplant) using my sister as a donor - it's a it like a bone marrow transplant but using the blood as the stem cell transfer method instead of actual bone marrow.

I am now (so my consultant advised anyway) only the second reported case of hereditary mantle cell lymphoma in the world and the first to undergo a PBSCT using a related donor - is that scary or what ?

Thanks must go to all those in the NHS that supported this experiment and with luck I will have completed the whole treatment cycle in under 12 months from original diagnosis (see first post date~) all that remains now is to see how long the new stem cells keep any cancers at bay ...

Hope you don't mind the detail - just need your continued support I guess - hence the mail.

Oh and 'cos I am in this isolation ward I get free telly (shame I don't really like football then - really !!) and I get to use my PC and mobile phone links etc with no aggro ... :D

See you all at JAE next year I hope ...

Andy.

Glad things are moving forward in a postive way Andy,

Hope you get better soon mate,

Look Forward To Seeing you at JAE Next Year

All The Best

BR

Paul

how reading one post can put any troubles i have had into a pale insignificance

best of luck Andy, we are all behind you

just holla if you need anything

and give that sister of yours a big hug from all of us :D

It's very brave and honorable of you to continue keeping everyone informed of your progress. You read very positive, i like that! A strong mental attitude when you are down can overwhelm any word.. :unsure: you know that word 'Cancer'.... LOC shares your anger, supports your fears and recognizes your distress (team LOC)

Maintain your attitude and you will take your Daughter to her prom ;)

Keep it up mate.

By the way the roof bars worked a treat got some cheap bike carried from Decathlon for them. Shame it rained all weekend at Centre Parcs!

Andy,

I admire your courage and bravery. I met the head of a homeopathic hospital and he said the first thing he says to cancer patients when they come in is "your body has cancer, you DO NOT have cancer". He gets patients to break the mind:body connection.

I don't know if you've read "It's not about the bike" by Lance Armstrong about his fight with testicular cancer. A very inspiring story. The docs gave him 5% chance of survival at one stage, he went on to recover and win Tour de France!!

I wish you a speedy recovery, and look forward to talking about Lexi at next years JAE!

Finally, I work in R&D for Europe's biggest pharmaceutical, so if there's anything I can help you out with, do get in touch.

Keep Smiling ;-)

M

Thank you once again for all the supporting comments - they really are much appreciated right now.

Damer - please bars worked out OK.

Maneesh - I am a Project Engineer for a large Pharma Co. too - plus I did 7 years managing new product introductions to EU and ECE - small world !!

Geoffers - thank you for your message too.

Best regards to all

Andy.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links