Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Noob From Australia

JoYBoY

How you going guys. There aren't many Lexus forums around in australia but i was lucky enough to find this one which i am glad i did because the 2 cars that i am interested in buying are sold over in the UK aswell. THe cars i am interested in buying within the next couple weeks are:

1) a new Honda accord Euro 2006 model or

2) a second hand IS200 2000 model.

They are very similar cars, with the accord having a more powerful engine, 143kw compared to 112 kw for the is200 and in terms of features they are almost identical, eg traction control, 6 stacker cd, sunroof, etc. Basically i just want a car thats reliable, 4 door obviously, and fun to drive.

THe benefit of getting the accord is that it will be brand new and i would get a 3 year factory warranty, however it will cost me $5000 (prob 2000 pounds?) extra. However i love the looks of the is200. Are there any reliability issues with second hand is200's? Are there things i should look out for? I have read that there are CD problems and the wheels are prone to scratching. I understand that the is200 is quite sluggish and drives very similar to a civic in straight line speed?

Any input would be great guys.

As far as I'm aware, there are no "known" reliability issues with the IS200. On some batches of wheels the alloys did corrode. There are a few of those who have experienced the CD Errors. Yes the Lexus is pretty slow, as a stock car.

I've not seen this Honda Accord, so i'm off to take a look, and i'll be back with my verdict later. :D

id vote for the IS over the accord (not just cos I have an IS). The problems with the wheels is not really an issue for us in asia, since our climate don't motivate the wheels to corrode. Regarding the stereo ... if you are lucky and dont run into the Err3 problem, then its a dream to listen to! ... even if you do come to that problem ... it can be easily swapped to a 2nd hand Altezza stereo .... you have a big altezza market in Aus, so no worries there.

With the IS, you get a much more special feeling ... in terms of luxury and design. Til this date, I still have yet to find a car interior (with the exception of the Audi TT) that beats the interior of an IS200 (assuming you get the one with the Sport pkg in the UK .... in HK, all IS are Sport).

Its a solid car ... and its a lexus... u can't go wrong.

A guy at work has the new Honda Accord (diesel version), must say its a nice motor, would I go for an Accord over the IS200...........difficult to say....

thanks for the replies. The reason why i am concerned about the power output of the Is200, is because my 2 previous cars were a 1997 Prelude VTIR and a Nissan S15 200sx and in terms of power output the IS200 is a big power downgrade but i accept that as its a luxury sports car rather than a pure sports car. Even so, the accord has an acceptable level of power, ie 143kw compared to the IS200's 112?. My dad drives the Accord euro (which is why im a bit reluctant to buy one, coz two in the family is just wrong) and i have driven his car many times and it feels terrific. I guess my main concern is being able to easily overtake ppl and getting out of sticky situations rather than using that power to be a hoon on the road.

I have sat in an IS200 and i understand tha 'special feeling' you are talking about. Its a lot more of a compact car, which would suit a little asian like me :-). I guess i have to go for a test drive in one this weekend to finally decide.

I'm off to OZ in April next year. Do they have the sportcross there? I'm thinking about transporting mine over if they don't.

What is sportcross? excuse my ignorance

Sounds like you don't have them then.

Its a 5 door IS200 with a 3Ltr engine.

Friend got 2005 Accord Euro Luxury edition compare to my 2001 IS200, IS200 is smoother ride, the sound system is better than the accord, apart from the engine and the cabinet size, IS200 is better.

Both make very good cars which are very reliable as im sure nobody would argue. Honda does not quite have the same prestige image as Lexus though. Test drive them both and see which fits your bill the most.

Friend got 2005 Accord Euro Luxury edition compare to my 2001 IS200, IS200 is smoother ride, the sound system is better than the accord, apart from the engine and the cabinet size, IS200 is better.

Thats exactly what i wanted to hear :-). All i care about at the moment is a smooth ride and a good sound system otherwise i would have ripped the stock sound system out and replaced it. thanks for the replies. I htink i've made my mind up. Now its just a matter of finding one. Anyone want to buy a 2002 Nissan 200sx Spec R?

I had a is200se for a couple of years and now have an Accord 2.4 exec and i must say the Accord is the winner , not by much , but still the winner as it feels more upto date (I know the is200 has been around for a few years more) I am sure the new is250 will kick the Accord into a "cocked hat" ! But between the 2 the Honda just scrapes it !

Hope i have`nt offended anybody ..... :shutit:

I had a is200se for a couple of years and now have an Accord 2.4 exec and i must say the Accord is the winner , not by much , but still the winner as it feels more upto date (I know the is200 has been around for a few years more) I am sure the new is250 will kick the Accord into a "cocked hat" ! But between the 2 the Honda just scrapes it !

Hope i have`nt offended anybody .....  :shutit:

Why is it better? Please be specific? engine? sound system? etc... :)

Wellllllllll its all down to personal choice , the Accord (2.4) is faster (top end & 0-62 dash) it has more toys (sat-nav as standand) the stereos are just as good as each other , although the is200 does look more sharper in the styling . Its all down to you and what you like .

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links