Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've Just Ordered A Tow Bar

Mark D

Hello,

First off, I'd like to apologise for doing this to a Lexus ( I did spend the extra money to get the detachable version)

Because I'm moving into a new house in a few weeks, I'm going to need to be transporting all sorts of things which won't fit in a IS200 - and I've got a trailer, so it makes sense.

Any way, my questions is about the electrics of the towbar - has any one done their own wiring - and is there any thing special about it?

I was told by the sales girl that the IS needed a relay (@£26) but I didn't take it because I wasn't sure if it was just for a caravan or not.

Most of you will be relieved to hear that I will never be towing a caravan.

Thanks for any advice.

Which circuit were you told you'd need the relay for? I assume it is for the brake lights but the current supplied (15A) is enough to power external brake lights. Everyone who has done the fog light mod will confirm this.

The only reason I can think of is the light failure warning. With extra lights on, it is above the minumum current flowing so may not trigger.

If you don't want the hassle of running an extra feed and relay and can live with the possibility that the light failure will not work, just tap off the brake feed, indicators, fogs, back lights and make sure you have a really good earth.

The light failure is only for the existing lights - if you put a relay in the warning would not work on the trailer anyway. When the trailer is not connected, the light warning would then work again as it will see a drop in the current flowing if a lamp is out.

Do you have the 7-pin or 13-pin style connector? With the 13 pin you have additional power feeds for fridge, perm 12v, reversing light - maybe she was thinking for that?

Which circuit were you told you'd need the relay for? I assume it is for the brake lights but the current supplied (15A) is enough to power external brake lights. Everyone who has done the fog light mod will confirm this.

The only reason I can think of is the light failure warning. With extra lights on, it is above the minumum current flowing so may not trigger.

If you don't want the hassle of running an extra feed and relay and can live with the possibility that the light failure will not work,  just tap off the brake feed, indicators, fogs, back lights and make sure you have a really good earth.

The light failure is only for the existing lights - if you put a relay in the warning would not work on the trailer anyway. When the trailer is not connected, the light warning would then work again as it will see a drop in the current flowing if a lamp is out.

Do you have the 7-pin or 13-pin style connector? With the 13 pin you have additional power feeds for fridge, perm 12v, reversing light - maybe she was thinking for that?

Excellent reply! Thank you.

I won't need the 13pin connector, which is why I wanted confirmation on what the relay was for - I think she said it was a 7 gang relay.

I'll not be using the trailer very often - so the warning light won't bother me on the odd occassion I use it.

I want to stick a tow bar on my GS300 so I'd be interested in knowing where you got yours from and how much it costs.

Mine cost £230 plus £8 delivery from www.towequipe.co.uk

I've checked out the GS and the same type of towbar (Brink detachable) costs £299

You can get a fixed towbar for about £200. Can't say for sure though, as it depends on the year of your car.

Hello,

First off, I'd like to apologise for doing this to a Lexus ( I did spend the extra money to get the detachable version)

Because I'm moving into a new house in a few weeks, I'm going to need to be transporting all sorts of things which won't fit in a IS200 - and I've got a trailer, so it makes sense.

Any way, my questions is about the electrics of the towbar - has any one done their own wiring - and is there any thing special about it?

I was told by the sales girl that the IS needed a relay (@£26) but I didn't take it because I wasn't sure if it was just for a caravan or not.

Thanks for any advice.

I fitted a dealer supplied (actual made by Brink) towbar and electrics to my IS200. It came with two relays - one for the ignition-switched, 12-volt supply (used by fridges in caravans) and one for the reversing light (only on the supplementary plug so not applicable if you're just using a single 7-pin connector.

The indicators can be driven directly by tapping into the existing wiring but I believe there is a legal requirement for some sort of failure indication for the trailer's indicator bulbs (either a dashboard light or a buzzer).

Hello,

Thanks for any advice.

I have the Brink detachable on mine it takes a live feed from the footwell (I think) to a “Ryder” relay in the boot all the connection from the towbar socket go in one side of the relay unit the other side goes to the side lights\brake etc I was told it was so it does not bring up the warning light but also if you wire it direct it could draw to much power and blow a fuse

Ade :D

If I EVER see a Lex on the road with a caravan on tow, I know who you are!!!!! :whistling:  :lol:

I forgive a trailer........on this occasion  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

I've got both a caravan and a trailer. Can't see me using the lex for a run to the tip with the trailer but given the choice between a vauxhall omega or a nice lex to take on holiday I'll go with the lex.

MY LS tows MY caravan (1150kg) very nicely thank you. Been towing with it for 4 years, its NEVER let me down. Trouble is bl**dy slow cars get in my way!

Have either of you guy's had an oil cooler fitted to your LS's?

When I enquired about towing a caravan with my GS, they all said I would have to have an oil cooler fitted (being an auto) which worked out costing more than the tow bar itself :crying:

When I enquired the other day about getting a towbar fitted to my RX, the guy said that Lexus recommend that a cooler is fitted (at a cost of approx £800 :o ) - but he said no-one ever bothers! I guess that if it is 'recommended' and you didn't get one fitted then you could possibly invalidate any warranty?

SL01 xx

MY LS tows MY caravan (1150kg) very nicely thank you. Been towing with it for 4 years, its NEVER let me down. Trouble is bl**dy slow cars get in my way!

Have either of you guy's had an oil cooler fitted to your LS's?

When I enquired about towing a caravan with my GS, they all said I would have to have an oil cooler fitted (being an auto) which worked out costing more than the tow bar itself :crying:

Nope - the standard cooler works absolutely fine. Been loads of miles with vans on the back - temp guage never changes (and it would if the auto trans was overheating) - I do keep an eye and a nose on the trans fluid (just in case), but it is absolutely fine!

Originally I did enquire of Lexus about towing with an LS but they were so snotty ("we dont tow caravans with Lexuses" - honest - that was the reply from Canterbury) that I ignored them and spoke to a number of towing companies, the best answer was " Well, you would need a cooler towing a twinaxle across the sahara in summer, but otherwise - no"

Many thanks SL01 & Dave,

Had my caravan sitting accross the road for about 9 months now (since I bought the GS), too worried about getting a tow bar fitted for the fear of b :tsktsk: g the gearbox.

I don't feel ashamed towing a van - cheap unlimited holidays :driving: :P

>

>

>

>

plus I'm an old fart with 100 kids :blink::lol:

Hey,.... nowt wrong with caravanning. Sounds like I'm even older, my youngest boy got married last weekend!

I've been rallying since 1993, every 2/3 weeks through the year. Join a club (ACC is the one I belong to - NOT caravan club) pm for details or we can share with EVERYONE hahahaha - they wont take the p1$$ will they????

Hey,.... nowt wrong with caravanning. Sounds like I'm even older, my youngest boy got married last weekend!

I've been rallying since 1993, every 2/3 weeks through the year. Join a club (ACC is the one I belong to - NOT caravan club) pm for details or we can share with EVERYONE hahahaha - they wont take the p1$$ will they????

:whistling::whistling::lol:

Well my tow bar arrived - and I've had a look at the destructions - looks like I'll have to drill a couple of 20mm and a couple of 13mm holes in the boot floor :crybaby:

I don't want to hurt my car - but needs must.

I'm off to Espana tomorrow morning, so it'll have to wait until I return.