Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Doctor, Doctor, Can I Have A Prescription?

Mark D

Hello Tony,

I went today to get my car re-adjusted. When I first spoke to the young technician, I explained that I wanted the camber adjusted - he told me that the camber won't adjustable on my car - obviously I corrected him and he rechecked the computer to find it was. (at this point I thought "well that explains why it wasn't done right) I explained that I wanted the camber adjusted to -37' and then the toe corrected.

I left him to adjust and after a while he gave up and called the supervisor who then spent time trying to get all sections green. Over all they spent about an hour trying to adjust the car. I was then called out to the car and he showed me the adjustment, and how he couldn't get all three green. If he adjusted the camber green then the toe had to go red to get the caster correct, and vice versa. I asked him to do a Caster swing, but he said there was no point, as the screen reported the angles live and the caster swing was only needed for updating the printout.

I talked him through some adjustments and he let me have the car set up as I wanted it.

Not knowing what I was doing I asked for the Toe to be matched to the NSF (-3') and the camber to be matched to the NSF (now both -41').

This unfortunatley left my caster angle at 8degrees  - which I now know causes alot of pull to the left.

After he finished he shut the machine down without doing a print out - so I have no nice picture to show you -sorry

But I plan to go to a different dealer in the next few weeks to get the geometry done again. But before signing up, I be asking a few questions first.

Thank you for your help along the way. I'm taking ownership of a new house tomorow, so I'm not sure how soon I'll be able to revisit this.

Thanks for doing that for me Zee

That PM is a '***** poor' example of the industries understanding of geometry, even with all the armour in mind Mark still couldnt get the results.

Reading between the lines this geometry was at a Lexus Dealership :ohmy:

With luck the 'next' company with understand the procedure, if not with luck they will except some 'friendly help' from me for Mark?

I'm sure Mark wont mind if i expose the content of the pm. Today he is moving house and i don't want the content to go cold!

Don't mind a bit.

And no Colin, I didn't get a refund - I couldn't really say anything since I didn't know what to tell him to say he was wrong, and he did let me decide what way the Camber and toe were set (mistake on my part for asking :blink: )

Maybe when I get it sorted (at a different Centre) I could write to the company explaining that my tracking was not set right and ask for a refund.

For some reason, it is not as expensive over here for the Geometry - I was quoted £35 and got charged £30 since I bought 4 18" SP9000's at the same time.

Thanks all for your concerns - and Thanks again Tony for your relentless support.

This world needs more Tony's :D

Scary pm!... really 'scary!'

Actual content belongs to Mark D.

It would seem that armed with knowledge coursed some panic and now things are worse.

'To be continued'.......

Not to worry - as discussed, I'll seek out a tyre center who is willing to cooperate with me - and we can take things from there :)

'INDEED'

And how are you on Ser 3 LS400s??!! I got my checking done when having other work done, plus had new tyres fitted (externally). Lexus told me the adjusters were seized/rusted up, and it was a 'suck it and see' situation regarding time it would take to loosen then, if it was possible at all! When they said £500 to £1000 variability, I took the mechanics (Private) advice that, if it was him, he'd just move the tyres about periodically, as new tyres were cheaper!

Looks like you'l be on here for ever, as we all get concerned! Good to have someone who CARES, AND knows his stuff. Long may you prosper!

Scary pm!... really 'scary!'

Actual content belongs to Mark D.

It would seem that armed with knowledge coursed some panic and now things are worse.

'To be continued'.......

Not to worry - as discussed, I'll seek out a tyre center who is willing to cooperate with me - and we can take things from there :)

'INDEED'

And how are you on Ser 3 LS400s??!! I got my checking done when having other work done, plus had new tyres fitted (externally). Lexus told me the adjusters were seized/rusted up, and it was a 'suck it and see' situation regarding time it would take to loosen then, if it was possible at all! When they said £500 to £1000 variability, I took the mechanics (Private) advice that, if it was him, he'd just move the tyres about periodically, as new tyres were cheaper!

Looks like you'l be on here for ever, as we all get concerned! Good to have someone who CARES, AND knows his stuff. Long may you prosper!

:blush: Thank You kind sir

Some possible good news Tony - I've been told by a guy on a local forum that one of our large independant tyre centres let him pay for the alignment and do it him self.

If they let some one do that, then they should be open to cronstructive input to a geometry session.

Some possible good news Tony - I've been told by a guy on a local forum that one of our large independant tyre centres let him pay for the alignment and do it him self.

If they let some one do that, then they should be open to cronstructive input to a geometry session.

WOW that's a new one..... reads very good. What i would like you to do if its ok with you is this.

1: allow me to write the procedure and the settings

2: give me notice for the adjustment day

3: i will then book the day off work and provide a 'live link' for you and the centre.

This is not a problem i have done the same for Anees and Mr Morse, i said i would help and i stand by my word....... to the end!

WOW that's a new one..... reads very good. What i would like you to do if its ok with you is this.

1: allow me to write the procedure and the settings

2: give me notice for the adjustment day

3: i will then book the day off work and provide a 'live link' for you and the centre.

This is not a problem i have done the same for Anees and Mr Morse, i said i would help and i stand by my word....... to the end!

:ohmy: That is too generous of an offer - I couldn't have you booking a day off work, could I not pay STS for your time, just for the duration of the set up. I'd be just like a normal customer to them, except you'd be dealing with me on the phone. No point in wasting a days holiday for the sake of an hour.

It would probably be an industry first.

:ohmy: That is too generous of an offer - I couldn't have you booking a day off work, could I not pay STS for your time, just for the duration of the set up. I'd be just like a normal customer to them, except you'd be dealing with me on the phone. No point in wasting a days holiday for the sake of an hour.

Naaaah, i get 30 days holiday a year ( six weeks ) one day is no loss. all i need from you is as much notice as possible, or i can write the procedure for you to take.

The time factor for the geometry on average is 1 hour 30 min, with the link i had with Mr Morse his geometry took, as i remember about 4 hours, talking the company through it.... so as you see i cannot support you if i were at STS, but i can 100% here at home :D

Today i set an IS that had European Castor positions, it needed small front camber correction, before adjusting i mentioned you and the Castor problem and i said 'watch how i correct' this non-adjustable Castor, end of job cambers re-set/ Castor's re-set 'UK' positions / toe re-set....

Let me know :D

• 2 weeks later...

Naaaah, i get 30 days holiday a year ( six weeks ) one day is no loss. all i need from you is as much notice as possible, or i can write the procedure for you to take.

The time factor for the geometry on average is 1 hour 30 min, with the link i had with Mr Morse his geometry took, as i remember about 4 hours, talking the company through it.... so as you see i cannot support you if i were at STS, but i can 100% here at home :D

Today i set an IS that had European Castor positions, it needed small front camber correction, before adjusting i mentioned you and the Castor problem and i said 'watch how i correct' this non-adjustable Castor, end of job cambers re-set/ Castor's re-set 'UK' positions / toe re-set....

Hello again

Not been on here for a while due to house move - lots of work still going on because I moved in to an empty shell, but I have got agreement from a tyre place that I can have phone guidance for a geometry session.

I hope to get somthing organised soon - would it suit you better if I could get it done on a Saturday?

Hello again

Not been on here for a while due to house move - lots of work still going on because I moved in to an empty shell, but I have got agreement from a tyre place that I can have phone guidance for a geometry session.

I hope to get somthing organised soon - would it suit you better if I could get it done on a Saturday?

A week day is better, reason being most members here tend to book in on a Saturday.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links