Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre Wear

Mark Phillips

:angry:

Does anyone have a problem with excessive tyre wear on the IS300??

I have had to have 2 new sets of tyres on the front of the vehicle and one set on the back after 6000 miles per set. Is this normal??

The inside edge of the tyres go bald before the majority of the tread has got to below 6mm.

I have approached Lexus before and they say that the cars need to have regular computerised 4 wheel alignment checks but how often at £50 per time??

Most of my cars in the past have had tyres replaced after 30000 miles plus.

I would be interested if anyone has the same problem because I intend to take legal action to recover costs amounting to £600 plus thus far.

Thanks,

Mark.

You have something wrong there ............ no need to replace them so often !

I'd suggest you get a full geometry check done on your wheels .........

Tony will be along shortly, I'm sure .........

I have had to have 2 new sets of tyres on the front of the vehicle and one set on the back after 6000 miles per set. Is this normal??

The inside edge of the tyres go bald before the majority of the tread has got to below 6mm.

I have approached Lexus before and they say that the cars need to have regular computerised 4 wheel alignment checks but how often at £50 per time??

I would be interested if anyone has the same problem because I intend to take legal action to recover costs amounting to £600 plus thus far.

Thanks,

Mark.

There is a problem with the 'dynamic' geometry on the IS200 and IS300, you can go back to Lexus every week and they will not solve it for you! reason is that all dealers have to respect the 'Lexus' set-up, but this is in error.

If you track back here in 'Wheels and Tyres' you will see how to resolve your problem........ if not send me a PM and i will :D

• 1 month later...

hey mark - i have not been online for months, but i had the same problem and went nuts at lexus as they were just going to charge more and more money for not solving the problem. i got into very strong conversations with them and submitted formal complaints to their head office - they infuriated me by not acknowledging the problem.

i posted my issue on here and Mr Bones sorted me out....for a nominal fee too and it was an education. If you havent seen him, GO and SEE HIM!! My car drives so good and the new tyres have not worn a bit.

These lexus centres need to get their act together as they seem throwing money at the problem will solve it...esp when its not their money! w@nk3rs.

I still havent got mine sorted to, my front two tyres are also doin the same thing. Tony, how much is this geometry and fitting 2 new tyres? PM me if you like.

Time/date and funds available I need to get his done asap. But if in what you're saying by Lexus still not correctly setting this up, does that mean other garages follow the same guidlines and therefore are incorrect to?

Im in Leics, how far roughly are you?

Kaz :)

I still havent got mine sorted to, my front two tyres are also doin the same thing. Tony, how much is this geometry and fitting 2 new tyres? PM me if you like.

Time/date and funds available I need to get his done asap. But if in what you're saying by Lexus still not correctly setting this up, does that mean other garages follow the same guidlines and therefore are incorrect to?

Im in Leics, how far roughly are you?

Kaz :)

If click on my banner below, go into my site then 'trusted centres'. Those i have spoken to and they understand the problem. In addition you will see me there and the location.

If you have any 'wheel size or suspension mods then the geometry will have to be written for you ' if this is a 'yes i do' then email me all the details.

All other centres will go by the book... this distress has forced people to drive and have a ten round trip for me to resolve this repetitive wear issue, but you don't need to come to me, guidance and write ups cost 'nothing' for those here at LOC.

Hi Tony.

I've just put winter tyres on my IS300 SC and noticed the front 17" wheels I took off are showing this problem. The inside 1" of each tyre is bald, while all the rest of the tread is 5-6 mm, including the first major tread just 1.5 " from the inside edge. Car is standard. Tyres are Bridestone Potenza's on which I've done 12,000 miles since buying the car.

Given all the correspondence about Lexus being unable to fix this, I'd rather take it to a trusted dealer to get it sorted. However, the closest to me is in Oldham, a mere 400 miles from me.

Do you know anyone north of the border I could try, please?

Many thanks,

IanB :D

Hi Tony.

I've just put winter tyres on my IS300 SC and noticed the front 17" wheels I took off are showing this problem. The inside 1" of each tyre is bald, while all the rest of the tread is 5-6 mm, including the first major tread just 1.5 " from the inside edge. Car is standard. Tyres are Bridestone Potenza's on which I've done 12,000 miles since buying the car.

Given all the correspondence about Lexus being unable to fix this, I'd rather take it to a trusted dealer to get it sorted. However, the closest to me is in Oldham, a mere 400 miles from me.

Many thanks,

No sorry mate, only those on my site. The SC normally is quite resistant to the tyre wear problem so there must be a real issue with yours. If needs be i can write a 'safe set-up' for you to take where ever?

• 2 weeks later...

I start to worry about the uneven tyre wear after reading this post. My IS200 was built on 06/2005 with couple thousand miles on the ODO meter so far but can not tell the uneven wear. Does the error of the 'dynamic' geometry still exist on my IS200 or how can I tell whether my IS was setup with the correct geometry. Is there anything I should do before the uneven wear occur ? Thanks in advanced for any experts advice.

