Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Damn Bmw

Before I went down to the lexus dealer I decided to go to the BMW dealer (BIG MISTAKE)

I had a look around the new 7series and boy was it luxourious, I later went to the lexus dealer and had a sit in the RX and it didnt come close to the bmw.

it just looked so cheap compared to the lexus

Please someone talk me out of the BMW

Before I went down to the lexus dealer I decided to go to the BMW dealer (BIG MISTAKE)

I had a look around the new 7series and boy was it luxourious, I later went to the lexus dealer and had a sit in the RX and it didnt come close to the bmw.

Not exactly like for like though, is it? A BMW 7 series should be compared to an LS and an RX300 to a BMW X5.

well yes, but i didnt say they where like for like, they are just 2 cars i was interested in, and i dont rally like the ls, its very dated

I understand that you may be unhappy with the quality of an RX but I thought that your disappointment was based on comparing it to the undoubted luxury of a new BMW 7 series. There would be very few cars in the world that could compare to that one. An X5 is a different kettle of fish as is an RX300. However if you are in the market for a new car and your shortlist contains a luxury saloon and a 4X4 then I doubt that anybody could talk you into a Lexus given that you don't like the LS.

funnily enough i don't like the bmw 1 series, it looks like a shoe.

Its a pretty comfortable shoe. I just traded my IS200SE in for a 116iSport. I wanted a hatch and I really rate it. Ok I know Clarkson doesn't like it but we all have our preferences. :duh:

spose ur right, saw this nice modded 1 series the other day

BMW 116i

I made the mistake in buying a BMW 5 series (2004) and NEVER again will I do it again. The extras do really make a big difference, you need to add at least 8K worth of extras to take advantage of it's luxury.

I bought the car for 34K and part-exchanged it one year later for a value of 24K :crybaby:

Although the BMW might look good at first sight, they pay little attention to the fine usability details. It's SATNAV/computer really sucks compared to the Lexus's. Also small things such as CD memory being erased each time you turn off your car (i.e. your CD starts from the beginning). The list goes on....

GO FOR THE LEXUS

BMW == :yack:

The new BMW 7 Series looks :sick: how you say the LS looks dated I never know but its down to taste I guess. Through my own experience I can vouch for the LS being every bit luxurious! Rear messagers, drinks chiller, individual climate control etc etc, lovely car! :D

And the 4.3 power plant sounds lush!

funnily enough i don't like the bmw 1 series, it looks like a shoe.

Its a pretty comfortable shoe. I just traded my IS200SE in for a 116iSport. I wanted a hatch and I really rate it. Ok I know Clarkson doesn't like it but we all have our preferences. :duh:

spose ur right, saw this nice modded 1 series the other day

BMW 116i

Don't get me wrong. I still rate Lexus very highly and I think their aftersales service is second to none. Just felt like a hatch for a while. Will probably return for a nearly new diesel IS in 3-4 yrs time. Its good to try another marque as, after experiences show , the Lexus people are at the top of the tree.

:D Have a look at the new audi A8 tdi, I just bought one. WOW. B)

Hello guys, lots of new peeps on this site since I last visited. I sold my 04 RX300 SEL and bought an X5 4.8iS. Basically because I fancied a big engine before the fuel prices forced us all to buy a Micra.

The X5 is rock solid, it feels like its made of better stuff than the RX but thats subjective. Hasn't stopped me from getting bored with it and now I can't decide what to buy.

The BM 7 series is a superb vehicle once you get past I-drive but does that thing depreciate!!!! I couldn't bring myself to buy one it would be like throwing cash onto the fire.

Big saloons in my opinion are best bought and run by big companies with big pockets. 4X4's, Estates/Sports Tourers, MPV, Convertibles, Sport Hatches are safer places for your money.

Its not fair to say, 'Don't buy BMW' as they generally make excellent cars.

I still have no idea what to buy next!!!

As you can see from my signature I am a BMW lover, however you really can't compare the 7 series with the RX. They aren't in the same league.

That being said, I have owned a number of 7 series BMW's including an '01 750il, an '02 745i and an '03 745li. While these cars remain the ultimate driving machine, everything after that falls short in the cars built after the model change in '01. My '02 745 was exchanged for an '03 by the dealer after a year of not being able to solve it's software problems. The '03 was traded away by me after a year of suffering through it's software issues (though not as severe as the first one). Even when the software is working correctly, the i(diot)drive interface is one of the least intuitive systems I have ever encountered. It is cumbersome and distracting. It forces you to go through multiple iterations to accomplish simple tasks (like changing a radio station or the temperature).

However, if you love to drive and don't care about listening to the radio or what the temperature is, then this is the car for you. It handles and accelerates better than any sedan (or I believe you call them saloons) I have ever owned.

On the other hand, the RX400h is the first Lexus I've ever owned and I'm very impressed with the competence of the car. It has a tremdous amount of power, excellent handling (except for the torque steer from the front wheel drive during hard acceleration) and great economy. The software is very well designed (though here in the US they disable many of the phone and navigation functions when the car is in motion which is dumb).

Hopefully, that should talk you out of the BMW purchase. Now if you were talking about an M3 or an M5, this conversation would take a different turn.

I don't get it, RX300 or 7 series BMW, thats like comparing a 1.1LX Fiesta for £7000 to a Mondeo ST220 for £23000 and saying the fiesta is a bit sluggish by comparison, as it says above, you have to compare like for like.

:duh: I'm with you harlowrog, what has a BMW 7series to do with a RX300. Seems a strange comparison.

my opinion is slightly different. Buying cars, particularly luxury cars, is no longer a rational decision: we buy a car because we LIKE it, and we LIKE the way we feel when we drive it. Otherwise we'd all be driving a Corolla...

I'd never thought about driving a SUV, then I saw an RX and the morning after I could not think of anything else (guess you know the feeling)

So, to me, there's nothing strange in comparing the 7 series and the lexxy: they're both large, comfortable and luxurious.

If our friend Gas has a crush for the 7, I think he should go and get it (lucky you!), regardless of the fact that it might depreciate or any other consideration: I'm pretty sure his mind is already made up.