Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx 300 Brake Condition

RX300 SE-L 2003 7K

Hi all you petrol heads, have any of you rx owners had problems with the brake pedal movment when stopped in traffic. ie when you press the brake pedal to stop and hold the pedal down the engin idle speed drops and the pedal drops about 15 20 mm.Is this a common thing on the rx 300

still not happy with the brakes,as my wife drives the RX most of the time she is always telling me of this condition .It is always in heavy traffic and know she tells me she thinks it is happening not only when she is stopped but when she is slowing down . RX going back into Lexus Bristol today and service are giving me a new RX for a few day to try and see if this happens on a 55 plate.Working with hydraulics and high pressure air for the last 20 years I feel and know somthing is not in tolerance in the braking or electrical system.

will let you guys know how I get on.

RX300 SE-L 2003 7K

Hi all you petrol heads, have any of you rx owners had problems with the brake pedal movment when stopped in traffic. ie when you press the brake pedal to stop and hold the pedal down the engin idle speed drops and the pedal drops about 15 20 mm.Is this a common thing on the rx 300

Not sure I have felt what you are describing. Sometimes I feel a bad downshift going down a hill or my brake pedal has a lot of play in it. What part of what is happening worries you most.

When I have something I know is related to transmission, I usually pull the negative cable on my Battery to reset it. With where I live, the terrain changes so much the car feels funny on occasion.

RX300 SE-L 2003 7K

Hi Swag, i have noticed that this happens but it does not worry me as i think its part of the cars design, and at the end of the day the car does pull you up so for me it's not a problem. Baz

RX300 SE-L 2003 7K

Hi Swag, i have noticed that this happens but it does not worry me as i think its part of the cars design, and at the end of the day the car does pull you up so for me it's not a problem. Baz

Hi all

yep I am still about.

In answer to the brake peddle question it could be a bit of air got into the braking system.

Here is a very old trick but still works on any car to cure the problem.

When you park up the car for the night wedge the brake peddle down hard with a piece of wood or similar, usually the best way is from the drivers seat to the brake peddle, leave the brake peddle wedged down till the following day.

In the morning you will find that the problem is gone. the theory is that as the brake is under pressure for some time any air is forced out .

Please let me know if this works for you as I havn't had to use this method to stop bake peddle fade for some time.

Realspeed

I get exactly the same thing...as you sit with foot on brake it goes down. I find if I lift off and re-apply it is back to the usual place.

To be honest I'm not bothered about it.... never even thought about it until mentioned here.

Hi all

yep I am still about.

In answer to the brake peddle question it could be a bit of air got into the braking system.

Here is a very old trick but still works on any car to cure the problem.

When you park up the car for the night wedge the brake peddle down hard with a piece of wood or similar, usually the best way is from the drivers seat to the brake peddle, leave the brake peddle wedged down till the following day.

In the morning you will find that the problem is gone. the theory is that as the brake is under pressure for some time any air is forced out .

Please let me know if this works for you as I havn't had to use this method to stop bake peddle fade for some time.

Realspeed

[/ :D quote]

Your kidding me, right?

No I do not kid anyone about safety I am serious. It appears that you are unaware of this method of expunging air from brake fluid lines. I am not talking about air bubbles that need the brakes to be bled, no this is a trick used to stop brake fade.

So many times have I heard of people going to a garage and paying loads of cash to get the problem sorted and all the garage does is exactly as I have stated and smile when they take your money.

I give this tip for anyone who has brake fade and it is up to them to try it out for themselves. It costs nothing except an overnight wedging of a brake peddle down and there is nothing to loose by trying it.

Having been around cars and mechanics as a hobby for over 40 years some of the tricks used in the past have been forgotton, and if I can revive and pass on knowledge that helps then I will.

ALL I SAY IS TRY IT BEFORE YOU KNOCK IT.

Realspeed

No I do not kid anyone about safety I am serious. It appears that you are unaware of this method of expunging air from brake fluid lines. I am not talking about air bubbles that need the brakes to be bled, no this is a trick used to stop brake fade.

So many times have I heard of people going to a garage and paying loads of cash to get the problem sorted and all the garage does is exactly as I have stated and smile when they take your money.