I start to worry about the uneven tyre wear after reading this post. My IS200 was built on 06/2005 with couple thousand miles on the ODO meter so far but can not tell the uneven wear. Does the error of the 'dynamic' geometry still exist on my IS200 or how can I tell whether my IS was setup with the correct geometry. Is there anything I should do before the uneven wear occur ? Thanks in advanced for any experts advice.

I'd just go and get a geo check done anyway............... at least you know if everything is correct or not :huh:

I'd just go and get a geo check done anyway............... at least you know if everything is correct or not :huh:

Solid Advice

• 4 years later...

Thanks,

Mark.

There is a problem with the 'dynamic' geometry on the IS200 and IS300, you can go back to Lexus every week and they will not solve it for you! reason is that all dealers have to respect the 'Lexus' set-up, but this is in error.

If you track back here in 'Wheels and Tyres' you will see how to resolve your problem........ if not send me a PM and i will :D

Hi I have an iS200SE, i have gone through 18 front tyres in 3 years and 40k, with 3 major geometry checks and loads of tracking. I believe I have sorted it out thanks to WIM and my local garage man. The main rubbers on the swinging arm bushes and the front trailing bushes are not strong enough. At rest and having the geometry checked with the wheel on the road they appear to be fine. When driving however the bushes are not strong enough to hold the front wheels in the correct alignment and so they deflect out slightly as the road undulates and cause excessive inner tyre wear, and the car to waver all over the place, which can be a bit scary if you like to drive a bit fast.

Change the bushes to heavy duty rally performance bushes, I think I got them from PIR in the West midlands, then set the geometry as WIM settings and feel the difference immediately. Handles like a dream, sharp taught and responsive, good straight line stuff even when braking hard. The new bushes are reinforced with an inner steel ring and use a much harder rubber.

I have only recently had this done so I will keep a close eye on the tyres, but no inner tyre wear yet.

P.S also up the tyre pressures by a few pounds.

Lexus know all about it, they just deny it.It is common on the is200, probably the same on the 300.

Bobby the Fish

Hi Tony.

Many thanks,

No sorry mate, only those on my site. The SC normally is quite resistant to the tyre wear problem so there must be a real issue with yours. If needs be i can write a 'safe set-up' for you to take where ever?

• 1 year later...

I have just read all the above posts and find them very interesting. I was looking for some answers to my problem which is tyre wear on the outer edges on the front and rear tyres of my '08 IS250. Bought from Lexus with their assurance that the vehicle is thoroughly checked for faults before selling, they confirmed the geometry would have been checked at this time and is correct, after querying it with them following 2nd 10K service. There was some wear on the front outer edges when purchased, but the rear tyres at this time were not showing any wear. Now 10k further on the rears are showing wear on the outer edges. As you may know, all the tyres are directional and cannot be swopped over or front to back as they are a different sizes.

There are three questions which I would like to ask. According to the handbook, the front and rear tyres have different pressures and my local Lexus dealer are happy to check this whenever I call in, which is great. What I have noticed however, when checked by my pressure gauge, it does not read the same. So, assuming my gauge is incorrect, I go to my local Tesco and use their machine for convenience. Different again. We are only talking about a few pounds diffence but how much of a difference does it have to be before there is excessive wear caused by incorrect pressure?

If we assume the Lexus dealers gauges are calibrated regularly and correct, I wondered if it could be caused by the computer controlled stability when cornering. This car has amazing road holding and does not flinch when cornering hard, but does this also cause extra wear on the outer edges?

Finally, I have been told that once this wear is apparent and even if the geometry is corrected, the wear will still be proportionate on the outer edges and there is no advantage. Is it possible however, to changes the tyres over on the rims, to counter the wear on the outer edges if it is being caused by the electronic stability control?

I would be greatful for your comments.

Tyre pressures generally only effect tyre wear in 3 ways, correct pressures produce even wear across the width of the tyre,over inflated tyres cause more wear to the centre tread area and under inflated tyres cause more wear to both sides of the tread area so tyre pressure will not cause tread wear to the outer edges of the tyre only.

The only cause of this is incorrect geometry and a proper alignment check might be the answer unless of course you do a lot of fast cornering in one direction only.

I don't know where you live and WIM don't seem to get mentioned on here these days but the contact link is below

http://www.blackboots.co.uk/contact-blackboots.php

• 1 month later...

Hi

My IS200 Sport appears to be going through tyres on the NSR at an alarming rate. I thought it was the tyre type initally, so I fitted a decent pair of part worn to the rear as a test (I didn't want to fit brand new if there was an issue) and within 3000 miles or so, the NSR has worn down - starting with the outside edge. My fronts are fine - I had the trackrod end replaced in Feb this year on the NSF, as that was picked up during the MOT and I've had no problems there.

Any immediate ideas on what could be causing the rapid tyre wear? If not, does anyone know of a decent garage (or anyone) in the Peterborough/Huntingdon/Cambridge area that knows IS200s and would be able to have a look and (hopefully) sort the issue out? I can't really afford to throw money away in tyres at present and my wife and I have recently bought our first house and spent almost a grand sorting out the central heating & roof.

Thanks in advance!

Historically the suggested rear settings work fine, it reads to me the camber or toe angles are displaced, a simple geometry will take care of that.

Thanks for the response Tony, would somewhere like, for example ATS, be alright to carry out such a thing?