Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Front Fog Lights Not Working

atce4

Hi,

Turned my front fog lights on yesterday and nothing happened. Bit odd as both were working OK a week or so ago. Have checked the fuse and that's OK; can hear a relay operate and the indication comes up on the dash but still no light. Thought I would check the bulbs but this is where I'm having difficulty. The handbook simply says to release 2 clips and remove the wheel arch liner but it seems securely fixed with a number of bolts as well. Also, previous threads on the subject mention ventilation slots in the liner for the auto version but I can't see any (the cars is a 53 reg). As the car is still under warranty I was thinking of letting the dealer have a look but if it's just the bulbs blown it could be an expensive visit!

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

Thanks

It makes me laugh the fog light bulbs are meant to be easily accessible!!! :tsktsk:

They are in the most difficult place to get at!!!

I made the mistake of replacing the bulbs with some PIAA's and it took me 3hrs to do the entire job where as in the manual it make it look so easy. 2001 model.

I cant help aon your issue mate but i thought i would add my rant.

Never again make the attempt :angry:

It makes me laugh the fog light bulbs are meant to be easily accessible!!! :tsktsk:

They are in the most difficult place to get at!!!

I made the mistake of replacing the bulbs with some PIAA's and it took me 3hrs to do the entire job where as in the manual it make it look so easy. 2001 model.

I cant help aon your issue mate but i thought i would add my rant.

Never again make the attempt :angry:

Oh dear, I hope it won't take a dealer that long to get to them or I'm looking at a rather hefty labour charge for possibly replacing 2 bulbs (if that's the fault of course)

Just thought though, if these bulbs aren't exactly an easily replaceable item, as seems to be the case, shouldn't their replacement be covered under the Lexus warranty? Just wondered if anyone has come across this situation before?

Ok, i've had the same problem, when i first bought my IS back in May i noticed after a week or so the front fogs weren't working, light up on dash, fuse ok etc etc

Anyway i noticed water was gettin into the fogs (don't know if you have this problem too?) but to get to the fogs there are two ways, if you go from the front there are two 10mm bolts that you need to undo, still not very easy and be prepared for some grazed knuckles, then the whole unit wil pop out and you can access the rear of the bulb.

The other is as you say take away the lower part of the inner arch, there are bolts but you can just pull out a part of it enough to get to the bulb, just separate the bumper from the arch by pulling it out gently.

When i finally got to the bulbs i found that the bulb had corroded in the lamp and the connector had rotted away from the bulb so i have now bought new lamps but have yet to put them on, just waiting for my knuckles to heel!

Dunno if this has helped but it is possible to do but as you say not as easy as the manual suggests!!

Good luck

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I have looked at the fog lights and can't see any water; is it obvious if there is any and if there is water present does it appear in the main clear part of the unit or the opaque round lens part?

Cheers

• 1 month later...
Dear All,

I am a new driver for IS200, found the fog lamp and automatic lamp switch out of order.

Checked the fuse box but can't found any label and relay about

FFL - Font Fog Lamp and

AL - Auto lamp.

other's lamp - normal

Can any Senior help to fix!!!!!

The relay for the front fogs (on the UK right hand drive car) is down on the right side driver's footwell fuse box.

Pull off the trim

Undo the two 10mm bolts

Pull out the fuse board

The fog relay is the smaller relay, last one towards the front of the car at the bottom of the fuse board

Dear All,

I am a new driver for IS200, found the fog lamp and automatic lamp switch out of order.

Checked the fuse box but can't found any label and relay about

FFL - Font Fog Lamp and

AL - Auto lamp.

other's lamp - normal

Can any Senior help to fix!!!!!

The relay for the front fogs (on the UK right hand drive car) is down on the right side driver's footwell fuse box.

Pull off the trim

Undo the two 10mm bolts

Pull out the fuse board

The fog relay is the smaller relay, last one towards the front of the car at the bottom of the fuse board

In Hong Kong also right hand drive.

Have indication on the fuse box to locate which one is ?

Have indication on the fog relay?

Many thanks

forget what the owners manual says about removing the fog lights - the quickest and easiest way is to peel back the wheel arch liner, you do need to remove some bolts and a few push studs, expect to find the aluminium housing corroded and falling apart.

ok then! :forget what the owners manual says about removing the fog lights - the quickest and easiest way is to peel back the wheel arch liner, you do need to remove some bolts and a few push studs, expect to find the aluminium housing corroded and falling apart.

:huh: :P

Dear Mike,

Two day before you told me where is fog lamp relay, I tried to swap with other, the fog lamp still out of order. I also can hear the "*****" sound from reply while turn the fog lamp switch on and off.

Is it possible haven't power and the failure came from fuse and or switch? If yes, which fuse for fog lamp and how to open the panel to check the fog switch.

Need you sincerely help.

Best regards

Ricky1329

Dear Mike,

Two day before you told me where is fog lamp relay, I tried to swap with other, the fog lamp still out of order. I also can hear the "*****" sound from reply while turn the fog lamp switch on and off.

Is it possible haven't power and the failure came from fuse and or switch? If yes, which fuse for fog lamp and how to open the panel to check the fog switch.

Need you sincerely help.

Best regards

Ricky1329

Do you mean a "clicking" type of sound? If so this is almost certainly a relay

Dear Mike,

Need you sincerely help.

Best regards

Ricky1329

Do you mean a "clicking" type of sound? If so this is almost certainly a relay

I haven't hear the clicking sound from reply while turn the switch on and off

I haven't hear the "clicking" sound from relay while turn the switch on and off.

I also change the relay from other and found the relay should work fine.

Is it possible came from the fuse or switch?

If yes, which fuse belong to and how to open the panel to find the switch.

When i came to changing the bulbs in the front fogs i found the bulbs ceased in the sockets, the back of the lamps corroded due to the weather and lack of a rubber boot over the rear of the lamp, took the car to the dealer who changed the 2 lamp units having smashed both bulbs in the process of trying to remove them, warranty job otherwise about £80 each, i got access by pulling the liner away from the wheelarch at the front (gently wont do it) be in possesion of a good torch before you start.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links