I give this tip for anyone who has brake fade and it is up to them to try it out for themselves. It costs nothing except an overnight wedging of a brake peddle down and there is nothing to loose by trying it.

Having been around cars and mechanics as a hobby for over 40 years some of the tricks used in the past have been forgotton,  and if I can revive and pass on knowledge that helps then I will.

Realspeed

Having been around cars and mechanics as a hobby for over 40 years some of the tricks used in the past have been forgotton,  and if I can revive and pass on knowledge that helps then I will.

Realspeed

Realspeed

Well, i will certainly try it, many thanks for the tip.

Mine does exactly this when stationary with foot on brake pedal, It seems to occur when something like the aircon compessor kicks in or out and the engine management adjusts the idle speed slightly.

This may cause a difference in vacuum pressure in the servo for the brakes giving this drop feeling.

Having said this the brakes are superb and I have never noticed the problem unless car is stationary.

Tony

Hi you guys and thanks for all the replies and posts.The RX has been into Lexus Bristol for a brake safety check and a few minor rattles.Brakes check out ok and Lexus have no reports of this condition.I have been asked to monitor the brakes over the next month to try to give them some pointers as to isolate thr problem(if there is one )

all rattles sorted and the car returned nice ang clean

first class customer care at Bristol

• 3 months later...

its going in again ,this time for another new master cylinder and brake servo .IF this does not work Lexus Uk will have thwe RX back to look at the brakes .Will let you guys know how I get on .Plus point is service are letting me have a 400 for a few days (should be fun)

Swager

its going in again ,this time for another  new master cylinder and brake servo .IF this does not work Lexus Uk will have thwe RX back to look at the brakes .Will let you guys know how I get on .Plus point is service are letting me have a 400 for a few days (should be fun)

Swager

Mine has just had a new master cylinder and servo fitted earlier this month.

First thing on a morning the brake pedal was like concrete when pressed and the brakes had very little effect in trying to stop the car.

After a couple of uses it was a though the braking system woke up and worked ok again until the car was left over night.

Once again my brakes are superb and Lexus Stockport service and attention superb.

its going in again ,this time for another  new master cylinder and brake servo .IF this does not work Lexus Uk will have thwe RX back to look at the brakes .Will let you guys know how I get on .Plus point is service are letting me have a 400 for a few days (should be fun)

Swager

Mine has just had a new master cylinder and servo fitted earlier this month.

First thing on a morning the brake pedal was like concrete when pressed and the brakes had very little effect in trying to stop the car.

After a couple of uses it was a though the braking system woke up and worked ok again until the car was left over night.

Once again my brakes are superb and Lexus Stockport service and attention superb.

Hi Tonyuk

Merry Crimbo

all sorted, brakes top dog and working like new.Lexus Bristol Service got there in the end with new updated master cylinder and servo unit.

Swager

RX300 SE-L 2003 7K

still not happy with the brakes,as my wife drives the RX most of the time she is always telling me of this condition .It is always in heavy traffic and know she tells me she thinks it is happening  not only when she is stopped but when she is slowing down . RX going back into Lexus Bristol today and service are giving me a new RX for a few day to try and see if this happens on a 55 plate.Working with hydraulics and high pressure air for the last 20 years I feel and know somthing is not in tolerance in the braking or electrical system.

will let you guys know how I get on.

Merry Crimbo to all

great christmas present from Lexus Bristol,they have got the brakes sorted at last.

With new updated master cylinder and servo unit fitted.

All rattles sorted (I hope)

When I gave the RX to service I mentioned I could hear a faint clunk from the rear of transmission.

When I collected it they told me they have fitted a brand new rear diff ,drive joints and prop shafts ,all under warrenty.

and to boot the wife is now happy.The next visit will be for a test drive in the new IS and a cup of coffee.Well done Bristol.

Swager :D :D :D

I have just mentioned transmission clunks on my RX to Lexus Sheffield, which I have put down to the harsh gearchange which we are waiting for the chip upgrade to cure. Unfortunately they can't fit my car in next week due to staff holidays.

Will have to try and find time in the new year to get it in.