Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Strange Voltage Drop And Amp Problem. Please Help

hotcello

hi

I have a 1995 ES300 The car run great even at 145k Miles

The car seem to have a electrical problem.. Battery at crank show 14 on the voltage meter as soon as I turn the headlights it goes down to 13.2 ish and as soon as the AC and the wipers kicks in it goes down to around 12 V Everytime I step on the break the light gets dimmer and the wipers gets slower and as soon as I step on the gas it get's better. I have changed a New Alternator last week but still the same problem. My guy at the shop put a amp meter on the alternator and it's cranking 70 amps but at the Battery it's only getting about 10-15 amp..

no one seem to know what is the problem so please help me if you have the solution or if you have a simular problem

Thanks

ha colin beat me to it! there must be a wiring problem between the alternator and Battery - i assume the alternator has the regulator inside? and that it is not and older style external regulator? check all connections that they are not corroded/loose and as Colin says baybe the Battery itself is at fault - how old is it?

ha colin beat me to it!  there must be a wiring problem between the alternator and battery - i assume the alternator has the regulator inside? and that it is not and older style external regulator?  check all connections that they are not corroded/loose and as Colin says baybe the battery itself is at fault - how old is it?

the Battery is actually quite new, I just got it earlier this year..

the voltage going down sounds like an earth strap has come loose or corroded or the battery is on it's way out.

If the alternator is putting out 70A and the battery is only getting 15A then something must be getting hot - should be easy to detect that.

Hi Colin,

The Battery is fairly new, got it earlier this year. Any idea where I should be checking for the corroded or what is a earth strap? where is it?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links