Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

'floaty' Handling Problem

Pies

Hi folks, I didn't put this in handling category as I'm not yet sure whats wrong. :blink:

When I make right turns at speed and sometimes left ones too te rear of the car seems to feel floaty. Not exactly confidence inspiring! :unsure:

I don't remember it doing it before but have noticed over the last week, since I got it back from a service. I was told I'd require attention to the brakes soon by the dealer.

I'm back on the standard 17s with tyre pressure 32 all round.

Can anyone help? :question:

It's a standard 2000 SE with 44k on it.

Hi folks, I didn't put this in handling category as I'm not yet sure whats wrong. :blink:

When I make right turns at speed and sometimes left ones too te rear of the car seems to feel floaty.  Not exactly confidence inspiring! :unsure:

I don't remember it doing it before but have noticed over the last week, since I got it back from a service.  I was told I'd require attention to the brakes soon by the dealer.

I'm back on the standard 17s with tyre pressure 32 all round.

Can anyone help?    :question:

It's a standard 2000 SE with 44k on it.

Does the car feel like it wants to 'oversteer', also on the service did they do the geometry?

Sorry if this is hijacking the thread but I have the same problem.

I had an accident at the beginning of July (some of you may have seen the thread about it) which was repaired (damage to the rear wheel and they ended up replacing £4k worth of parts! :ohmy:) and I also had 4 new tryes put on and ever since it always seems to have been fine turning left, but like it didn't have as much grip turning right. It feels the back end could go at any moment.

The tyres should be worn in now and I've checked the pressures (and adjusted them) and it feels better but the problem is still there. At first I thought it was just me being paranoid about right turns because that's how I crashed but now I'm sure there is something wrong.

I'd love to go see Dr Bones and get the geometry checked but it's a 500 mile round trip to Watford :(

Sorry if this is hijacking the thread but I have the same problem.

I had an accident at the beginning of July (some of you may have seen the thread about it) which was repaired (damage to the rear wheel and they ended up replacing £4k worth of parts!  :ohmy:) and I also had 4 new tryes put on and ever since it always seems to have been fine turning left, but like it didn't have as much grip turning right. It feels the back end could go at any moment.

The tyres should be worn in now and I've checked the pressures (and adjusted them) and it feels better but the problem is still there. At first I thought it was just me being paranoid about right turns because that's how I crashed but now I'm sure there is something wrong.

I'd love to go see Dr Bones and get the geometry checked but it's a 500 mile round trip to Watford  :(

The more times i so this may help someone else in the future, ' did' you get a print out after the repair.

I kind of feels like it is oversteering but there is no 'snap' bringing it back. Oversteer feeling then this floaty thing.

It was the 5 year service, I don't think it was done. I'll check. If it wasn't I'll get it done.

Anywhere you could recomend in the Aberdeen/shire area?

And if I do I'll get a print out! :winky:

I kind of feels like it is oversteering but there is no 'snap' bringing it back.  Oversteer feeling then this floaty thing.

It was the 5 year service, I don't think it was done.  I'll check.  If it wasn't I'll get it done.

Anywhere you could recomend in the Aberdeen/shire area?

And if I do I'll get a print out!  :winky:

Drury lane service station i think are the nearest? check on my site wheels-inmotion.co.uk and go to 'trusted centres' :D

The garage wouldn't give any paperwork (other than the receipt) because they said they had already sent it off to the insurance company, and they were unable to print off another copy. After asking to see the manager I managed to get a copy of the estimate from them but that was all (£1700). I rang the insurance company who agreed to send me a copy of the paperwork but all I received was a copy of the invoice (£3800 - think they've been ripped off a bit there!). So no, I'm afraid I don't have a geometry print out.

I see it's only a 280 mile round trip to Drury Lane... :driving:

The garage wouldn't give any paperwork (other than the receipt) because they said they had already sent it off to the insurance company, and they were unable to print off another copy. After asking to see the manager I managed to get a copy of the estimate from them but that was all (£1700). I rang the insurance company who agreed to send me a copy of the paperwork but all I received was a copy of the invoice (£3800 - think they've been ripped off a bit there!). So no, I'm afraid I don't have a geometry print out.

I see it's only a 280 mile round trip to Drury Lane...  :driving:

There is a very high level of customer care and geometry understanding needed for 'ME' to trust any other centre, even more so for me to display anyone on my site.

Drury lane aggreed a price structure for LOC that mirrors mine and will if in doubt phone me if things dont feel or read right. Anees here at LOC needed unique settings i wrote the set-up for Anees and drury were on the phone wanting to know 'why this? and why that'.... the reason for this was 'customer care' very few would belittle themselves and ask 'why' they did and i respect that, infact they are # 1 on my list of 'trusted centres'.

• 3 months later...
Hi Guys,

Sorry to jump on somebody elses post with my own question, but if the Caster Arms need replacing how much should I be looking to pay a garage to do this do you think? Don't want to get ripped off by not knowing what I'm talking about! 

Cheers,

Neil

Hello matey.... pm Prolex here in LOC I'm sure they can accommodate.