Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

3d Cad Software

crazylex

Anyone got suggestions/ experience of 3d design software.

I am after somethng downloadable and free preferably.

i want to be able to alter the design of some machinery (from a dig photo) to effectively redesign it, before giving the job to a pro.

Any suggestions - or even anyone do it ?

what kind of experiance do you have with 3D cad software so far?

I dont think there is anything that is free that is worth having out there, unless you can get a decent "copy".

Is it a multi part design? does it need to be prototyped?

Is the part to be CNC machined?

what kind of experiance do you have with 3D cad software so far?

I dont think there is anything that is free that is worth having out there, unless you can get a decent "copy".

Is it a multi part design? does it need to be prototyped?

Is the part to be CNC machined?

What I want to do is, using a car as an example, (although it has nothing to do with cars), is take the overall view on a screen and stretch it,change contours/lines. add bits on/take bits off - that kind of stuff. I suppose in the Lexus case its maybe how the designers came up with ideas for the new model.

Or even like taking a photo of an IS and making look like that cartoon of the IS with huge floppy wheels and a huge exhaust (some one has it as an avitar).

Its not going to be a rigid engineering design for CNC (at this stage), but more of an artists impression of what something could be modified to, to change its aesthetics. Then we would pass these ideas on to a proper designer. Basically we want to have some ideas in our heads to give a design something to work on.

Not had any experience of CAD software.

Thanks for the suggestions

Don't think the cad programs I've posted will be off any help to you

cann't think of anything that would

when using cad software (any cad software) it's all based on the diamensions/info that you put in, thats how you make the item/part on screen. you can download parts (3D) from the net but these will always come with the info needed

what ever you are doing you will need to type in the info yourself length, width height ec ect and set the scale inch/mm

as for adding and removing parts they will have to be a part in them selves so that you can do this operation

what are you trying to do in real life

whats it for

id like to have a play with some software, so i can make up the parts i need before sending them to be made......

brackets, mounts etc etc

even so far as making up a fuel tank..........yep, for the drift car

Edited by Monster-Mat

Don't think the cad programs I've posted will be off any help to you

cann't think of anything that would

when using cad software (any cad software) it's all based on the diamensions/info that you put in, thats how you make the item/part on screen. you can download parts (3D) from the net but these will always come with the info needed

what ever you are doing you will need to type in the info yourself length, width height ec ect and set the scale inch/mm

as for adding and removing parts they will have to be a part in them selves so that you can do this operation

what are you trying to do in real life

whats it for

Have had a look at the Pro Engineer on a site and it has a design/styling part

which looks like it might be the type of thing I am after, or my best bet.

Can't say what it is I am afraid. :shutit: but nothing dodgy!

if you have never ever used cad software before you will find it exceptionaly difficult, or even if you have no machining knowlege then you will not be able to create the paths etc that will be achievable.

Basicaly i was trained as a draughtsman over many years as well as a machinist and can use 3D cad software, but 3D modeling of a whole car would take many many hours to input and is more in the legue of a professional than an amature.

Designing one single part would be easier than the whole car!

if you have never ever used cad software before you will find it exceptionaly difficult, or even if you have no machining knowlege then you will not be able to create the paths etc that will be achievable.

Basicaly i was trained as a draughtsman over many years as well as a machinist and can use 3D cad software, but 3D modeling of a whole car would take many many hours to input and is more in the legue of a professional than an amature.

Yeah, I am beginning to think a pro is needed sooner rather than later. Its not a car though, that was just an example. Got an "a" O level GSE in Eng drawing (20 years ago !!) but whilst I can draw that sort of stuff this is way out of my league, Maybe what I need is a few "artists impressions" I suppose to give a design bod to convert to computer image.

Yeah, but a decent designer will cost you about £25+ per hour! and the software they use costs over £4k a licence!

Maybe if its just small parts a small engineering company may be of use.

If you want to talk i can help with the design issues etc.

Sounds to me that CAD is not really what you want, you are looking to manipulate a picture to see how something looks if you stretch, compress and add bits on etc.

I have been using AutoCad for years and 2D is no problem but 3D is a whole different ball game, never managed to get anthing useful out of it. CAD can produce a "wire frame" type representation of an object or building but how to manipulate it in 3 dimensions must be a nightmare. I have seen 3D modelling done on Microstation and it is good but I can't even draw a 2D box using it!

Not very helpful I know but really think you should be looking in another direction.

@ Mat

2D or 3D package

have you used anything b4?????

i have breifly used a package before to do the design for the prolex wheels....

i think ideally i would need 3d for what i hope to achive

If your making brackets, mounts ect

mainly sheet fabrication I would say a 2D package would be best as your only making 1 item, where as if you was design assembly of parts this is where 3D comes in as you can fit all the parts together to make sure it all fits correctly and nothing hits

1 thing that you will be able to do with 2D or 3D is creat what is called a dfx file which then can be given to a lazer cutting firm, They can then load this straight in to there machine and start cutting your bracket ect

I just think you will pick 2D up quicker than 3D which you could then use later on down the road so to speak

Sorry for going :offtopic:

Yeah, I am beginning to think a pro is needed sooner rather than later. Its not a car though, that was just an example. Got an "a" O level GSE in Eng drawing (20 years ago !!) but whilst I can draw that sort of stuff this is way out of my league, Maybe what I need is a few "artists impressions" I suppose to give a design bod to convert to computer image.

Friend of mine use a few 3D packages

most that I listed above so if you want to see a 3D model of it when you've got your impressions done I could have a word

• 7 years later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links