Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx400h Se-l Technology

Hi,

I have just ordered a new RX400h SE-L. Took a test drive, very excited to get it next month. One of the main points I like about the car is the technology which leaves BMW far behind at the moment. However,

A few things concerned me though reading some of the posts. Am I correct in thinking that the phone book cannot be accessed while the vehicle is moving ? If this is the case, then this would defeat the point in me having a carkit as I will more than likely reach for the handset. Can the voice commands dial from the phonebook ?

Also I am interested in being able to watch the DVD on the main front screen. There are plenty of valid reasons for this as a previous post here suggested. Waiting for my girlfriend shopping, waiting to get on the ferry to Ireland which takes 2 hours and I do quite a bit. There was a cable I got for my old BMW which could bypass this. Also I am interested in connecting an Ipod to the system as the FM transmitter method is not very good especially when travelling long distances (the frequency constantly needs changing) so a direct connection would be nice.

Can anyone help with these queries and suggest somewhere to take the car to have this type of work done. I looked on the internet but everywhere seems to do stuff for BMW but not for Lexus.

Many thanks

Luppo.

Hi,

I can help with your first question only.

You are quite right, I'm afraid. If you're doing more than about 2 mph the contacts in your phone book disappear from the screen and you cannot dial out until you slow down again.

I often end up speed-dialling from the phone itself. Defeats the object somewhat, but better than not being able to make a call!

Needless to say you can receive calls at any time.

I don't know whether you can dial by voice. I guess that depends on your phone. My useless BlackBerry 7000 doesn't do voice-dialling under any circumstances. Whether something sensible like a Nokia can work with the Lexus system to voice-dial I don't know.

Can't help with your other questions I'm afraid.

By the way, I have had many, many complaints from people I've been speaking to from the car that they can't hear me very well. The microphone seems very poor, and I end up almost shouting (even when driving very slowly).

Don't think it's adjustable, either. A real disappointment , if I'm honest.

(Love everything else about the car, though!)

All the best,

Martin

i've had my rx400 2 months and am delighted. I've found the phone system excellent. I've had no problems with the mic or speaker and people seem to hear me very clearly.

Yes you cant access your phone book whilst mobile but this is for obvious safety reasons. You can however preset speed dial numbers - basically you press the phone button on the steering wheel and the speed dial page comes up automatically on the front screen. You then press the pre-programmed button once and your away. I'm not sure how many numbers can be pre-programmed like this but I find it more than adequate.

Hi,

I have just ordered a new RX400h SE-L. Took a test drive, very excited to get it next month. One of the main points I like about the car is the technology which leaves BMW far behind at the moment. However,

A few things concerned me though reading some of the posts. Am I correct in thinking that the phone book cannot be accessed while the vehicle is moving ? If this is the case, then this would defeat the point in me having a carkit as I will more than likely reach for the handset. Can the voice commands dial from the phonebook ?

Also I am interested in being able to watch the DVD on the main front screen. There are plenty of valid reasons for this as a previous post here suggested. Waiting for my girlfriend shopping, waiting to get on the ferry to Ireland which takes 2 hours and I do quite a bit. There was a cable I got for my old BMW which could bypass this. Also I am interested in connecting an Ipod to the system as the FM transmitter method is not very good especially when travelling long distances (the frequency constantly needs changing) so a direct connection would be nice.

Can anyone help with these queries and suggest somewhere to take the car to have this type of work done. I looked on the internet but everywhere seems to do stuff for BMW but not for Lexus.

Many thanks

Luppo.

i had long discussions about voice dialing using the Bluetooth connection with lexus europe. voice dialing is definetly not supported with the current version. so i decided to install a third party Bluetooth hands free car kit.

for ipod and video/DVD connections look at these http://www.vaistech.com/

regards

williz

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links