Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've had my GS300 Mk1 Sport for 3 months and I'm very concerned at the fuel consumption!

It's got an LPG conversion which returns 16 mpg and the petrol is not much better at 17 mpg.

I tried all sorts of driving combination with/without cruise, with/without power option, heavy foot/light foot, the averages don't change!

Any suggestions as to what needs attetnion to improve the mpg??? :duh:

Sell the Lex and buy either a push bike or a fiesta :)

i get on average mine 170 to 190 (at a push) to half O tank

just looked before i got out ive done 155 to just under 1/2

is this roughly the same as yours?

Steve

Sell the Lex and buy either a push bike or a fiesta :)

i get on average mine 170 to 190 (at a push) to half O tank

just looked before i got out ive done 155 to just under 1/2

is this roughly the same as yours?

Steve

Many thanks for your helpful and sensible answer. I am sure life is kind to you in yout own little world! ;) ;)

I get on average about 20 - 25 MPG on a combination of Motorway and country lanes, do an average of 50 Mls a day.

Is there any vibration from the steering - maybe the tracking is out dragging the wheels rather than a smooth run.

You could also check to see if anything is slowing the car by taking the car to about 10 MPH and then put into "N", let the car coast to a halt, if the car slows to stop smoothly, everything OK, but if the car stops a bit quickly, (like if you applied the brake slightly) then something is catching, maybe the brakes.

BR

Paul

I get on average about 20 - 25 MPG on a combination of Motorway and country lanes, do an average of 50 Mls a day.

Is there any vibration from the steering - maybe the tracking is out dragging the wheels rather than a smooth run.

You could also check to see if anything is slowing the car by taking the car to about 10 MPH and then put into "N", let the car coast to a halt, if the car slows to stop smoothly, everything OK, but if the car stops a bit quickly, (like if you applied the brake slightly) then something is catching, maybe the brakes.

BR

Paul

Thanks for that Paul.

The steering is fine - i'll try the coasting stop and see.

I dod wonder about the tyre pressures there seems to be varying advice on the correct pressures to use I have 245/40/18 on the front and 275/35/18 on the rear. I've been using 32psi in all!

Any help would be appreciated

Hi,

I get about 20 mpg round town and low 30s on a steady run,so your car starts and runs fine?just the mpg is the problem? sounds like a sensor is playing up,could be a lamba sensor causing the car to over fuel?

As to your tyre pressures ive similar size tyres and i run 40 psi on the front and 35 psi on the rear and the tyres wear even across the tyre,putting a bit more pressure in your tyres will give you abit better mpg.

Cheers chips.

your tyre pressures are not too low so it's not that. I seem to get between 22 and 25 mpg out of mine, if your sitting in traffic it's going to make a big difference to cruising at 65 on a motorway. So will 90 mph on a motorway. Running the AC constantly will cost you a few mpg. Have you checked the obvious like air filter ?

Nowt wrong with my little world. i might have put the wrong point or opinion across, i'd have been on the Beer at 9 am :) (work nights)

any way, like previous said, check the air filter, maybe reset the ecu, when was the last time it was serviced?, EG plugs? ha the lpg conversion been done correctly

pressure in my tires is 33 all round, just for comparison

i mensioned the fiesta, as the gs isnt what you would call a fuel sensible car, u dont buy a car of this size and weight and then complain the fuel economy is crap :) it wasnt my intension to be obrupt or sarcastic

Steve

Nowt wrong with my little world. i might have put the wrong point or opinion across, i'd have been on the Beer at 9 am :) (work nights)

any way, like previous said, check the air filter, maybe reset the ecu, when was the last time it was serviced?, EG plugs? ha the lpg conversion been done correctly

pressure in my tires is 33  all round, just for comparison

i mensioned the fiesta, as the gs isnt what you would call a fuel sensible car, u dont buy a car of this size and weight and then complain the fuel economy is crap :) it wasnt my intension to be obrupt  or sarcastic

Steve

Ok Steve point taken.

I'm not "complaining" about fuel economy just that I've noticed many others are returning between 22-25 mpg that's at least 30% better then me and I can get that so much the better. I love the car as it is but if I could make it better why not?Car recently serviced at Toyota dealer, plugs air filter changed, I reset the ecu as shown elsewhere on this forum. The mpg is not just with the LPG as the petrol returms the same figure - checking from full to full. ;)

i had a mk3 supra (3.0L tubby) before this, and found the fuel consumption to be that of a sherman tank , in comparison to the others it was using 2 times as much, in the end it turned out to be a corroded fuel line , it was seeping the fuel out like ur self i had checked everything

Steve

On a long run the most I've ever got is 27mpg, on average I get 25 which includes a lot of fast A road driving. If I'm doing a lot of stop start driving I can get down to the high teens and you cn see the fuel needle dropping :crybaby:

Has anyone else noticed that they get a better MPG at a steady 100 mph over a steady 70 mph?

On a long run the most I've ever got is 27mpg, on average I get 25 which includes a lot of fast A road driving. If I'm doing a lot of stop start driving I can get down to the high teens and you cn see the fuel needle dropping  :crybaby:

Has anyone else noticed that they get a better MPG at a steady 100 mph over a steady 70 mph?

I always used to think that the optimum speed for economy in most standard saloon cars was around 75mph. Not the Lex though - seems to perform better over the legal limit as you say MAC.

I also have noted that using the higher octane unleaded works wonders. During last weeks fuel fiasco I had to run my tank almost dry, ran on the yellow light for over a day doing short runs. When I found a garage with fuel the pump I stopped at only had the higher octane unleaded so I thought, sod it i'll fill it up. Was only about 1.5p/litre more.

Went on a run today and the car went like a rocket! I have tried Optimax and the BP equivalent but have not really noticed any difference.

Any one else had similar experience/ No appreciable difference in consumption and the very slight pinking I used to have on acelleration is not evident any more.

Tended to just stick with the bog standard petrol, tried the optimax and never noticed any difference. That said the difference between the two has dropped, it used to be about 8 pence more now it's about 2 pence.

I've never had any pinking on regular unleaded, in fact the engine is still soooooo smooth and I've now got over 115,000 miles on the clocks. Still catches you out when you think the engine is off and it's running.

>Car recently serviced at Toyota dealer, plugs air filter changed, I reset the ecu >as shown elsewhere on this forum. The mpg is not just with the LPG as the petrol >returms the same figure - checking from full to full. ;)

I suffered from 15mpg around town for 3 years, during which time the car was serviced by Lexus and Toyota dealers. I also took the car to two different Lexus dealers complaining about the problem but they found nothing.

I eventually discovered the cause when the engine started missing. You know what it was? The rotor arm was burned to a frazzle - the cap had never been off the distributor since the car was built (96,000 miles on the clock now).

A new rotor arm cost me £7 and now I'm getting 20mpg around town. Might be worth a shot. And it's worth bearing in mind that your service dealer is very unlikely to ever check the rotor arm no matter how much he charges for a service.

Stevie

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links