Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sadly my experience with Lexus hasnt been great. I bought a new RX300 SEL with a wood pack for £38500 in January 2004. Since then I have had a new bonnet (rust), a new master brake cylinder and brake servo unit (major hydraulic failure), and a new wiring loom to the rear susension (suspension failure). Car off road for over 2 weeks. Eventually fed up with the car, you know how it is, I have started to notice the things that niggle about the car. Particulary the range of only 300 miles on a full tank and the harsh engine note on full acceleration. Trading in at age nearly 2 has been a nightmare - offered £22000 against a BMW and £22500 against a Merc - dealers tell me very poor market for big thirsty 4*4's and book price in say parkers guide unrealistic. My advice to prospective buyers - dont buy new unless you plan to keep car for ever (good luck with maitenance costs when out of warranty).

Sounds like you really did have a rough time with the car. I know what you mean about the depreciation of new cars, wanted to trade the IS200 in after 2 months against a *shock horror* (Scooby), they wanted to knock off £5K, so I told them they could knock themselves off.

Have decided to keep the IS for a little while longer so I can at least get my money's worth. Maybe if that EVO X ever comes out :tomato: :D

Ash

I dont think you'll find the experience with BMW any different after 2 years of buying new vehicle, the price they'll offer you will be somewhat different to Parkers with many reasons why. All they want to do is make a large turn on each vehicle, I've been there, even with popular saloon models.

Sadly my experience with Lexus hasnt been great. I bought a new RX300 SEL with a wood pack for £38500 in January 2004. Since then I have had a new bonnet (rust), a new master brake cylinder and brake servo unit (major hydraulic failure), and a new wiring loom to the rear susension (suspension failure). Car off road for over 2 weeks. Eventually fed up with the car, you know how it is, I have started to notice the things that niggle about the car. Particulary the range of only 300 miles on a full tank and the harsh engine note on full acceleration. Trading in at age nearly 2 has been a nightmare - offered £22000 against a BMW and £22500 against a Merc - dealers tell me very poor market for big thirsty 4*4's and book price in say parkers guide unrealistic. My advice to prospective buyers - dont buy new unless you plan to keep car for ever (good luck with maitenance costs when out of warranty).

:crybaby: I had my RX300SE for 3 months, got P**ssed off with 20MPG and poor paintworkmanship, got offered 28K from one lexus dealership (paid 32K) told them where to go, PXed it for 30K with anther lexus dealer, they STILL have not sold it!!!!, it only had 2000MILES on it.

I sold it in march, its still sitting there, these cars don't sell well in the south east. :crybaby:

Last week I sold my RX300-SE for £23.500. Traded it in & have gone back to RAV4 XT4. My wife & I could not get on with the Lexus we only had it for 5 months. The foot /hand brake really got on my nerves I`m 6ft 4" & it was a real pain using that brake. Lots of other niggly things that I won`t go onto.

We are happy Ravers again

Regards to all ;)

Last week I sold my RX300-SE for £23.500. Traded it in & have gone back to RAV4 XT4. My wife & I could not get on with the Lexus we only had it for 5 months. The foot /hand brake really got on my nerves I`m 6ft 4" & it was a real pain using that brake. Lots of other niggly things that I won`t go onto.

Regards to all ;)

Hi Alex, sorry to hear you could not get on with your Lexus, on the footbrake issue i never use it as the car is an automatic, i was told this on a Porche Cayenne day out by an advanced driver that there was no point as the wheels are locked when the car is in park, so it's not an issue with me. Be interested to know what else you did'nt like though, anyway good luck with your new car hope you enjoy it. :unsure:

Regards to all ;)

Just sold my 2001 SE - one of the best cars I have owned, struggled with the lack of oomph at certain speeds, lack of extra cogs on the 'box and the turning circle.

