Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Es 300 Blown Head Gasket Part 2

roger H

If you read the previous discussion on this subject back in May---Here is Part 2!!

After the head was skimmed I put the car back on the road a couple of weeks ago. After a short time I experienced the same symptons as the original problem i.e.coolant being expelled through the pressure cap back into the overflow tank.

Went back to the mechanic to discuss reasons----he checked the coolant for traces of exhaust and declared that it was positive and we must have a crack in the head which opens up when hot-----temporary solution? Use Holts Wonder Weld.

I went home to start stripping down to get the heads pressure tested, at the same time still puzzling over it.

Just out of curiosity I borrowed the rad. cap from wife's car and BINGO no leakeage. I then examined my pressure cap and found a minute nick in the rubber seal. All is ok now with new cap.

Lesson----if you have your coolant checked for possible head gasket blown and the mechanic says " oh yes sir definatetly exhaust in the coolant, that will be £1200 to skim and replace " GET SECOND OPINION and examine your pressure caps minutely They only cost £10 or so.

Roger H

Just out of curiosity I borrowed the rad. cap from wife's car and BINGO no leakeage. I then examined my pressure cap and found a minute nick in the rubber seal. All is ok now with new cap.

Lesson----if you have your coolant checked for possible head gasket blown and the mechanic says " oh yes sir definatetly exhaust in the coolant, that will be £1200 to skim and replace " GET SECOND OPINION and examine your pressure caps minutely They only cost £10 or so.

Wow, I'd have been having words with them for performing unnecessary work on the car, in view of getting a refund!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
If you read the previous discussion on this subject back in May---Here is Part 2!!

After the head was skimmed I put the car back on the road a couple of weeks ago. After a short time I experienced the same symptons as the original problem i.e.coolant being expelled through the pressure cap back into the overflow tank.

Went back to the mechanic to discuss reasons----he checked the coolant for traces of exhaust and declared that it was positive and we must have a crack in the head which opens up when hot-----temporary solution? Use Holts Wonder Weld.

I went home to start stripping down to get the heads pressure tested, at the same time still puzzling over it.

Roger H

the dealer said my waterpump is bad so it caused the engine to over heat which blew the head gasket. So currently there is coolant burning with my gas which makes the engine really weak. the weird thing is i was driving the car when the engine started acting funny and the engine never overheated . The engine actually started acting funny after a fillup 2 miles from the gas station. At first the dealer thought it was bad gas because i'm having multiple misfires, but after further testing they think its the head gasket so they need to open it up and take a peek.

I don't feel like spending that much money to fix my car and i was wondering which cap it was that i should check ? is it the radiator cap? could you take a picture of it so i know which one? thanks

Hi Tupac,

Tour symptoms appear different to mine---I had coolant coming out of the radiator cap when the engine was warmed up and the system pressurised. the test was for exhaust in the coolant (supposedly)

If you have head gasket gone and water leak that way you should have the following symptoms--

a. coolant loss

b. steam and or water being expelled from the exhaust pipe (even when engine warmed up)

c. coolant in the engine oil

d. engine overheats due to lack of coolant

The kit to replace gaskets is not too expensive nor is skimming the heads, the labour is the high cost, but with a little patience it can be done at home. I was lucky to find a local mechanic who did the job at sensible price.

Regards RogerH

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links