Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car's Died

monster

Yesterday was waiting at some lights and the car shuddered. Thougt it was just the wind. Then a couple of seconds later it did it again and the car stalled. Tried to start it up again and it would attempt to start but wouldn't tick over. Called out RAC and he said there was fuel pressure from the pump near the back wheels but there wasn't at the engine...just came out like a trickle :crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

Anyway, got it booked in the garage tomorrow morning but can anyone give us a heads up on what might have caused this and how much it I might be looking at for a fix? Is there a secondary pump further along the fuel line that may have packed up? Or how difficult would it be to fix if there is blockage in the fuel line?

Any mechanical help would be much appreciated.

Ta

Miles

I think at some point a while back Chris (TheDon) was on about the black piggyback ECU failing which could cause problems with the car starting, I don't have a clue mechanically but that may also be another point of failure if it is doing anything with the fuelling?

I do normally let the fuel get just above the red light before filling up :blush: so could this be the prob? If it is the fuel filter how easy a fix is it? Where is it located? Any idea how much this would cost to replace? Could it be a diy job for someone with no experience?

Nice one guys!!! Hopefully it won't be the ECU as it fairly new, but I do tend to gun it upto the required speed limit! :whistling:

Yeah - thats an old wives tale about 'gunk in the tank'..

Yes, there used to be sediment in the old days, but fuel refineries mean petrol is cleaner and more pure - and you should be able to run your car on very low tank without any problems...

All I am saying is that a fuel filter is there to FILTER the fuel. Any dirt in the tank or fuel will be taken out by the filter. Filling up out of a can or just the accumulation of dirt over time will be in the filter.

Its just something to try who knows how old the car is and whether it has had the filter changed. It may be that the car is 6 years old and has never had a filter change, unlikely but possible. The simptoms he has given could indicate a blockage in the fuel filter.

Monster, if you have a mate with an IS try swapping the fuel pump relay. Sometimes they can play up and cause all sorts of problems.

Just got it into the garage now. Hopefully it won't be anything too serious....and with water coming from the exhaust it does sound like the fuel filter. The guy at the garage said that they don't usually replace them so it could be a possibility. Anyways I'll let you all know when I find out. Cheers for all the help!! :)

Ta

Miles

Right here goes mate.......

From my understanding the garage has swapped the fuel filter which was blocked and are in the process of replacing the fuel pump which had a cracked housing. The pump apparent costs £360 from Toyota so I'm getting a second hand one for £140 which needs to be posted. All fuel lines are clear so hoping that this is the reason for no pressure to the engine rather than anything else not found.

Still going to add up to some much needed Xmas dosh :(

Also got me thinking about whether to sell up or not as I wouldn't want the car to go again with a little un on the way....and it's already been around the planet a couple of times! :driving:

Right..... they've changed the fuel filter and pump this morning and got the pressure up to standard. They've also had it running for 3-4 mins before it cuts out. They're now looking at the electrical side of things and the piggy back ecu to see if that's the problem.

Right..... they've changed the fuel filter and pump this morning and got the pressure up to standard.  They've also had it running for 3-4 mins before it cuts out.  They're now looking at the electrical side of things and the piggy back ecu to see if that's the problem.

Tell them to just take it off, if it runs fine then it could be that them :D

erm, im sorry, but i doubt the filter was blocked.

even though it can be changed its a non servicable item

as far as the pump not working, i think there pulling your leg on that aswell.

why, cos you have the same symptoms.

the housing on the pump is metal, and sits in a plastic cradle, if this cradle was cracked....it wouldnt make a jot of a difference.

personally i think the garage is assuming your lexus is like any other car, and going for the simple fix first.