Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

J160 Vs. V160

SpOcK

Anyone familiar with the V160 gearbox? Our IS200 has the 6spd Getrag J160 M/T. I think that V160, in turn, is from Supra Mk IV, and it's said to be in-destructible... :blink:

Anyone knows the differences between those two gearboxes? Is it possible to make the V160 to fit IS200?

I know that the blocks are totally different in those two cars (1G vs. 2JZ), but this was just a thought if anyone has tried it...

And yes, I also know that those Supra M/T 'boxes are extremely difficult to source... :sick:

Sorry to go slightly off topic here but Mat, would the Getrag 6 speed box in the Supra, the V160, fit the IS300 2JZ-GE or would modification be required? TIA

yep, twill fit but needs some modifications to fit perfectly, nothing 2 hard.well apart from the propshaft

Getrag is a German company as far as I know.

They still produce the V160 gearbox.

But be prepared for $$$$$$$$$ :ph34r:

The V160 is still used on BMW M5 or such. :unsure: (not 100% sure which cars, but they use it) ;)

Our IS200 has the 6spd Getrag J160 M/T.

Is the box really a Getrag? That would make sense, the worst part of the vehicle is a bit made in Germany!

The worst part of the car is the clutch. ;)

And I don't know where's this made.... :whistling:

Our IS200 has the 6spd Getrag J160 M/T.

Is the box really a Getrag? That would make sense, the worst part of the vehicle is a bit made in Germany!

The worst part of the car is the clutch. ;)

And I don't know where's this made.... :whistling:

I heard suggestions that the gear box isn't that bad.

Gearboxes are robust and can take much more power than the stock torque is.

That's why they are so expensive.

The weakest link between the engine and the wheels is the clutch. :yawn:

The clutch isn't great but there are more complaints about poor gear change between 1st and 2nd and 2nd and 3rd than anything else.

I must admit the IS gearbox always reminded me of my Supra TT box - that also had a poor gearchange in normal driving but at least you had the excuse it was a powerful sports car not a so call luxury car where you expect a smooth box.

The clutch isn't great but there are more complaints about poor gear change between 1st and 2nd and 2nd and 3rd than anything else.

I must admit the IS gearbox always reminded me of my Supra TT box - that also had a poor gearchange in normal driving but at least you had the excuse it was a powerful sports car not a so call luxury car where you expect a smooth box.

Yes not wrong, but we talked about " :o Weakness or not Weakness :shifty: ".

And in my opinion the IS gearbox isn't weak.... far too short. :yawn:

It's strong enough to handle more than the doubled power. :)

Gearboxes are robust and strong at all, the most expensive part in a car. :ph34r:

The clutch should be changed also on supercharged IS'es. ;)

• 2 years later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links