Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Surround Sound Setup.......

Fargo

Im putting together a surround sound system using bits and pieces i have lying around, I have a Kenwood DVD player thing which has loads of bits to hook up to it, but the speaker connections are all RCA type.

I have some speakers and sub which only have the usual +/- spring loaded connections on them,

so my question is where do i get a set up speaker cables that will convert the 2 wire +/- to an RCA type..

To be honest mate from an audiophile point of view you'd be best of matching the speakers with whatever you've got - stick to the same make and model if you can as the tone will be the same, keeps things simple too!

I just use B&W speakers in my system, sounds alright :)

Paul,

I have a set of eltax speakers... centre and two rears.

Centre is magneticaly shielded so you can sit it close to the TV etc.

For teh speaker cable, you can get cable from Maplin cheaper than using Curry's etc..

Let me know if your interested in the speakers.

personaly i would recomend the gold plated banana plugs for connecting the speakers and using the highest grade wire possible to the speakers for clarity of signal.

I always use richer sounds for all my cables and connectors as well as audio equipment as they are all specificaly trained in that feild, plus they are not on commision so they wont sell you what you dont need

personaly i would recomend the gold plated banana plugs for connecting the speakers and using the highest grade wire possible to the speakers for clarity of signal.

Why for surround sound speakers ? (apart from money>sense ?)

The Richer Sounds people I've dealt with have been absolute monkey's to be honest!

Didn't think all speakers had banana plugs Chris, a lot are the crappy spring loaded types, in fact wasn't an EU legislation passed banning the use of banana plugs because kiddies could plug them into a plug socket?

Seemed a bit silly to be as there are loads of things that can be pushed into a wall socket yet they're not banned!

What sort of cost are you talking for cable there Chris? I've paid over the £100 mark for a few of my cables, next I need a really good 10m DVI cable but if you don't pay over £150 you get too much noise in the picture, for now I'm making do with a crappy one but you can't use it for HDTV, seems stupid really :(

personaly i convert my speakers (if they come with spring loaded terminals) to gold plated banana plugs. couldnt tell you if they have been banned or not though. I like them as they normaly have a decent sized opening for the thicker cables compared to the origional size of the spring loaded terminals.

as for speaker cable i think a £10 a meter min is needed really for decent cable to make the most of a system.

as for interconnects i normaly budget about £40-60 for each type.

although now i already have them all i dont need to buy anymore which is great! took my a while and a lot of money to get my system up n running but am happy with it all now.

the richer sounds people in london and bromley have always been brilliant in my opinion, as i have been shopping there over 10 years now.

plus they tend to always be cheaper than their rivals for the same kit!

I used the same cable for all five speakers in my system mate to keep the properties identical, the amp and processor were £2,500 so didn't want to scrimp on the cables pal, guess you're looking at around 10 - 15% on cables of the overall cost?

Not worth it on a 100 quid amp though as it wouldn't really make any difference!

But why would you want to spend 10 pm on speaker cable to feed rear speakers???

well if it was a bog standard dolby surround sound pro logic setup then, not much point, but now DVD's use DTS and Dolby Digital you find that the right amp also pumps out equal amount of power to each channel. my Yamaha amp pumps out 100 watts per channel, so i have 4 matched KEF speakers for the front and rear effects, and huge Center channel speaker and a coffee table sized KEF powered Sub. all certified by Mr George Lucas himself.

I have to agree. I've spent nearly £400 on the surround cables. Its not worth having decent equipment if you're not going to use it with the top cables.

It definately makes a difference using dolby digital. But the DTS is amazing :D

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

what aido said is what i think, have spent over £2500 on all my seperates and surround sount kit, and want everything to sound its best, its like upgrading only your front brakes with braided lines and not your rears.

depends on what your priorities are realy, i have collected over 300+ dvds that i love to watch and at an average of £12 a dvd thats £3600 worth of films. seems like £200 worth of cable is duly needed to justify the money spent

have definately had a few cd's on that were in Digital format, have my cd and playstation and dvd linking to my amp via fibre optic cable for truely great sound.

nothing quite like the beginning of GT4 when it all kicks in! shame the rest of the game isnt in that too!