Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx400 And Congestion Charge - Yes And No...

According to my dealer (Lexus Park Lane) at least 2 RX400h owners have managed to get exemption from the congesiton charge.

It's absolutely impossible to get a straight answer from the congestion charging people on the phone. They say all you can do is apply and see what happens.

The RX400 is NOT listed as an exempt vehicle on the Energy Saving Trust site which holds the master list for congestion charging discounts/exemptions.

So I guess the only thing to do is to apply and see what happens.

Just wondered whether anyone here had had any luck?

All the best,

Martin

P.S. Lexus GB took three days to call me back with a comment. they said they thought it would be exempt for the coming year, then not exempt when Ken tightens everything up and the zone is extended. But they won't be quoted on it, preusmably becasue they're terrified of being sued for misrepresentation.

I have to say I'm very disappointed with Lexus for not getting a truly clear line on this.

According to my dealer (Lexus Park Lane) at least 2 RX400h owners have managed to get exemption from the congesiton charge.

It's absolutely impossible to get a straight answer from the congestion charging people on the phone. They say all you can do is apply and see what happens.

The RX400 is NOT listed as an exempt vehicle on the Energy Saving Trust site which holds the master list for congestion charging discounts/exemptions.

So I guess the only thing to do is to apply and see what happens.

Just wondered whether anyone here had had any luck?

All the best,

Martin

P.S. Lexus GB took three days to call me back with a comment.  they said they thought it would be exempt for the coming year, then not exempt when Ken tightens everything up and the zone is extended.  But they won't be quoted on it, preusmably becasue they're terrified of being sued for misrepresentation.

I have to say I'm very disappointed with Lexus for not getting a truly clear line on this.

Sounds more like the london council not giving a clear line...not Lexus.

they will always hit problems with letting a big 4x4 in as a ecologiclally friendly car...

Not so quickly!  In a recent referendum the Edinburgh population votes 75% NO!  Woot!

Yeah, right that will make a difference!

How many people voted against the extension last year, somewhere arounf 80% I seem to remember. So what happens? Ken says b*****ks and a year later wastes another few million £ of our money on new questionaires asking more or less the same questions as last year. And his intent, regardless of what is said in these questionaires, is already decided, and we know what that is. Perhaps once Ken takes his own children on the London public transport he'll see how difficult it is to use. e.g. London buses are only allowed to carry one buggy (not collapsed) on the bus. So if you have two young children and you want to travel on the bus during the week and say another mother is on the bus with a buggy you have to fold it up. This means putting the child who can't walk or stand yet on the seat whilst the bus driver is driving in thie usual maniac fashion. After collapsing the buggy you then put both of the children on your lap for an hour or so each way. Yeah you want to try that one sometime Ken! And if yo have more than two children??

Apologies for the rant.

br

D

Nice rant Damian!  Bet that made you feel better!

This may help with London traffic problems

Help in London Traffic

:winky:

Hi John,

thanks for the tip.

In fact I neglected to say in my rant that we have just this week moved out of London. :D The issue of public transport and parking outside your home being just some of the reasons.

br

D

:D

Hi all,

I just logged on to post again about the lurching and saw this string.

Very good.

Particularly liked the link to help with London traffic.

Guess who has just bought a flat in London?????

It's great, my son who rents it from us as he works in the city, gets to use the car parking space (we paid extra for it of course, just about the same cost as a small house in Scotland) and so whenever I go to see him I have to pick up the £20 parking fee........something wrong in the pecking order somewhere!

As I have to pay to traverse London I tend to take my AM there and say S** it to Ken.

Michael.

I have now recievd an official letter from Congestion Charging London to tell me that the RX400 is NOT an approved vehicle for congestion charge discount.

So much for that then.

Still can't understand why Lexus GB think it is eligible and my Lexus dealer says he knows at least two people who have successfully claimed for discounts on the RX400.

All seems most odd....

Martin

I have now recievd an official letter from Congestion Charging London to tell me that the RX400 is NOT an approved vehicle for congestion charge discount.

So much for that then.

Still can't understand why Lexus GB think it is eligible and my Lexus dealer says he knows at least two people who have successfully claimed for discounts on the RX400.

All seems most odd....

I've been having the same conversation with my dealer as well, since the sales rep indicated that it was exempted. I subsequently spoke to Transport for London, and depending on who you speak to you tend to get a different answer. I also spoke to the folks that maintain the official "list" (PowerShift register) and they said that it is NOT on the list, although the vehicle certainly meets (and exceeds) the requirements to be on the list. The reason they state that it is not on the list is because Lexus has not applied to put the vehicle on the list in the first place.

The other weird thing is that to be placed on the list, they don't seem to take into consideration the fact that a vehicle could be conceivably MANUFACTURERED specifically with the alternative power source, with no suitable non-alternative powered version available. Part of the testing involves comparing the "modified" vehicle with a "standard" version. I don't really consider that the RX300 would be a suitable comparison to the RX400h by any stretch of the imagination other than in appearance. Under the bonnet there are far too many differences to be a good comparison for such a test, and it would, IMNSHO, be like comparing apples and walnuts.

Meanwhile, the mystery continues ... it does appear that there have been a few RX400h owners who have successfully applied for the exemption, and even TforL can't seem to make up their minds about it. Lexus dealers, however, seem adamant that it *is* exempt, while PowerShift say that it's currently NOT but can be if Lexus apply for it to be added to the register.

The interest for me is purely academic anyway, since I very RARELY venture into London by car. (Come to think of it, I don't think that I've actually gone into London by car since BEFORE the cash-cow-stealth-tax ... erm.. I mean congestion "charge" came into force...)

Leland

Just to update on this one, my dealer are in the process of applying for the exemption for their 400h demonstrator, in an attempt to get a definitive answer.

Will keep you posted.

Leland

:driving:

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

My dealer's application for their demonstrator was DECLINED. It seems that there have been three dealers which have gotten the exemption approved, but TFL have put a block on any future applications because the RX400h is not listed on the powershift register. Having spoken with the guy at Powershift, the vehicle meets and indeed exceeds the requirements to be listed, but to be listed it requires a vehicle inspection which must be funded by Lexus GB (and it currently doesn't look as though Lexus GB are willing to go through with that...)

Even worse is that the inspection is a comparative test, whereby the vehicle is tested by comparing it to a "non modified" version of the vehicle. There are significant differences between the RX300 and RX400h so as to make such a comparison be like comparing apples and earthworms.

In short, no exemption.

Hope this helps.

Leland

The guy from Powershift told me that the vehicle (to qualify) must be 40% lower CO2 than the equivalent "non modified version"... it's a comparative test rather than a test against a standard emmissions figure.

L.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links