Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheel Compatability

IanB

I'm looking to buy 4 x 16" wheels to use with winter tyres for my IS300 Sportcross. I was planning to go for IS200 wheels, but I've seen some current model Toyota Avensis Verso wheels for sale. The seller says they'll fit on the Lexus IS, but I just wanted to be sure lest I make a mistake. They are too far away to physically check them.

They are described as 6.5JX16 PCD 5X114.3 ET45 BORE 60.1, 5 stud fitting.

Does anyone know, or can you suggest where I could seek a definite view?

Perhaps I'm better waiting for some IS ones to come up.

Thanks,

Ian.

Thanks Mike. To be honest, I don't much care about the looks. It'll probably bother my 20 year old son more than me! But then he poses round in his lowered Saxo, so what do I know?

Anyway, I'll only put the wheels on when it snows. According to the forecasts that could be quite a bit this winter, and living in rural Aberdeenshire we are sure to get some.

Maybe this will give me the chance to experience the pleasures of IS motoring in snow that fluff was talking about! I'm looking forward to it, 'cos I think the car is great.

Cheers,

Ian. :)

In case anyone is interested, I've researched the Verso/IS wheel compatability issue. After some exchange of photos with the seller, I'm as sure as I can be without actually fitting them. that they won't fit on the front wheels of my IS300SC due to insufficient clearance for the brake calipers. Rear ones would fit though.

I don't know how to attach photos to this message, otherwise I could show you.

So I'm now looking for Standard 16" wheels, since my local dealer says they will fit.

Cheers,

Ian.

In case anyone is interested, I've researched the Verso/IS wheel compatability issue. After some exchange of photos with the seller, I'm as sure as I can be without actually fitting them. that they won't fit on the front wheels of my IS300SC due to insufficient clearance for the brake calipers. Rear ones would fit though.

I don't know how to attach photos to this message, otherwise I could show you.

So I'm now looking for Standard 16" wheels, since my local dealer says they will fit.

Cheers,

Ian.

I'll be very surprised is the Avensis rims don't fit - they are exactly the same spec as the IS rims. And the IS uses the same chassis as the Avensis plus similar running gear. Anyway, you won't know until you try.... :)

Rob, thanks for the info. I've enrolled onto photobucket.com, so here goes:-

Firstly, this is the back of the Avensis Verso 16" wheel (current model I believe, earlier ones had 15" wheels?):-

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/bow...fVersowheel.jpg

Next, this is the back of my wheel:-

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/bow...ckofISwheel.jpg

And here is my front wheel to show how close the caliper comes (2 mm):-

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/bow...erclearance.jpg

I'm not a wheel expert, but to my engineers eyes, the "scooping" at the back of the wheel as the spokes leave the hub looks deeper on the IS wheel than on the Verso. This is the area where my front caliper is at its closest. What do you think? Also, are my calipers the same as those on the IS200?

The Verso spec says the offset is 45, whereas the Lexus is 50. If I knew someone who had a Verso locally, I could try it, but the vendor is 500 miles away, so no chance of just popping down to see.

Bottom line is I'm not prepared to risk it. Anyway after Mike's comments about tractors, I guess proper Lexus wheels will get less flak!

Cheers,

Ian.

I've measured my spare . It's a full sized, standard 5 spoke 17" alloy with "Toyota" and "17X7JJ 50" embossed on the back and a 215/17ZR45 tyre fitted). Using an equation I found on the net, I worked out :-

Offset = Backspace - (0.5 x Rim Width) = 50mm

Also, the bloke selling the Verso wheels said he looked up the IS300 "estate" in a wheel spec book he has, and told me my offset should be 50. Mind you, the book also told him the wheels should be 16", but he correctly thought the wheels should be 17"

So am I barking up the wrong tree, or what? I just want to understand it! The truth is out there somewhere.....!

Cheers,

Ian.