Can't fault the equipment and comfort - which probably outweighs the negatives.

sorry to hear about your pronlems with your rx,I just hope I am not going down the same road as you .I would be very interested in why you had your brake master and servo units changed ,I am still not happy with the braking on my RX300SEL 2003 .the brake pedal falls away when stopped in traffic and gives the same feeling when coming to a slow stop.I would be very greatfull in your comments.

swager

sorry to hear about your pronlems with your rx,I just hope I am not going down the same road as you .I would be very interested in why you had your brake master and servo units changed ,I am still not happy with the braking on my RX300SEL 2003 .the brake pedal falls away when stopped in traffic and gives the same feeling when coming to a slow stop.I would be very greatfull in your comments.

swager

First the warning light comes on (ie the parking brake light stays on all the time) followed very shortly after by loss of virtually all braking. The brake pedal could be depressed nearly all the way to the floor with no resistance then sudden, I presume emergency, almost not controllable braking in the last 1cm of brake pedal travel.

I have now bough a BMW 535d, 0-62mph in 6.5s and 35mpg overall.

Kaldoc

I have now bough a BMW 535d, 0-62mph in 6.5s and 35mpg overall.

Kaldoc

Nice car...I test drive one and thought it was excellent...reallllly quick. What put me off was the cost to spec it the way I wanted (leather, zenon headlamps, decent stereo) etc...came out wrong side of £42k...

Plus after finding out that anything you add to a BMW adds nothing to resale I was very reluctant to go down that route.

If you find the ride a wee bit hard swap out the run flats, know a guys who did that on a 535d and said it transformed the ride...he kept same wheels and "just" had to swallow the cost of 4 tyres.

Hi kaldoc,

any chance of any more info into your brake failures as I do not seem to be getting anywhere with Lexus on the brake condition I have on my RX300 SEL. or is it time for me to visit BMW or MERC

thanks

Swager

Swager, If you are experiencing that "fall" in peddle pressure, then get the car back to lexus and MAKE them do the repairs, your life depends on those brakes!!!

Read my lexus problems under "lexusjohn" I had many and gave up on them eventualy and I spent close on 50K with them!!! :yack:

• 3 weeks later...

Swager, If you are experiencing that "fall" in peddle pressure, then get the car back to lexus and MAKE them do the repairs, your life depends on those brakes!!!

Read my lexus problems under "lexusjohn" I had many and gave up on them eventualy and I spent close on 50K with them!!! :yack:

Hi Lexusjohn,

new master cylinder fitted to our RX300 .Lexus Bristol let us have a new RX for a week to test drive and see if the brakes condition is the same in a new RX.The answer to that one is the brakes on the new RX were very different to our 53 RX in the peddle movement and braking at low speeds.So with a little help from customer service and sales at Bristol we are getting there.Service still dont know if this will cure the condition ,will let all you guys know how we get on .I still can not understand why all the other guys that own a Rx300 put up with this dipping of the brake pedal when in stop start road conditions as I have driven many other new cars and have never had this happen and also being an engineer I want to know why things happen.Will let you know how we get on

Swager

Hi Lexusjohn,

new master cylinder fitted to our RX300 .Lexus Bristol let us have a new RX for a week to test drive and see if the brakes condition is the same in a new RX.The answer to that one is the brakes on the new RX were very different to our 53 RX in the peddle movement and braking at low speeds.So with a little help from customer service and sales at Bristol we are getting there.Service still dont know if this will cure the condition ,will let all you guys know how we get on .I still can not understand why all the other guys that own a Rx300 put up with this dipping of the brake pedal when in stop start road conditions as I have driven many other new cars and have never had this happen and also being an engineer I want to know why things happen.Will let you know how we get on

Swager

Swagger, I found after the first "Lexus car" the caring attitude all but disapeared, I had a road angel hard wired by them and they picked the suppy off athe lights somewhere, so when driving at night with lights on voltage dropped slightly and the angel stopped getting it's signal, they took two more attempts to rectify this!!!

I hope you stick at them and insist they satisfy you for safty sake. Having had my go at lexus I would still come back to them IF the car was right, mybe GS450h who knows, because all dealers have there pros/cons we just have to make the best of it, good luck :winky:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links